Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this diesel truck for a few years now. It has acquired a few nicknames to include Miller high life @guidolyons Goldie locks from my wife, and my other less friendly pirate friends generally refer to it as the millennial’s coal rolling Riced out brodozer.

So I have been itching for my first project. I live in an apartment in Houston and have a little one car garage/fab shop, and decided it was time to build something “cool” and attempt to improve the ride of my truck. Figured I would put this in the tow rig section as it seems more appropriate for a long bed quad cab diesel.

I have been drooling over a long arm setup for years. There is a pretty sweet radius arm build on Cummins forum, along with a few here. Though I just didn’t want to go that route, I need all the flex I can get for the curbs at the mall! Fo2

The bds and other long arm kits didn’t appeal due to the short and long arm setup. This leaves a few others which I got most of my inspiration from. Sure, I could have bought a kit but that would be cheating, plus I have a welder, fusion 360. Cnc plasma cutter and my home plasma cutter. It was time to fab something! Ontop of that most long arm kits require at least 3” of lift, if not 5”. The dodge off road one is the lowest sitting one and I think they even want 3” with some body mount cutting, and also require the lower links to be cut off. I wanted to keep this Incase I ever needed to go back to factory.

So, first I had to acquire a tubing bender. I had found some plans on here and the morning I was going to search for some 3/4” steel I found a model 32 for sale for a steal! Got it home and made a frame for it and grabbed a air over hydraulic mount.

I ended up using exhaust clamps to mount the ram... yes I know it is going to fly apart kill me and also kill the bus full of nuns. Those casters... well I live in apartment and shopping carts are always in the dumpster....

I started playing with fusion and got a general idea going. Yes, I had a ton of influence from kits that have already been made... but I really couldn’t found anything I liked better. Plus, I still ended up having to figure out all the measurements and ran a few calculations on the 4 link excel sheet.

At this point, still have a ton to figure out, along with what joints to use and materials to acquire!

·
Registered
775 Posts
are you planning to use the factory axle mounts?

I have contemplated doing the same thing for my 02, so i will be following.

I have also thought about swapping to an 05+ SD 60 front, but dont really need that; atleast until my UBs crap out.

·
Insurance poor
10,064 Posts
, and my other less friendly pirate friends generally refer to it as the millennial’s coal rolling Riced out brodozer.

!
No we don’t. :rolleyes: It’s the millennial’s coal Rolling riced out wife is too hot for him brodozer. :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.

are you planning to use the factory axle mounts?

I have contemplated doing the same thing for my 02, so i will be following.

I have also thought about swapping to an 05+ SD 60 front, but dont really need that; atleast until my UBs crap out.
I am planning on using them.

No we don’t. :rolleyes: It’s the millennial’s coal Rolling riced out wife is too hot for him brodozer. :flipoff2:
haha. :flipoff2:

pics of wife?

you know, to verify the name.
I might need to work on that....

·
Insurance poor
10,064 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Started this off cutting out the main plate of the mount. I knew where I was going to mount on the frame. There is a big hole right where the upper link bolts to, and four smaller holes around it. Made it easy to decide where to mount it.

I didn’t want to drive across town to use the cnc plasma. I ended up making a drawing 3/16” smaller so I could print it and glue it to some plywood. I then cut it out of plywood to trace it with the plasma cutter on some steel plate (hypertherm 45). Note, I only made the edges I traced 3-16” smaller. The side against the edge of the plate was not offset in.

From there I took the plates outside and clamped them to the frame, that way I could use a punch and mark my holes. If only I had a centering punch of the right size.....

Used my digital angle finders a ton! Thanks to the pirate who let me know they were on sale in shop and tools! Basically used them to see what angle the frame was at then to match the bracket to the frame. After it was square I punched the holes and moved to the other side. I dont have the 9/16” bolts so I used 3/8 for mock up.

Next is to start making the upper and lower mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Cool build, I'll be watching

Props for making due with a small space

You've got a lot of stuff in your rental garage, make sure you're covered under a renters policy, I had a nasty homeowners claim, I make sure my tools are covered, and watch out for my imaginary Internet friends:laughing:

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool build, I'll be watching

Props for making due with a small space

You've got a lot of stuff in your rental garage, make sure you're covered under a renters policy, I had a nasty homeowners claim, I make sure my tools are covered, and watch out for my imaginary Internet friends:laughing:
I defiantly made sure I was.... Getting it broken into is a pretty big fear of mine. I generally keep the door closed as much as I can to keep snoopers out.

Now that I think of it I need to update the pictures of what I have in there.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have not had a ton of time to update this the last few days... stupid school!

Though I did get a few things cut out! I originally cut the mounts out using the plywood technique but didn’t like the size and shape of them. Wasn’t due to the technique, I just drew them funky in fusion. Finally got checked out on the cnc plasma at the makers space and made good use of it!

Also, I drew this up a while ago. I need to cut out a mock up on the laser cutter to see how it is going to fit together size wise. Got discouraged when my buddy recomended I make tabs for it all to get it together in the wood state. I really just want to glue it or duct tape it to gather for the 15 min I’m gonna hold it to the truck and call it good!

I soon realized that making tabs and slots for a bumper with geometry like this was a pita and this got put in the back burner back then.

I also would love to find a way to make a somewhat “hidden” compartment to hide a winch in. On top of that it would be even cooler to have the winch removable so I could quickly swap it to the back.

I have always considered putting a winch on a receiver mount and keeping it in my toolbox or can. But if I could make something more trick then that it would be cool! Ideas?

This is another bumper I built about a year ago. I need to put mounts on it to put on the truck, then cut the sides down to final dimensions.

That being said I kind of lost interest in it. I think it looks ok, but I know now I could build something way cooler looking, and would be cool to have the same removable winch mounting system.

Also, my welds have improved a lot since then! :Fo2

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Receiver hitches, stout, universal, decent locks available, rear hitch, front hitch, and the storage hitch in the bed at the front can also be used to load a dead quad or safe or whatever, even used for a loading a car trailer

A more pimp variation of this would be to have a front abs rear bumper with the same profile, the center chunk pulls out and the winch chunk slides in, with matching profile, have an empty chunk to swap ends with.

Reality is, there's decent winches for $300 these days, I'd just put one on each end and forget about it :laughing:

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
In for some fab.

Bumper looks better than the last one I built, which I now realize was around 10 years ago.

I like the idea of a movable winch that isn’t permanently attached to the front bumper. It’s something I plan on looking into in the near future. I would like one that I can move front to back, and take off when I don’t anticipate needing it.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Receiver hitches, stout, universal, decent locks available, rear hitch, front hitch, and the storage hitch in the bed at the front can also be used to load a dead quad or safe or whatever, even used for a loading a car trailer

A more pimp variation of this would be to have a front abs rear bumper with the same profile, the center chunk pulls out and the winch chunk slides in, with matching profile, have an empty chunk to swap ends with.

Reality is, there's decent winches for $300 these days, I'd just put one on each end and forget about it :laughing:
That is a good point. I have defiantly thought about the receiver hitch, but hate how they look hanging off.

I was thinking about some type of siding setup that used hitch pins to secure it.

Mount the winch to some 1/4" plate? Maybe 3/8? have this plate slide into some slides to keep Z axis travel from moving, then a few hitch pins to secure it x and y. I will try to draw something up in CAD tonight.

Bumper wise I would make the top part of the front bumper on a hinge and it can just lift up, kind of like a grill top.

Rear bumper the license plate area would slide down.

In for some fab.

Bumper looks better than the last one I built, which I now realize was around 10 years ago.

I like the idea of a movable winch that isn’t permanently attached to the front bumper. It’s something I plan on looking into in the near future. I would like one that I can move front to back, and take off when I don’t anticipate needing it.

Thanks! I hope to deliver!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts