Earl Dibbles Jr.
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the scenerio:
1979 Scout II
345 V-8
Dana 60's
38.5 Swampers

I have already tried to increase the flow and pressure by porting a brand new P/S pump and it did not do the job.

I have all my Hydro assist crap that I pulled of my Toyota.

My steering box mounts on the outside of the frame. Can anyone give me better pics of where to drill and tap? All of the pics I have seen are not very precise and hard to copy. Also let me know what ram you are using. I have a 1" and a 2" bore. I ran the 1" on the Toy and it worked great.

How exact do you have to be when choosing where to drill?

·
Registered
297 Posts
here is what it will look like when you are done

I have used this setup for several years and it works real good and it has been trouble free

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
I had www.rocklogic4x4.com tap my box. I like how they tapped it, kept the lines to the inside so they didn't run under frame.. I also used their ram and hoses, brackets, etc.. Very nice kit they sell...

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Urban Wheeler said:
I've heard that the top cover and end cover tend to crack when you are drilling. Did you have any problems doing yours?

tags changed to [url] tags. Same pics as above post.[/QUOTE]

nope I had no problems at all this works great..............no cracking,you have got to be careful I guess?..............but I haven't experienced any problems.I have done it several times to many different vehicles.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
harkinoff said:
I had www.rocklogic4x4.com tap my box. I like how they tapped it, kept the lines to the inside so they didn't run under frame.. I also used their ram and hoses, brackets, etc.. Very nice kit they sell...
Hark, if I remember right... you're not running an IH mill. I tapped on the outside of the box because the stock SII engine mount is right where your lines exit the box.

Some people (including some vendors here) like the method above where you tap the endcaps, but I personally think that is bullshit. I'll take my high pressure taps in the cast iron over the relatively thin cast aluminum. But that's my opinion.....

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
slydog72007 said:
nope I had no problems at all this works great..............no cracking,you have got to be careful I guess?..............but I haven't experienced any problems.I have done it several times to many different vehicles.
You will . There is not enough meat in the front cap.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Mechanos said:
Some people (including some vendors here) like the method above where you tap the endcaps, but I personally think that is bullshit. I'll take my high pressure taps in the cast iron over the relatively thin cast aluminum. But that's my opinion.....
Mine too! Scout61,Rubicrawler and I had to hike a few miles to rescue JoshC's rig after his D&C ported box failed due to a split front cap. :shaking:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Old Scout said:
Mine too! Scout61,Rubicrawler and I had to hike a few miles to rescue JoshC's rig after his D&C ported box failed due to a split front cap. :shaking:
there is enough meat if you tap the cap where the meat is big...........like close to the edge.............like I said I haven't had any problems in the 2 years I have run this set up,and I'm not saying it is the best but it is the easiest and the cheapest for the do-it-yourselfer.I wheel my Scout pretty hard and never had any trouble yet but that's not to say I won't.

I have about $210 dollars invested in my hydro assist system

2x8 hydraulic ram $58
hydraulic lines $60
hydraulic fittings $20
ram mounting brackets $50 for 2
and $14 dollars for the drill and tap bits

being able to steer with 1 finger in any situation..............PRICELESS!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
slydog72007 said:
there is enough meat if you tap the cap where the meat is big...........like close to the edge.............like I said I haven't had any problems in the 2 years I have run this set up,and I'm not saying it is the best but it is the easiest and the cheapest for the do-it-yourselfer.I wheel my Scout pretty hard and never had any trouble yet but that's not to say I won't.

2x8 hydraulic ram $58
hydraulic lines $60
hydraulic fittings $20

There isn't, thats why you need to tig weld a bung on the end cap for strengh. Cheapest and easyest=Broke down,having to hike for parts or wait for somebody to bring them to you and then having it happen again, pricless.

·
Registered
871 Posts
slydog72007 said:

2x8 hydraulic ram $58
hydraulic lines $60
hydraulic fittings $20

You sure didn't save much :rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts