Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I stumbled upon a Mark III Browning Hi-Power in .40 S&W that might be for sale. Original owner, comes with 3 mags, box, very nice condition, and the trigger is fantastic (kind of rare for a stock Hi-Power) I have always liked shooting my friends 9mm version what's good or bad about one in .40 ?

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
No, buy.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I have a MKIII Practical 9mm. I love it. Buy it and if you want the trigger worked over contact cylinder and slide they do excellent work.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Price?

We are talking Belgium Browning, not FEG copy?

If so, these are rare and hard to find because they only produced them for a few years. They shoot much smother than the 9mm counterparts. Extra mags are a big bonus asmis factory box.

Oh yeah, BUY IT!

·
Surgical Shotgunner
15,752 Posts
If your buying it for the gun and what it is, go for it. If your buying it for the caliber , I say don't be a pussy and get a 45 :flipoff2:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not buying for the caliber, and besides, they don't make a Hi-Power in 45! (yes I already have a 1911) I don't mind single action pistols, and I love the feel of the BHP, but I have never shot one in 40. I looked around on a few forums and the only thing I could find that was "bad" is the slide is a couple oz. heavier, and a few people with the usual: ".40's are the worst round ever, BHP's should only be made in 9mm" and then about 28 responces with the 9mm-vs.-40-vs-.45 debate with not much said about the .40 BHP spacificly. I guess I just want to find out if they have any big problems like "the frames crack in half" or "they won't cycle anything but super high velocity loads" or something like that. as for the caliber, I already handload for 9mm, .40, and .45 so that isn't a concern. Thanks for the input so far!

·
D-FENS
2,387 Posts
I love Hi-powers, but they bite me too much to enjoy. Like make me bleed biting. Moreso than a 1911 with an old school grip safety. Moreso than a Glock. A Hi-power with a beavertail might be my favorite 9mm pistol, but I didn't have the money to commit to it at the time so I traded it away.

·
Poseur SUV
23,695 Posts
I love Hi-powers, but they bite me too much to enjoy. Like make me bleed biting. Moreso than a 1911 with an old school grip safety. Moreso than a Glock. A Hi-power with a beavertail might be my favorite 9mm pistol, but I didn't have the money to commit to it at the time so I traded it away.
Nothing teaches you how sensitive the web of your thumb is better than being bitten by a Hi-Power. :eek::eek::eek: Still though, unless you are very forgetful it shouldn't happen more than once. :flipoff2::

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Browning Hi-power is one of my favorite pistols. I love the vintage ones made in Belgium. They shot good, the fit and finish was excellent.

My friend bought one made in the 90's, the fit and finish was terrible and the function was about the same quailty as a hi-point. It went "bang" every time you pulled the trigger, but it wasn't anything special.

I'd like to have one like this
Browning Hi Power Made in Belguim Proof/Mk MINTY : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

·
Poseur SUV
23,695 Posts
Browning Hi-power is one of my favorite pistols. I love the vintage ones made in Belgium. They shot good, the fit and finish was excellent.

My friend bought one made in the 90's, the fit and finish was terrible and the function was about the same quailty as a hi-point. It went "bang" every time you pulled the trigger, but it wasn't anything special.

I'd like to have one like this
Browning Hi Power Made in Belguim Proof/Mk MINTY : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com
The new ones say Made in Belgium, Assembled in Portugal. They are beautifully made a pleasure to shoot.

Sorry for the bad pictures. With the flash it was all glare.

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
The High Power was designed around the 9mm and there have been reports of the .40 versions not holding up long term. Not an issue if you don't plan to shoot it much though.

·
D-FENS
2,387 Posts
Nothing teaches you how sensitive the web of your thumb is better than being bitten by a Hi-Power. :eek::eek::eek: Still though, unless you are very forgetful it shouldn't happen more than once. :flipoff2::
Exactly the opposite. My muscle memory is to ride as high as possible. Doesnt bother me on a pistol I shoot thousands of rounds a year out of because it has a beavertail.

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
Don't do it. The .40 is at its worst when it is poorly shoehorned into a 9mm gun.

Some engineers seem to thing hogging out the feed ramp is enough to make that shit caliber feed correctly, with the same results as '70s gunsmiths' attempts to get 1911s to feed SWCs.

Before the shitstorm about calling it a shit caliber, the case length is too long for the OAL, meaning you need blunt bullets to fit the magazine, which feed like empty cases do. Violently and unreliably.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts