1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Hopefully all 268 people that have viewed this get their asses over there and think about it.

We've been losing a metric shit-ton of people to no seatbelts lately, but helmets aren't a bad idea. Head + tube = bad news for your skull/brain.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i started wearing one last year when a friend of mine cracked his head open in a front flip over,you only get one brain,use it ,why do you think that race car associations mandate that you wear one,cause they save lives,great thread,spread the awareness,colorado rockcrawlers.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I posted to it MD, I am one of the living ones (luckily) with proof of why you should always wear all the belts and a helmet..

·
4x4 Consultant
7,424 Posts
I am on it Dog.............If any one has been wheeling, rockcrawling or wheeling for any amount of time you know you have hit your head hard a few time on a cage or body panel:shaking:

If I would'nt have had a helmet on during KOH I might not be here with Jody driving style............:laughing:

All humor aside I am taking my spotter helmet along for all trail rides. While you cannot forsee everything happening........we all know when it should go on, during that killer climb, nasty sidehill or when you plan on performing at risk.............

Think about it.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
bump for a great topic. We all need to push for a wholesale change in this hobby's view on seatbelts and helmets. Just think how many talented young men would still be with us it it had happened a few years ago.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Good topic but i have a practical question. There are no skate shops near me and I'd like for me and my wife to have a protec helmet. So I want to order on line. Thing is...I got a big ole snoot. Sometimes larges fit, sometimes it takes an x-large. Protec's site has a crappy size chart that doesn't make sense and you can't read. Someone with a protec let me know how big they are and give me some guidance on fitting one of these things.

BTW, if it helps I will wear a size 7 1/2 to 7 5/8 in a fitted MLB hat

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
ANOTHER good question.... My 2 yr old goes wheeling with me. On tough obstacles he and momma always get out but on mild stuff or between trails he is in the jeep. He needs a helmet too I suppose. I wonder whats out there for someone his size/age?

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
ANOTHER good question.... My 2 yr old goes wheeling with me. On tough obstacles he and momma always get out but on mild stuff or between trails he is in the jeep. He needs a helmet too I suppose. I wonder whats out there for someone his size/age?
I got my 3 yr old a snow-board helmet and my 6 yr old has a Protec helmet.

I am looking today for a Protec before my trip this weekend and I cannot find one for my big mellon either.....I guess all of the skateboarders are kids :laughng:

·
Registered
854 Posts
Very decent bicycle and skateboard helmets are widely available.

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
Not to change the subject at all but I've beenon my wife about wearing a helmet when she rides her horse (roping, cutting/reigning etc.) MX riders, nascar, skiers, and now rock crawlers are wearing helmets. But my wife gets on a 1500 pound animal that is 6ft off the ground with the brain the size of a plum and she won't wear a helmet.

Good thread that said a pro-tec is what me and my daughter have(2yr old). I just hope I don't end up with a vegetable for a wife.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I Don't think helmets are a bad idea. I have also lost friends to not using helmets on street bikes.. But i hope that there never comes a day when we have to be required to have a helmet offroad..:(

I lived on the East coast for a few years and loved to ride my motorcycle without a helmet. I knew the risks and was willing to live with the consinquences.
For those that choose to wear a helmet :beer: to YA.
I just hope It does not become like motorcycle laws and become mandatory In the land of the free.

My condolences go to those who have lost friends and families.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
to tell you the truth i never thought about wearing a helmet....til this thread and then yesterday i was driving home from picking up my boy at grandmas house and i saw this guy crawling down the street long story short i found it was my neighbor who i didnt even recognize because a couple years back had a motocycle accident on the way to sturgis he has severe braindamage and did not know where he was but he was crawling down the street all bloody in just shorts and 105 deg weather i felt so bad after helping him into his wifes car to take him home. before the accident he owned a succesful business and was doing great now he was lost about 2 blocks from his house... i am definitely getting a helmet

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
ALRIGHT! Just wanted to post and say I stepped up! After finding out there was a skate shop 25 minutes from my house me, my bride, and junior got in the truck and headed over. My wife got a protec ace (Bod Bunquist model), my son (who is two) got a protect classic (the small fit perfect). They did not have an extra large for my giant snoot but I just orderd on-line an xl protect ace in matte green finish.

So we are officially helmet wearer's on the trail. For $120 bucks it seems like cheap insurance!

Get it done folks...you'll never forgive yourself if a loved one gets hurt!

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have a bell skate board helmet I got a year ago or so and keep it in the truck. I have a full cabed toyota w/exo but when you hit the B pillar/door or any of it, it hurts like a SOB. I got tired of my head hurting.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
I have a bell skate board helmet I got a year ago or so and keep it in the truck. I have a full cabed toyota w/exo but when you hit the B pillar/door or any of it, it hurts like a SOB. I got tired of my head hurting.
I carry my helmet with all the time. When I was wheeling my S-cab toy I almost knocked myself out hitting the back of the window frame.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
ill one up most of you guys

i was wheelin in the back yard just testing out the new suspension and took a bad bounce,hit the upper back of my head on the rear part of the door frame. About 15 minutes later i woke up with my rig idling up against a tree about 50 feet away from my head bumping site.:eek:........................
............KNOCKED OUT COLD.........and no one home but me.
i now have protecs for evey one in the family and an extra one for a friend or passenger..........................if you get in my rig the belt goes on and the helmet is next if you dont like it ...........GET OUT....:mr-t:

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you guys are having trouble finding protec helmets at the skate shops check out the whitewater kayak stores. They will have the big sizes to fit your melon.

·
Registered
597 Posts
the wife and i talked about helmets for all of us last night.

looks like we will be getting some protec stuff before i finish the buggy,
lets not forget to wear the harness too ive been guilty of just using the lap belt we all have but like a member of my local club says " Eliminate the What Ifs, Harnes Up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts