Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When does the lower amount of flex of taller leafs start to offset the gain from removing blocks?

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
HUH?? :confused:
rephrase that for me

·
Banned
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you add new "lifted" leaf springs without any other changes, at some point they have less flex than stock ones. Either due to the arch, length needed for flex, or limits from shackles.

Blocks can cause axle wrap/hop.

Where is the trade off? I need to lift the rear of my truck to match the 3" I am raising the front. I can go with 4" lift leafs (to remove the current add-a-leaf and 3/4" stacked block in my stock leafs) or I can get 5-7" leaf packs and remove the factory 3" block also.

With my current setup, I can get the leafs to invert into an "S" when stuffing the rear end. I don't notice any axle wrap or hop with worrying about.

So do I loose the blocks and get the taller leafs, which will have more arch and may be impacted by the stock shackle setup (the leaf is above the shackle mount) or do I keep the 3" block and go with 4" leafs (and get smaller block if 4" is too tall)?

That better?

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
Whats it on, how big are we talkin here? 8 inch blocks? 2 inch blocks? I guess its all relative to vehicle vs. useage.

Oh, and you call that a low member number? :flipoff2: :p

·
Banned
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keith Strong said:
Whats it on, how big are we talkin here? 8 inch blocks? 2 inch blocks? I guess its all relative to vehicle vs. useage.

Oh, and you call that a low member number? :flipoff2: :p
Its the factory 3" blocks on my 97 1500 Ram.I use my truck mainly as a DD but wheel it whenever I can. I don't really tow/haul with it anymore. Mainly the Home Depot type junk, trips to the dump, etc. if I do.

318, auto, 4.56's , rear Detoir, front Lock-Right.

3" lift currently (rear uses AAL and 3/4" extra block) but going 3" taller with custom lower long arms, relocated uppers.

I suppose I need to change my sig line.. I put that one up when we were discussing the newbies with 1,000 posts and being member 10k+ and during the chit-chat posts not counting anymore.

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
Pavemen said:

I suppose I need to change my sig line.. I put that one up when we were discussing the newbies with 1,000 posts and being member 10k+ and during the chit-chat posts not counting anymore.
I was just teasin man ;) Honestly, I am no expert, but I know I wouldnt run any more blocks if it was me. 3-4 inches is the most I would run on ANY truck ;) I would go spring from where you are. And if its not a TRAIL/Rock rig, I would say Id rather have the lack of flex and lower potential for disaster than anything else.

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Keith Strong said:

I was just teasin man ;) Honestly, I am no expert, but I know I wouldnt run any more blocks if it was me. 3-4 inches is the most I would run on ANY truck ;) I would go spring from where you are. And if its not a TRAIL/Rock rig, I would say Id rather have the lack of flex and lower potential for disaster than anything else.
I am running 3.5" blocks and then 6" springs on my dodge....I dont get any axle wrap, and i drive it pretty damn hard, plus tow with it.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
I say stack those blocks. What's wrong with stacking three sets of blocks?:confused: :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
The day I put a block under my leafs. That is the day you can kill me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
blocks r gay i hate mine all my truck does is hop and hop i bought the truck like that with teh 3 inch blocks im gonna get new leaf springs soon as i get some cash to do so. dont go with blocks

·
Banned
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ya'll need to remeber that my truck came with 3" blocks from the FACTORY.

I have had no issues with them in 130,000 miles, with lots of flex too.

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
MNy cummins has blocks too, adn I get no wheel hop or anything. Course I dont wheel mine, and I have the camper over load springs :D Blocks serve a purpose, Wheelin is just not that purpose :laughing:

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Another option you may want to look into is lowering the front mount, then doing a shackle flip. You will loose some down travel, but it may work out for you. Personally, i really like the dodge leaf springs.. mine flex great... and what I really like is that it is a well balanced suspension. If you do end up getting lift springs, drop me an email, and I may be intrested in your stock leafs for my old dodge... tho, i do have a set of 4" lift springs on there already...

BTW, either way, i would lower the bump stops so that the spring cant go past flat... really kills the spring alot faster that way.

Garrett

·
Registered
48 Posts
How much flex you have with lift leafs really depends on the leafs. If you have a spring pack with few but thick leafs then they will be very stiff and not flex well, but if you have a spring pack with lots of thin leafs, they wil support the same weight and flex better than your stock ones. Almost all pickups have blocks from the factory. I would sugest going with leafs versus blocks for lift.

·
Banned
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hick - The stock leaves have major sag as it is. Even if I wasn't going up another 3", I'd be replacing them. So I doubt they'd work for you. The driver side is about 1-1/2" low... looks like crap

Jaretthumphrey- My question is not whether or not to add blocks, but to keep the ones I have and use a 4" leaf pack, or loose the block (I do need a small one cuz of the perch deisgn and I don't want to swap perches) and go with 7" leafs.

The more I look at it, the more I am going to go with the 4" leaf pack and keep the OEM block. Then I don't like it, i will do a 2" drop front hanger and a flip the rear. to loose the block

1 - 18 of 18 Posts