Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990+ tbi 350 in my jeep.... seemed to run fine... did a ton of work to it and then as soon as I got it done it was falling flat on it's face around 3500 rpms. Ran GREAT down low though.

Took it up to the con this weekend... didn't have any noticable issues on the way in... however on the way out it would fall on it's face around 2500... then 2200, then 2k etc. then it would die out anything over 1k rpms. If I stopped and let it cool for 10 mins then I could drive ok for a while. this morning it is around 3k again giving me crap.. sometimes it'll rev clean to 5000 rpms

I was thinking fuel pump... it's an ford frame mount pump... a few years old but only 5k miles on it.

Figured I'd ask before I spend some money. thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
High pressure pump? I assume no ses lamp on?

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the check engine light has been on. I don't know if it came on more recently... or it has always been on LOL... just built the jeep but the motor has been in it for 5 years. not sure if that's the same as an ses light. the pump is for an older efi ford and the jeep ran great for a long time. just has the symptoms of a dying pump.... figured yall would know if there's anything else to check before replacing. thank!

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
come onnnnnnnnnn don't make me solve my own problem lol :D I'm buying a fuel pump at lunch time if yall don't fix it for me :D

·
Web Wheeler For Hire
1,888 Posts
Check the fuel pressure before you buy a pump. Should have a fuel filter before the pump and it could be clogged. Check the error codes to see what's set. After that you may know where to spend money...

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Yeah, check your pressure at the fuel rails and work your way back. you havnt really said how much you built this thing up, but it's possible maybe all it needs is you to bump the pressure up more (you'd do that with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator btw, not a stronger pump) If it isnt a fuel problem, you'll probably want to look at your ignition.

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nice! check it out.

filter = gross.

full of crap... now the filter was doing it's job ok I guess since the gas was mostly clean on the other side. However when I let the rig cool down I could get it to run ok after a bit... which leads me to believe the pump might be damaged?

what do you think? the pump is P# e8094 16psi max... i'm going to call napa and see if that's something they have. No clue where I got it.

also should I get a bigger filter? And what would you say all that crap is in there? the tank was new 5 years back and it's metal.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
nice! check it out.

what do you think? the pump is P# e8094 16psi max... i'm going to call napa and see if that's something they have. No clue where I got it.

also should I get a bigger filter? And what would you say all that crap is in there? the tank was new 5 years back and it's metal.
Well...what pressure are you getting at the fuel rails...? That'd be the only way to tell if maybe the fuel pump is bad, or you need to tinker around with the regulator. Otherwise you're just throwing parts at it...

·
Registered
893 Posts
Damn, I had the same problem when I first bought the blazer then I changed the fuel filter and whalaa!! lots more power and no more falling on its face. same tbi set-up.

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn, I had the same problem when I first bought the blazer then I changed the fuel filter and whalaa!! lots more power and no more falling on its face. same tbi set-up.
hahah same here... fixed it by default. they didn't have the pump in stock.. so i got the filter and put it on... runs good to 4k now = spare pump. the new one will be in tomorrow... hopefully it'll rip even harder!

when the funk is the club run! I'm ready now :D

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so is the 16psi pump what I want? I found another one for 100. I'll keep the current as a spare. not sure if I should upgrade though.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I run the masters E2182 or the E2000 both are the same pump with different fittings on them.
They look just like yours but are capable of up to 95psi.
Now don't jump to conclusions and think that it will over pressurize the system...that's why you have a regulator in the TBI after the injectors.
It will bypass any excess pressure above the preset limit to maintain it constant.

I set my regulator for about 13psi...yes the stock one is adjustable.

I also run the fram G3 filter before the pump...it's clear so you know when it's dirty.
5 years and lots of jackstand time is plenty to develop rust if you don't keep the tank full.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Glad you found your filter was clogged.

Some things to think about on the cause of your clog:

Dunno If I would worry too much about your metal tank, but how long do you let the gas sit in the tank?
Do you have a fume recovery on your filler neck? Does it have a hole in it?
Where and how often do you get gas?
Ever fill out of an old jerry can?

FYI:

A stock Chevy TBI runs between 8-12psi of fuel pressure. Having a pump that supplies more than that, isn't necessary. I agree with running a regulator and a gauge though, and concur with setting it around 12-13psi.

·
Registered
893 Posts
hahah same here... fixed it by default. they didn't have the pump in stock.. so i got the filter and put it on... runs good to 4k now = spare pump. the new one will be in tomorrow... hopefully it'll rip even harder!

when the funk is the club run! I'm ready now :D
That is going to be decided at the "mandatory" october meeting on the 3rd. If you want to go with hengl and I plus a couple scraglers, we are going to Dusy on the 28th-30th this month.:smokin:

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok... so I figured there was a bunch of crap in the tank... not so much.

I put a new pump and filter on... took less than 2 mins for it to run crappy... bunch of crap in the filter again.

I looked at the lines and they were breaking down really bad. replaced the small sections w/ new efi hose and it ran mint all weekend and no crap in the filter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts