Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I got a driveway you can use to weld in so you dont get booted from the apartment.
Do you have a plasma cutter/220 hookup? I might need to take you up on that!

It is almost a game now. How much can I get away with before I get booted.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I got a driveway you can use to weld in so you dont get booted from the apartment.
Just so you know he ain’t lying.
This was probably the smartest thing I did for the hole build. I am in gradute school now so I spend most of my time in the AC studying, if not I am in a freezing cold school or OR.

The Texas sun was brutal. I almost quit the project a few times due to it. Once I got that side up it made all the difference! I could work for 2-3 hours without a break where before I was taking one every 15 min to hour.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I love it! I'm wanting to long arm my 3rd gen and add Deavors out back with a set of Foxes or Kings. What joints did you use and what bolt size? What's the Dom spec? Bent on your bender?

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Figured I better add to this. Track bar build.

I was unsure of how my stock track bar was going to hold up, and was pretty nervous about this whole project working. I think I actually started the track bar before everything else... minus having the brackets on and done.

There was a lot of holding the bracket up under my truck, using a magnet to hold on a piece of steel, walking the 400 yards to the garage to tac weld it, walking back and finding out it moved just a hair grinding it off and repeating. Eventually after about 20 trips I got it right.

The previous post showed the tubing and joints I got from barns4x4. Essentially all the dom, inserts and links was about 100 bucks. I used 1 5/8” wide links as this fit the stock bracket down on the axle. (Though I ended up having to grind it down a tad. The lower link was a barns4x4 generic heim and the top is a Johnny joint.

Few more pics of the bracket bolted up.

Got this band saw from Guidolyons and it has been awesome!

Something else worth noting. The general consensus on having a steering system that eliminates bump steer is ensure the track bar and drag link are both the same length and parallel. I could not find any info thought that said how much you could be off and still be ok. Writing this 6 months after the build I can’t remember for sure but I think I ended up 3 degrees off and my track bar a few inches longer. My big issue was my drag link had a slight bend so figuring out the overall slow was difficult. String method didn’t get me super accurate readings either. Needless to say I don’t have any bump steer:

I used a ratchet strap to get it where I wanted the track bar and drilled the hole. Then took everything off. Welded it up and installed it.

You can see I have a lot of extra room below the hole. This is anticipating lifting the truck more and using a drop pittman arm. I can just re-drill the hole and not have to make a whole new bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I love it! I'm wanting to long arm my 3rd gen and add Deavors out back with a set of Foxes or Kings. What joints did you use and what bolt size? What's the Dom spec? Bent on your bender?

They are Johnny Joints. 2.63" and 9/16" Grade 8 bolts. I would love to do coil overs on my truck but don't have the cash for it right now....

I used 2" .25" DOM and bent it on my Model 32 bender.

When do I bring my '97 F250 over so we can do this with a radius arm D60 from an 08 F350? :D
Don't you have a big shop....? You rather fab in the parking lot of my apartment complex? lol

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Looks great. Gotta love Apt Fab. I used to do the same shit when I lived off of Holly Hall over in the Med Center around 10 years ago..

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Looks great. Gotta love Apt Fab. I used to do the same shit when I lived off of Holly Hall over in the Med Center around 10 years ago..
That is very close to where I live!!! haha

Didn't I meet you at Cars and Coffee with Leadfoot and Rttoy?

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
]I knew I wanted to have bent arms on this, mostly to help clear he frame and tires. Had a TON of people tell me it wouldn’t work, or that I would never get them right. I had a buddy who gave me some 2” conduit to practice on.... first try I realized I was going to spend a ton in tubing to get it right. I ordered bend tech and was quickly happy with the progress I made. I emailed Ron and he let me upgrade to 3d and even gave me a military discount.

Had I not spent the cash on this program I know my arms would not have turned out as well.... and probably would have spent more in tubing the the program was.

As you can see... the first prototypes were ok... but here are what I ended up with. This was bent out of 2” .25 dom with my gettofab air over hydraulic mount made out of exhaust clamps.

Came out pretty bitching. Next up was throwing them on the truck. I wish I had more pictures of installing them... but 1. It was hot as balls. 2. I’m pretty sure my phone took a shit and I lost a ton of photos.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
sub'd because I'm looking at doing this myself. Howdy from a fellow houston-ite

also where do you buy your DOM in town?
I got it from EMJ metals... but I had to call them a few times before they gave me a decent price.

Brookshire is the only other place I know that sells DOM for a decent price. Defiantly post up where you got it from and how much you paid.

I know the triple S steel surplus yard currently has some 2" .165" boiler tube in it as well. I am debating picking up a few sticks of that today.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Figured I would finally get around to showing the last steps of this build, putting the arms on the truck!

Figured I should stress test the bracket and see if it could hold up the truck.

First arm going in

Putting in the lower arm. They slid in pretty easy. This was by far the easiest part of the project.

Had a bolt that would not come out. I call this image, "attempting to gain and eviction notice from landlord" Can't be tight if it is a liquid.

I won...

Both arms in on the passenger side now.

Precision alighment. When I took it to the shop it was actually pretty spot on.

So this project has been done since before the thread started, I am just super slow at making these post. School can keep me a little busy and not wanting to use a computer at times.

The new suspension Rides wonderful and I have not had any issues with it. The pictures show the truck on 35's with stock 3rd gen rims. The truck is currently sitting on 37's on H2 times and rubs slightly on the arms at full lock. I think a 1/4-1/2" of more offset would eliminate this though.

I wish I could afford some progressive springs to soften up the front more but am debating if I want to build a air ride suspension like the Kelderman setups next. I think it would be really sweet, but I worry about the reliability of air bags vs springs. The ability to drop the truck a few inches to get into a parking garages around the city would be pretty helpful.

On other notes, I still have a lot more to update. Truck has had some big changes, and I started building the bumper I talked about in a earlier post.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

Few flex shots, last picture shows how I clear around the stock mounts.

I could cut them out... but if the truck ever gets totaled I could easily return it to stock and keep my expensive parts...

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I wish I could afford some progressive springs to soften up the front more but am debating if I want to build a air ride suspension like the Kelderman setups next. I think it would be really sweet, but I worry about the reliability of air bags vs springs. The ability to drop the truck a few inches to get into a parking garages around the city would be pretty helpful.
For what it's worth, I replaced the stock springs & 2 1/2" spacers on my old truck ('97 2500) with the Synergy coils, and it did help soften the ride in the front. Price wasn't too bad from what I recall, but that was also ~5 years ago.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
For what it's worth, I replaced the stock springs & 2 1/2" spacers on my old truck ('97 2500) with the Synergy coils, and it did help soften the ride in the front. Price wasn't too bad from what I recall, but that was also ~5 years ago.

Pete

That’s good to know. Thanks!

I have been looking at Carli springs as well. I just like the cool factor of the air bags.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Sure. I did the Fox 2.0 IFP shocks around the same time. I think I did the shocks first, I know I did the shocks and springs a few weeks apart since one of them was on back order or something. But they both helped, and were both reasonably priced. Had I kept that truck, my plan was to shackle flip the rear and get rid of the factory block.

As for Carli, I put one of their commuter kits on my 2015 Dodge about a year and a half ago, and have been very happy with it.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
So I left off this thread finishing up the suspension. I need to find my flex shots. Well, I moved in to fixing a few other things. For example my front case was leaking. That was a hell of a job.

I machined out this billet tappet cover.

Repainted the valve cover.

And some poser shots!

And some carnage......

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
NASA wants to know if you can make your pics just a little bigger, the guys on the space station can't quite make them out :flipoff2:

Duane

41 - 60 of 66 Posts