Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for the part number for a reamer for 1 ton tie rod ends. ive found threads making reference but nothing with where to get one with a part number.

i have gone to napa and they look at me confused without a part number.

thanks

DP

·
Registered
3,489 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I found some info on billavista steering tech page. Called some of the companies that were found in his page. They sent me the correct reamer. I think it was about $90.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Don't waste your time or money on the Snap-on reamer. It's just not up to the task. It's worn out and doesn't cut worth a shit anymore and I didn't even get one tie-rod end reamed.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
TORC said:
Don't waste your time or money on the Snap-on reamer. It's just not up to the task. It's worn out and doesn't cut worth a shit anymore and I didn't even get one tie-rod end reamed.
I used a Snop-on R121 reamer to do my steering and it worked great. I did try to use it with cutting oil and it took forever. I decided I would probably never use it again and ran it dry with little wear and much better results. Once I ran it dry it cut like a hot knife through butter on two knuckles, a pitman, and a TRE. It only cost me $40 off the Snap-on truck and it's showing little wear after the reaming I used it for.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Hmmmm..... I bought one and used it to ream out a pitman arm. Worked OK, but the square part of the shaft broke during use so I sent it back for another one. Reamed out another pitman arm and it trashed the cutting edges to the point that I just barely got the arm reamed. Sent that one back and got another replacement. Haven't even gotten all the way done with an ES2233L tie rod end and cutting edges are badly worn and pretty much shot to the point that it won't cut shit. All of these reamings were done by hand without cutting oil. In the end, it looks like I was the one who got reamed...... to the tune of about $40.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
DO NOT BUY THE SNAP-ON REAMER!, or any other with straight flutes.

I have the snap-on reamer, and it sucks. As mentioned, it only cuts ok when dry. I did one TRE and my pitman arm, and that was a lot of work!

I too got reamed for $40

check out the one's BC bronco's have. A friend bought the expensive one and it cuts like butter.

http://www.bcbroncos.com/shoptools1.html

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
thread hi jack.

I drilled my pitman arm to 5/8's when I was running heims. I am building a new steering using the 1 ton TRE's. Can I re-use my pitman or do I need a new one because 5/8's is too big?

SeanP

·
Registered
863 Posts
SeanP said:
thread hi jack.

I drilled my pitman arm to 5/8's when I was running heims. I am building a new steering using the 1 ton TRE's. Can I re-use my pitman or do I need a new one because 5/8's is too big?

SeanP
You should be ok. 5/8 is what I predrill holes to before reaming.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Jeepdude_Jay said:

You should be ok. 5/8 is what I predrill holes to before reaming.
cool, thanks. Back to your regularly schduled thread...
SeanP

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Yes you will be fine starting with a 5/8" hole. That is still smaller than the minor deminsion of the hole that needs to be reamed for the 1 ton TRE's. As for the Snap-on reamer, like I said, I had wonderful results with it. I used a 1/2" drill though, I couldn't imagine using it by hand. It's not a top of the line reamer I'm sure but it did the job or reaming my setup beautifully. I'm sure it wouldn't last if I were building these setups everyday but for a one-time use and maybe passing it on to your buddy the $40 price tag can't be beat.

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
I used the snap on reamer, 2 pitman arms and it worked perfect. I have not one complaint about it. :D

·
Premium Member
10,659 Posts
We use 7 deg reamers at work all the time and they are supposed to be run dry. Check with granger or mastercar(?)
use a med. speed. You can tell when it's right cause they cut like crazy.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok thanks for the info guys i talked to my snap on guy today and one is on the way.... just because its cheap and i will probably only need it to do 1 tre for the jeep now and 1 as a spare and fawk it from there. plus he said he would warrantee it if it fawks up. cool guy!

anyways 1 more question. im running an inverted T using the big blazer tie rod end with the stabalizer mount that you have to ream out for the drag link..... what size bit is everyone using to initially drill the hole before you ream? i dont wanna fubar a perfectly good tie rod end fawking around.

thanks

DP

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ouch ya got me!!!! i missed that i was scrolling though too fast once i hit the thread hijack part

thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts