Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about replacing my cam on my non roller cam TBI motor and I was thinking about using a summit brand sum-k1102 cam with 204* intake and 214* exhuast at .050" and .420 intake and .442 exhaust total lift with 112* lobe seperation. the motor i have wasnt originally a TBI motor either and the cam in it isnt even stock. Does this cam sound like id have descent low end still? and are Summit cams alright?

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
Whats the advertised duration at .006", Summit cams are just a reboxed cam, not sure who makes them... personally I would look at www.compcams.com go to the catalog and find there computer friendly cams this way you know the ECM will be able to adjust!

Remember short duration/high lift builds low end torque!

·
Registered
543 Posts
The specs listed look like they'll be fine with TBI. It's even close to some of the mild Crane Compucams. I've had good success with the Crane HMV260 as well in 350 and 383 TBI applications.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a quick and easy way to see if your TBI motor has the roller cam without having to take the motor apart?

thanks,
charles

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I talked to comp cams and the tech guy suggested a 12-256-4 that has 212* intake 218* exhaust at .050 and a total lift of 449 intake and 456 exhaust. He said it would run fine with the computer and even better if i reprogramed the chip. I thought that that was a little to much for low end torque though?? what do you guys think.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
joefear7 said:
I talked to comp cams and the tech guy suggested a 12-256-4 that has 212* intake 218* exhaust at .050 and a total lift of 449 intake and 456 exhaust. He said it would run fine with the computer and even better if i reprogramed the chip. I thought that that was a little to much for low end torque though?? what do you guys think.
Go to Kazaa and download Desktop Dyno 2000 for free. It's a great engine building tool. Having the ability to plug in hundreds of cams and advance them and retard them is invaluable in building an engine.

PM me if you want it via ICQ

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
fj40charles said:
Does anyone know if there is a quick and easy way to see if your TBI motor has the roller cam without having to take the motor apart?

thanks,
charles
if your motor was originally fuel injected it will have a roller cam.. chevy started roller cams with tbi in '87 i think..

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Old Scout said:

Go to Kazaa and download Desktop Dyno 2000 for free. It's a great engine building tool. Having the ability to plug in hundreds of cams and advance them and retard them is invaluable in building an engine.

ill have to check that out but in the mean time... any one run a simular cam? or you guys think its not mild enough for low end power??

·
Registered
682 Posts
Bigger Valves said:

if your motor was originally fuel injected it will have a roller cam.. chevy started roller cams with tbi in '87 i think..
OH?

I have two Suburbans, a '89 and a '90. and they both have flat tappets.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
....and I have a 89 350 TBI from a G20 van.

No rollers.

Seriously, if you don't know what you are saying then just STFU. I do it all the time.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Bigger Valves said:

Not true... most early TBI motors had normal flat tappet cams.

Also if you want to know for sure if your motor has a roller cam, pull a valve cover and peer into the lifter valley through one of the many casting holes with a flashlight... If there are "8" shaped links between lifters it is a roller cam motor. You might not be able to see this on all TBI motors, but I can see this on my TPI motor.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Charly said:
Seriously, if you don't know what you are saying then just STFU. I do it all the time.
An old rule on POR that has been long since forgotten. :(

·
Registered
414 Posts
You can get a Comp-cams Xtreme Energy in flat-tappet that will work w/ the stock computer. Don't know the specs right off, but should be able to find it in a catalog.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'm running 206/214 @ .050 with .432/.453 lift. I like it...has lots of torque off idle. Doesn't build much power up top...still can't beat my buddies lt1.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Charly said:
....and I have a 89 350 TBI from a G20 van.

No rollers.

doh, my bad.. i'm always thinking 4.3 nowadays and no the fuel injection, roller cam doesn't hold true for 350's.. he didn't even state 350 so i automatically think 4.3.. thanks for pointing that out like a true gentleman.. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Summit cams are made by Crane.
I thought that only the car motors had rollers, not the pickups or vans. Hell I dont know. I am running (and I think Charley too) a Comp Cam 12-388-4. 206/212, .425/.440 @.050, with 112* LSA. Works good for the TBI, still has plenty of low end. I can barely hear the cam at idle. Just make sure that you run a cam with a wide LSA with the TBI.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Yep, I am running that same Comp cam (on Keith's recommendation) works great. I have no complaints. And that's with a stock prom chip.

But like I've said before, I don't think I'd be disappointed with a stock cam either.

·
Registered
509 Posts
i have the exact cam (204-214 @.05 ) in my v6 and i love the cam for the lowend power it has. Works good for crawling. It has enough power to pull my Q78 with 4.10 gears with no problem up step grades. It is a good cam without the loss of lowend and still work well with the tbi. It has the same specs as the eldabroc (sp) performer power cams

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Old Scout said:

pm me if you want comp cam specs or head specs. i took about a month of nights creating a file database for the most comon sbc, bbc, sbf etc cams aftemarket heads etc..

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
man decisions, decisions. i dont know weather to go with the summit cam i first listed or the comp cam charely and Keith are running. i also heard that there was a comp cam like the 12-388-4 that had the same duration but alittle more lift. wouldnt that give me even more torque because the duration and the Lobe seperation are still the same as the 12-388-4

1 - 20 of 20 Posts