Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
The people that usually ask are teams buying a lot of stuff and they want to write it off. Most people don't even care. :roxy:
Most of the BBQ joints that are using tablets for POS systems around here give you the option of an emailed receipt or they'll just let you take a picture of the tablet screen with your phone so you don't have to give them an email address. When they get home they can print a copy of the photo and they have a receipt.

·
www.SBWinVPS.com
6,982 Posts
There will always be surprises :laughing:

In the past we've had problems keeping a connection(until last year when we were wired). I'm not sure if it was the way our connection was set up or if all the metal in the trailer caused us problems. Would having a router in the trailer help this? :roxy:
You definitely need an AP in the trailer doing just your wifi for POS nothing else.

·
www.SBWinVPS.com
6,982 Posts
Thanks. I'll send Travis a link to this thread and he can come in and tell me no :laughing: :roxy:
If he doesn't have an extra AP they are less than $75 or I can bring one of my old ones from the office I keep as a spare.

·
Registered
411 Posts
If it hasn't already been mentioned, Quickbooks POS is pretty affordable and would handle the barcode scanning, data logging and card readers.

·
Premium Member
3,711 Posts
I can't do anything credit card related on wireless. When 60,000 people hit the lakebed, our wireless signal is gone. As much as I want less wires, I need to be wired. I just need to be wired neater than I was last year. :roxy:
any NFC reader will do. ideally one that is compatible with apple and androidpay. there are USB options. while not necessary. that will cut down on the number of swipes.

also, as has been suggested, getting your Wireless Access Point and setting up a hidden SSID is a must. that will eliminate most of your network problems, allowing you to go wireless.
many wifi routers can be configured as such, I use an apple airport express for this almost every day. (75$ for a refurb. there are cheaper options)

·
* The Printer *
18,161 Posts
I can't do anything credit card related on wireless. When 60,000 people hit the lakebed, our wireless signal is gone. As much as I want less wires, I need to be wired. I just need to be wired neater than I was last year. :roxy:
I had a dedicated router at the Gate and had no issues with an over loaded signal. Our Square Reader worked fine.

The new Square Chip Readers are a bit more finicky. They need to be matched to YOUR phone and be charged up. They will work offline but can't verify the transaction until they get back online. I took a charge offline that then failed when I was back on the net :-(

If you use these, each phone will need multiple readers so you can always have a charged one to swap in or be able to charge it while it is on the phone.

·
Change is good.
35,188 Posts
I think the people that are suggesting methods of getting away from the dust have not been JV during KOH week. :laughing:

The compressed air to blow out the card reader should help, and of course a hard line to the www.

Good ruck. I'll wave at you again from the back of the line.

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
I got this part of this:

have Travis setup in the trailer JUST for POS and then use tablets or phones using a square store which will do inventory cash credit etc.

I'm guessing you mean have him set up our own hidden "network" and we can work wireless? :roxy:
yes. THe issue will be free channels and performance, but your bandwidth needs are pretty light for just processing card info.

if it's hidden and setup with mac address filters it will be secure and no one will dick with it. make certain you're good with that on your card processing side, so you're protected byt their fraud insurance shit.

they usually have a pc metrics exam with questions about your network/firewall.

·
Registered
60,207 Posts
Wireless - The only way to make wireless reliable for Mel is to put the production trailer out at Remote Pit 1 or the welcome gate. Ok, I exaggerate a little, but the issue we have is the overloaded 2.4ghz band once everyone and their mother shows up with their own hot spots, etc. etc. The hot spots are there for her, but the congestion in the ether kills us. It's worst near the jumbotron. That precious 5.8ghz spectrum is not a good option, but as a last resort could be used and that would probably work ok. Even 5.8ghz is thin out there so as to not walk on others I'm operating down in the DFS band.

Now, I think last year was a little better as we worked out who's using what channels where but it still becomes unreliable enough to not trust it. We at least need a wired option in case things don't work.

I tell you now.. This isn't because I care about Mel. :flipoff2: I need her POS terminal stable because I'm already juggling random stuff plus Dave, Shannon, some BLM, media, production crew, VIP's, etc. not to mention power and each year it expands a little. So, that wired option HAS to be there, as something always seems to fail.

Card readers. I can tell you the Square readers can go through hell and back. I brought in several last year that did two popcorn sales duties and a week of KOH without any failures I know of.

Unfortunately, a small hardwire capable POS terminal seems to be a challenge. I was actually looking at open source software that could run on windows or linux the other day, just to handle the sales/inventory needs then use a standard bank style card reader for credit transactions - which would print that cursed receipt by design and has a hardware port in the back.

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
Roxy

What would be sweet is if your trailer and a hand full of other vendors were to set up in a tent sort of like 2012 or 2013.

It eliminates the dust as well as creates a market area, hell throw a coffee/hot chocolate stand in there somewhere.

Honestly I think the bigger problem this year is gonna be wet weather and not the dust.

·
Super Moderator
63,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Is there an option to pre pay and pick up on site?
I've done it in the past and it was a pain in the ass. The other problem is people ordering one size, then asking to exchange for another. I start to run low and someone comes to pick up an order I no longer can fill. We ran 3 lines last year and they were never short. Never. Easily 20 people in each line at all times. It's crazy. I don't have the room in the trailer to keep all of those orders. And I don't have time to run in and out of the trailer to get the orders from where I can store them. :roxy:

·
Super Moderator
63,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Wireless - The only way to make wireless reliable for Mel is to put the production trailer out at Remote Pit 1 or the welcome gate. Ok, I exaggerate a little, but the issue we have is the overloaded 2.4ghz band once everyone and their mother shows up with their own hot spots, etc. etc. The hot spots are there for her, but the congestion in the ether kills us. It's worst near the jumbotron. That precious 5.8ghz spectrum is not a good option, but as a last resort could be used and that would probably work ok. Even 5.8ghz is thin out there so as to not walk on others I'm operating down in the DFS band.

Now, I think last year was a little better as we worked out who's using what channels where but it still becomes unreliable enough to not trust it. We at least need a wired option in case things don't work.

I tell you now.. This isn't because I care about Mel. :flipoff2: I need her POS terminal stable because I'm already juggling random stuff plus Dave, Shannon, some BLM, media, production crew, VIP's, etc. not to mention power and each year it expands a little. So, that wired option HAS to be there, as something always seems to fail.

Card readers. I can tell you the Square readers can go through hell and back. I brought in several last year that did two popcorn sales duties and a week of KOH without any failures I know of.

Unfortunately, a small hardwire capable POS terminal seems to be a challenge. I was actually looking at open source software that could run on windows or linux the other day, just to handle the sales/inventory needs then use a standard bank style card reader for credit transactions - which would print that cursed receipt by design and has a hardware port in the back.
I really like the Clover Mobile but I don't think it can be hardwired =( :roxy:

·
Super Moderator
63,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Roxy

What would be sweet is if your trailer and a hand full of other vendors were to set up in a tent sort of like 2012 or 2013.

It eliminates the dust as well as creates a market area, hell throw a coffee/hot chocolate stand in there somewhere.

Honestly I think the bigger problem this year is gonna be wet weather and not the dust.
Putting me in a tent kills my visibility. People have a hard enough time finding me and I'm right there by the Jumbotron :laughing: But I would like hot chocolate :D :roxy:

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
Putting me in a tent kills my visibility. People have a hard enough time finding me and I'm right there by the Jumbotron :laughing: But I would like hot chocolate :D :roxy:

Well just put a huge pink broccoli on the front of the tent:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
Well just put a huge pink broccoli on the front of the tent:flipoff2:

Seriously though.

I do believe your trailer is the most sought after vendor spot on the lake bed

41 - 60 of 68 Posts