Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Answered a post in General on tapping Ford PS boxes, and came up with over a dozen pictures when I searched, so thought they belonged in the Ford forum!

(as you know, there are a couple of different styles of Ford box, from different years and suspension styles and sizes)

Full instructions for 80-up box:

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10413&highlight=steering+box

Note that you'll be in the vein for a right turn, and the body for a left turn--on this box. EB and F150 boxes have sector shafts that turn in opposite directions--depending on what direction the Pitman is facing!!

Hydro assist tap 78 Ford Bronco box:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=546370&p=6377038

79 Ford:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=347092&p=3922711

Similar box?, different spot:

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
Nice pictorial. One of the best modifications I ever made. It was pretty easy to source the stuff on the cheap to, weld up some brackets, and then turning 44's with one finger became a reality :smokin:

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
And which one would be similar to the EB box as I am not anywhere close to the garage right now.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Yeah, some guy with the same username as you originally posted them!

(nice work!) :smokin:
I can say since I did the tap work on it. I have been wheeling it for over 3 years without any issues. :grinpimp:

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And which one would be similar to the EB box as I am not anywhere close to the garage right now.
EB boxes (I think) are almost exactly like F-150 boxes; they just have gears inside that turn in the opposite direction--as their pitman faces the opposite way an F-150 turns, so a left turn on the steering wheel still turns the pitman left.

You can tap it (if it's a power steering box, not just a bare gear box). Can't tap it until you get close to the garage--post up a pic, and we'll try to ID it!

Quick question,
Which one is similar to a 94 ranger box? I'd love to do that...
They're all similar. Post up a pic, and we can probably tell you where to drill.

Worst case, we don't know which side is left or which is right. If you keep your ram disconnected when you are first bleeding it, it's a simple matter to swap hoses on the ram to get it right. It's a 50% chance either way!

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Nice pics... Gonna do this in the next few weeks to a Ranger box. They lay out a bit differently than the EB or F250 box - more like the Saginaw.

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
I don't need hydro assist on a DD, but besides installing a Saginaw PS pump, will the Saginaw steering box swap right into a 1996 Bronco?

Looks I answered part of it, but Id like to see a pic mounted to the frame to show if new holes were drilled or not. So a Saginaw box from a 78-79 Bronco is supposed to be better than a steering box in a later model Bronco?

I think it looks obvious that some people confuse steering box with power steering pump.

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't need hydro assist on a DD, but besides installing a Saginaw PS pump, will the Saginaw steering box swap right into a 1996 Bronco?
Not really.

You can use any pump you want to, and any box you want to. It's not like you have to use a Saginaw pump (GM, Jeep, and others chose to) with a Saginaw box (like GM, Jeep, and IH did). I'm a Toy guy, but I've heard that Ford pumps are a weak spot...so replacing your Ford pump with a Sag pump could be a good upgrade. I dunno. :confused:

Saginaw boxes aren't all interchangeable--you'll likely have to drill/sleeve some new frame holes.

Looks I answered part of it, but Id like to see a pic mounted to the frame to show if new holes were drilled or not.
Got pics of your later Bronco?

So a Saginaw box from a 78-79 Bronco is supposed to be better than a steering box in a later model Bronco?
Not necessarily....do you need a 78-79 box because it'll fit better or something?

*the guts from 78-79 boxes and EB boxes are interchangeable--but reversed, and you can use it if you need to run the pitman arm the other direction. Say for example, you wanted to run your tierod behind the axle on reverse arms on a D-60 or something.

I think it looks obvious that some people confuse steering box with power steering pump.
Huh? Not in this thread that I've seen! :laughing:

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
Not really.

You can use any pump you want to, and any box you want to. It's not like you have to use a Saginaw pump (GM, Jeep, and others chose to) with a Saginaw box (like GM, Jeep, and IH did). I'm a Toy guy, but I've heard that Ford pumps are a weak spot...so replacing your Ford pump with a Sag pump could be a good upgrade. I dunno. :confused:

Saginaw boxes aren't all interchangeable--you'll likely have to drill/sleeve some new frame holes.

Got pics of your later Bronco?

Not necessarily....do you need a 78-79 box because it'll fit better or something?

*the guts from 78-79 boxes and EB boxes are interchangeable--but reversed, and you can use it if you need to run the pitman arm the other direction. Say for example, you wanted to run your tierod behind the axle on reverse arms on a D-60 or something.

Huh? Not in this thread that I've seen! :laughing:
Not this thread I meant, but in other places across the internet.

I already plan to replace the PS pump with a Saginaw, but not sure what I will replace the steering box with, as it has some play and it should be replaced down the road.

Heres a pic with weak flex. A SAS will be down the road.

·
Registered
818 Posts
See you v8 guys can upgrade to a saginaw pump, but as far as I know they don't make brackets for us 4.0L V6 guys... or am I wrong?

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
Got Welder?
Not yet.

However I may go the Cage route, its spendy through.
I know you welded up stock radius arms with extensions using 78-79 arms.

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Actually, it was a response to King7765 looking for a bracket for a Saginaw pump to a 4.0L V6.

I did weld/extend the stock radius arms to run a 79 D44 under a 95 F150. I didn't beef the shit out of them or run joints in the ends--my FIL still hasn't put anything bigger than 31's on it. This project was to get a wrecked rig running, and we got the TTB out and a junkyard HPD44 in for under $200!

If it were for my own rig (and bigger tires), I'd do at least 2.0" x .188 wall tubing.

Know anyone in Bemidji whose wife is from Montana? One of my wife's high school friends married a guy from Bemidji.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts