Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont have time to work on my rig at the moment. And at the end of august im moving to denver co. I would like to be able to wheel before i leave, as this might be my last chance to do rubicon and fordyce. The reason i dont have time to work on my rig is im working 10-12 hour days. When i get home im beat and just want to sleep or get some from my girl :D. WFO concepts is about 25 minutes from me and i know they are a reputable shop. I have never taken my rig to a shop for stuff that i know i can do. I almost feel bad. I have torqued every bolt since i bought the jeep but i just dont have time to finish it. All the working that im doing has giving me some spending money. I think im going to take my jeep to wfo and have them finish it. All thats left is brakes driveshafts and other minor stuff. All in all about 15 hours, max, of work. What do you guys think? take it to shop?

·
Premium Member
6,712 Posts
I dunno, i would never take my car to a shop. I actually own a shop and i even hate subletting out customers cars for alignments and such. The only right way is to do it yourself. Just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
i Dunno, I Would Never Take My Car To A Shop. I Actually Own A Shop And I Even Hate Subletting Out Customers Cars For Alignments And Such. The Only Right Way Is To Do It Yourself. Just My 2 Cents....
X2

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
It depends. There are a couple of good shops around me... I just can't afford to take my vehicle in when I can do the work myself. Time=Money though.... If it has to be done and I don't have the time... I take it in.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
do you trust a shop to do things the way YOU want it done?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just be VERY specific and schedule times to review the work being done.

Expensive lessons have taught me a lot, and with small children my time is better spent with them rather than under my junk on big projects.

I actually took my junk to a shop and gave them a week to look it over and give me their input on what needs to be done then we agreed on what to do.

Just do it.

Colorado has some kick ass places to wheel..

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Ive heard good things about WFO...

Ive also heard good things about Dean at Performance Cryogenics getting good work done for people...

http://www.performancecryogenics.com/

Do it... drop it off, write a check, pick it up...

If i could, I would!

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
All thats left is brakes driveshafts and other minor stuff. All in all about 15 hours, max, of work. What do you guys think? take it to shop?
Get the driveshaft from Jesse @ HAD. You won't have to tow your rig anywhere for that.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
WTF is happening to pirate? it's 65 and puring out, I'm going to work on my shit.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
Being that I own a shop I tend to like it when people pay someone else (me) to do the work. I cant afford to do that, nor would I even if I could. I simply enjoy the wrenching process. However I do plenty of work for people with the skills and tools, but not the time. I feel pretty honored that they trust me to do the work for them, and I take it pretty seriously. I try to put a lot of thought into any work I do and make sure that I'd be comfortable with any of it on Beccas competition rig. The reason I dont say "on my own rig" is because she beats her car a lot harder than I do, and a failure is much more costly, both in money AND points.

The biggest issue is how much you trust the people doing the work. There are a few shops out there that I'd absolutely trust my junk with, and there are a few I wouldn't. I wont name names on either side of that, but I've yet to hear anything bad about WFO. If you trust them, then maybe it's worth it to have them wrench so that you can wheel.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Time=Money
That pretty much says it all...you have more money right now than time, so if you want to wheel right now, take it in. If you want the pride in knowing you did everything yourself, tow your junk to CO and finish it when you have time.

In your shoes, I'd have the work done and spend my free time beating the crap out of it at the Rubicon and Fordyce. Like you said, how many more chances will you get?

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,255 Posts
Trevor at WFO rocks. There are very few people I would send my rig to, he is certainly one of them.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
In my experience (from the shop side of things), it's not even what shop you take your vehicle to; it's more who at the shop is doing the work.

One shop I worked at does alot of classic and custom work, we were one of the last shops in the area that would even touch a carburetor other than to just replace it.

We never had a complaint or issue that wasn't readily resolved until about a year after I started working there. Right after a guy named John got hired on, a lot of little complaints (but more serious than normal) started coming in but none of it could be tied to anyone specifically.

Then one of the cars he did a FULL re-wire on caught on fire as the owner picked it up; he didn't even make it out of the parking lot. John was fired on the spot and it went right back to the way it was, rare complaints that were easily resolved.

You need a shop you can trust, but you need to trust the guy that's actually doing the work just as much.

Justin

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
I dont have time to work on my rig at the moment.

I would like to be able to wheel before i leave, as this might be my last chance to do rubicon and fordyce.

The reason i dont have time to work on my rig is im working 10-12 hour days. When i get home im beat and just want to sleep or get some from my girl :D.

All in all about 15 hours, max, of work. What do you guys think? take it to shop?

Get off your ass and do it your self :flipoff2: WTF do you think they invented coffee for??

I'd try to take a day off of work and kick its ass.......

Unless you make over $400 a day (after taxes) .... then its more like why the fuck havent you brought it to WFO yet!!!

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
All thats left is brakes driveshafts and other minor stuff. All in all about 15 hours, max, of work. What do you guys think? take it to shop?
Imo, you're hella ghey if you take it to a shop at this point. Then again, if you've got more money than time, have at it. Its not like you'll be the first.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
I've had to do this myself the last couple of years. I have teh tools adn skills, but not the time. It was tough adn one shop I ahd do some work charge me more for less, by the time it was out of there. Recently I had an awesome experience with Don (FC187). I turned him loose on a project that had zapped me. His price was what he said it would be and the work was bitchen.

Trevor is a good guy. I've bought some parts from him and would definitely let him work on my rig.

I read someone say that time is money. I guess some get paid more than others becasue it's certianly better for me to pay a shop to do what they do for a living and let me continue to do what I'm best at to make money. My hourly bill rate is between $50 and $100/hr. When I'm not working I want to be wheeling. I don't mind tinkering and look forward to it, but anything that is a larger project gets hired out anymore.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts