Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to tap the box for my ram assist. Are there any things I should do as I go along ,like scribe certain parts for relocation purposes, or any tips on taking it apart and putting back together after the drill and tap? Also, after hooking this deal up, do you just bleed the whole system like you normally would? Thanks, Dennis

·
Registered
979 Posts
Rockstomper did mine and he showed me a couple tricks.
Somewhere in the front's a small hole to push the endcap snap ring out. And if you're tapping the endcap, the middle's kind of thin so do it off to the side a bit. After you get the ring out just turn the input shaft and it'll push the cap out, don't go to far or it'll all fall apart. We didn't do the full teardown, just top and front caps. Quick job.

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, I think that PYRO has a write up on hydro steering (and steering boxes in general) on his website.

I don't remember it right off hand, but I'm sure if you searched for his name it'll be there.

Out

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Check out here

They have all the parts for rebuilding saginaw boxes.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
DON'T take apart the small tubes that hold the balls in. If you do have to, keep a small bucket or tub handy as there are about 50 of them:eek: Use grease to hold them in on reassembly. I don't remember why I had that apart when I tapped mine:confused:
You'll figure it out..

WEPS

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well Im fairly mechanically inclined. So I want to tear it down completely and do the tapping in the side. Im sure it must be fully apart to do this. So, I should be able to get this dued back together and work correct? It cant be any more complicated than a tranny rebuild? Thanks, Dennis

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Getting all the balls back in and in the right spot is the only tough part. They actually make a special tool that goes in the piston for this.

Id just tap the top and end cap though. There is no advantage to goin in the side.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
JEEPRZ said:

Id just tap the top and end cap though. There is no advantage to goin in the side.
I beg to differ...the front fitting on the box is fairly vulnerable if done that way.

Thats my main reason for wanting to do it the other way (side of the box near input).

MJ

·
Registered
206 Posts
Maine Jeepah said:

I beg to differ...the front fitting on the box is fairly vulnerable if done that way.

Thats my main reason for wanting to do it the other way (side of the box near input).

MJ
That and your flow is restricted to the tiny passages that feed the piston in the steering box.

·
Registered
561 Posts
JEEPRZ said:
Getting all the balls back in and in the right spot is the only tough part. They actually make a special tool that goes in the piston for this.
i used a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe in place of the tool when i rebuilt my box. i dont see any way you could keep them in place with grease.

JEEPRZ said:
i was planing on going the endcap route till id read a post from someone that said he kept blowing out the endcaps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts