Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about buying a 94 Chevy K1500 4x4 with auto trans and the smaller 5.0L V-8 from my dad sometime in the near future. Its a pretty solid truck, my only complaint is that it feels pretty gutless when you step er down. I don't know if its wearing out (165K) or if the Throttle Body 305 is just pretty gutless from the factory? Should I expect much more life from it after 165K? My lifted jeep with a dirty old '87 4.0L I6 Multi-Port EFI almost felt like it had a lot more pep than the Chev before I lifted it and added bigger tires, ect and my old '81 3/4T Chev with the carbed 350 seemed like it had a lot more kick... :confused: I think the non-vortec 5.0L is rated at like 170some horses from the factory? Do they respond well to some bolt on mods like chip/intake/exhaust/ect?? I want to lift and install larger tires on my next truck, should I hold out for something with more power like a 350? Don't want to swap engines for this rig...

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thx :cool2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
xjfish said:
I've been thinking about buying a 94 Chevy K1500 4x4 with auto trans and the smaller 5.0L V-8 from my dad sometime in the near future. Its a pretty solid truck, my only complaint is that it feels pretty gutless when you step er down. I don't know if its wearing out (165K) or if the Throttle Body 305 is just pretty gutless from the factory? Should I expect much more life from it after 165K? My lifted jeep with a dirty old '87 4.0L I6 Multi-Port EFI almost felt like it had a lot more pep than the Chev before I lifted it and added bigger tires, ect and my old '81 3/4T Chev with the carbed 350 seemed like it had a lot more kick... :confused: I think the non-vortec 5.0L is rated at like 170some horses from the factory? Do they respond well to some bolt on mods like chip/intake/exhaust/ect?? I want to lift and install larger tires on my next truck, should I hold out for something with more power like a 350? Don't want to swap engines for this rig...

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thx :cool2:
The 305 TBi is pretty guttless,175 FWHP. It not that it does have another 50k to 100k miles in it just no power when it was new. I know you don't want to here this but the best bet is to swap in a mild 350 with all the mods you mention for getting for the 305. Of course you can always hold out for one that had a 350 and get a little more grunt.

Thats just my .02 cents worth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,447 Posts
Unless you absolutely need more power, run that 305 into the ground.

Mods like adjustable fuel pressure regulator, intake, exhaust, etc. will switch over to a 350 no problem. There are only to things to change when you put in a 350, the prom and the injectors. Some prom's are exactly the same part number for either engine.

So mod the 305, run her till she blows, and replace it later to get the better torque and hp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
622 Posts
I think that the 305 is a lot better than people think, they can take quite a good beating (I've seen stock 305's turn 7000 RPMs more than once) and they are a dime a dozen to replace if youi blow one up. I've got one in my s10. Given the truck it's super heavy, but still has fullsize diffs and 36" tires. I've personally found that the 305 is more than enough power for what I need. Again it is carb'd, and only has simple bolt-ons (carb, intake, fuel system, water pump, ignition, headers, no emissions), but it makes more than enough power for what I need.
I've always toyed with the idea of trying to build a 305 with a little power (most likly will do so what I freshen my 305 this winter), I remember reading somewhere that it can be done (and works quite well), but most people would just rather get a 350.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Id say hold out for a 350 or if its a good deal just wait till it blows and put a 350 in it. Anyway I have a 305 in a ex cab, 4x4 and its a vortec 98 with I think 235hp and it still feels a little on the weak side. Its also a 5-Speed so that helps some.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,942 Posts
I ran a 305 TBI(aka 5.0L) in my cruiser with 4.11 gears and 35s... I had NO problem with it moving like a raped ape even when running a SM465 on the street. That was with NO hop ups. The engine was pulled from an 88 Camaro(well, 89 with 88 ECU) so there may be some slight difference between it and a truck engine.

And when I wasn't running 70mph, I was able to squeeze out 14mpg :eek:

I would 100% run another if I got a deal on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,710 Posts
A 305 is a not a bad motor but it's not that great either..It might be ok for the fellow with the S-10 or somebody with a lighter truck but in my opinion GM should have never put that motor in a full size Chevy.. I wouldn't buy a truck if it had a 305 in it and I sure the hell wouldn't spend any money trying to squeeze a few more H.P. out of one..

Keep in mind when you talk about mods in a 305 your back to polishing a turd.. You said it was your Dad's truck so I'm guessing you can get a deal on it.. So I say if you like the truck get it and run it like it is until you can get a 350,355,383,or a 400 to put in it.. If you don't want to swap motors and want to run a lft and bigger tires then you need to find another truck..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts
ah another 305 post. Im sure mudslinger will write back very soon disagreeing with me but if you dont have the cash or can live with the power then keep it in the truck. It will respond to hop ups and those will be cheaper then bolting in a new engine. Also look at other areas if a you cant drop a couple of grand into another engine, i.e. gears, shift kit, etc. or go for broke and run a 150 shot to it :D
If you are going the 350 route and what to keep it easily inspected (street legal) find a 97 or newer 350 vortec motor. A carb would be nice but that usually doesnt fly in a emission truck of that vintage.
Just remember that a 305 isnt bad but it aint great so just make what you can with what you got.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,710 Posts
weaselzz said:
ah another 305 post. Im sure mudslinger will write back very soon disagreeing with me but if you dont have the cash or can live with the power then keep it in the truck. It will respond to hop ups and those will be cheaper then bolting in a new engine. Also look at other areas if a you cant drop a couple of grand into another engine, i.e. gears, shift kit, etc. or go for broke and run a 150 shot to it :D
If you are going the 350 route and what to keep it easily inspected (street legal) find a 97 or newer 350 vortec motor. A carb would be nice but that usually doesnt fly in a emission truck of that vintage.
Just remember that a 305 isnt bad but it aint great so just make what you can with what you got.
Here I am :flipoff2:

But most of what you said made sense this time so no argument from me :laughing:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,399 Posts
mudslinger99 said:
I sure the hell wouldn't spend any money trying to squeeze a few more H.P. out of one..

Keep in mind when you talk about mods in a 305 your back to polishing a turd.. You said it was your Dad's truck so I'm guessing you can get a deal on it.. So I say if you like the truck get it and run it like it is until you can get a 350,355,383,or a 400 to put in it.. If you don't want to swap motors and want to run a lft and bigger tires then you need to find another truck..

X2

As far as engine speed goes, I dunno, never tried, but I'd be awful nervous spinning a stock 305 (or even a 350 for that matter) 7 grand. Can anyone say valve float? With decent valve springs, etc..., maybe..., but bone stock? I'd be puckerin'. That's gettin' into solid lifter territory.

As has aready been said, I'd run it into the ground and replace it with something better when it goes.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top