Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's the problem im having... just got the jeep legal to drive on road.. been driving it for months on my property max speed on prop was 20mph. No problems
so i drove threw town at 30mph np.. cross over bridge at 40mph got into turning lane died! started right back up and went to my dr appt... came out drove home got to my street came to stop sign died again.. .started right back started going got to my drive way and did it again..... well called my brother over and he said its over loading on fuel.... after doing some checking on the motor i found some stuff was missing/not hooked up .my question to you guys is... Is there a way to hook this up with out the missing wire/hoses so it not over loading the fuel here is some pic's of missing/hoses.. Or am i getting a new harness ?
egr

no idea

no idea 3

plug vacuum lines 4

not sure what this is either

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Man, you have vacuum leaks all over the place. Im stunned that its even running at all at the moment. Okay.. I have a few questions before we can dig into your problem. Whats the engine? What year was the efi pulled from? Are they from the same engine/truck/car? TBI systems are simple to work with. There is a bunch of fat that cen be trimmed from the harness and system in general. We just need to know where to start here. Post up more pictures of the TBI unit and the wiring around it. No worries, man. We can get your rig up and kicking again. We just need more details about it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
91 350 5.7 is what the guy told me..

as you can see this connect to the thing in background looks broke but not sure?

and as you can see here i think the oxgen censor is alittle to far back? there is alittle leak in front at the clamp but not much.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Lots of pictures lol. Can you number them? Would make it easier for others to tell you whats what.
Seems staight forward tho

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Pic #14 from the top.....I think I see it...a fuel return....do you have one?
It looks to me like it has one, the silver line to the left of the fuel line, it has a hose clamp going into a rubber line. I'm guessing it's all the little vacuum lines that aren't properly plugged off. Using a bolt is by no means a plug. I also see some vac lines that aren't pushed all the way on to the tb. A whole bunch of small leaks will equal one huge leak. Good luck figuring that mess out, without just taking everything off and starting fresh anyway.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Ffffuuck. :eek: Okay okay... First, your cummy running as from vacuum leaks. Like, all over the fuckin place. The steel tube thats cut is for the EGR system. Just unscrew it, and replace with a bolt of the same thread with some high temp thread sealer. Next, go to your local parts store and pick up some rubber plugs for vacuum lines.

At the throttle body, Cap off J, A and S. These are no longer needed without the emissions equipment. The big line on the back of the spacer ring that is routed to a pcv valve on the passenger side. Ditch it, cap the bung on the spacer ring. That used to go the air filter. So im at a loss as to why its routed to a pcv valve. Whatever... Pick up a valve cover breather and put that in the hole where the passenger pcv valve was. Do this, and you will be up and running. Your wiring on the other hand... Replace it. Period. There are a good deal of TBI stand alone wiring kits out there for like $150 to $250. I HIGHLY recommend getting one and replacing that fire hazard ASAP.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Holy shit...that's a wiring vac line nightmare!! Looks like my wiring.... :)

02 sensor a 2 or 3 wire?
o2 censor on the header is 1 wire

Yes there is a fuel return line ... facing the engine its on the left from the front of the motor

sterlingfire I think your correct there is Plug missing in the harness from the po.. so ive taken a ad out for a 88 to 91 truck from the reading ive done as long as the ecm has the last 4 digits 7747... if im wrong someone plz correct me!!

Smc Im clueless when it comes to knowing what i need... Ive stated in many of post I am by no means a Mechanic .. i can replace a part i can pull a motor but knowing what i need is gone lol .... would u happen to know of a link or what i need to search for?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok thx guys Now im even more concern :confused: with my setup being a 350th tranny do i need the vss thing these guys was talking about? i seen they said with it being manual no and auto yes...... will be contacting the wire company and see what they say with my setup if they need to do another kind of wiring.. seen they have the 700r4 where im running the th350 thx again for all the help

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ffffuuck. :eek: Okay okay... First, your cummy running as from vacuum leaks. Like, all over the fuckin place. The steel tube thats cut is for the EGR system. Just unscrew it, and replace with a bolt of the same thread with some high temp thread sealer. Next, go to your local parts store and pick up some rubber plugs for vacuum lines.

At the throttle body, Cap off J, A and S. These are no longer needed without the emissions equipment. The big line on the back of the spacer ring that is routed to a pcv valve on the passenger side. Ditch it, cap the bung on the spacer ring. That used to go the air filter. So im at a loss as to why its routed to a pcv valve. Whatever... Pick up a valve cover breather and put that in the hole where the passenger pcv valve was. Do this, and you will be up and running. Your wiring on the other hand... Replace it. Period. There are a good deal of TBI stand alone wiring kits out there for like $150 to $250. I HIGHLY recommend getting one and replacing that fire hazard ASAP.
Excellent post. Informative, and to the point.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
well blocking off all the lines you told me to!! dam that did the trick!!! got it up to 70 mph let of the gas and it didn't die!!!! drove threw town didn't die. so decided to go to big lake small 14 mil drive well get 3 miles from home i see temp rising up 230 i pull over let it cool down check to make sure i have fluid *CHECK * had fluid so that's fine. guessing the electric fan cant handle prolong runs!! so decided to go home.. got mile down the road temp back up to 230 and i see be-hide me blue some Im like wtf! @##@#@### ... lifted hood smoke not coming from there then i can smell it ! tranny fluid Im like omfg! ,call for a tow get it home looking at it bolts a little lose on tranny pan! not to make the gasket leak loose but just a little.. then i notice the tranny is wet above it too. the fluid was coming out the tranny breather hose... its smell burnt i pull the jeep off the trailer so i know tranny fine other then needs a fluid change... but would make it blow out the breather hose like that?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
well blocking off all the lines you told me to!! dam that did the trick!!! then i notice the tranny is wet above it too. the fluid was coming out the tranny breather hose... its smell burnt i pull the jeep off the trailer so i know tranny fine other then needs a fluid change... but would make it blow out the breather hose like that?
Cool. Glad your up and running :smokin: Its odd that your rig is overheating so quickly. Its most likely not the electric fan. Try getting a colder thermostat. Like a 180 degree one and pop that in. Get some fresh coolant in there and only use DISTILLED bottled water to fill the radiator. Tap water has a bunch of minerals in it that clog all the coolant passages.
There is a good chance that this will solve your over heating issue.

The Transmission. You should not be over heating. Period. That leads me to believe that either you were low on fluid, or the trans cooler was clogged and or not existent. Drain the transmission and drop the pan. Run your finger along the inside of the pan. If there is a thick layer of black greasy soot kinda stuff, then you need a new transmission or a rebuild. Thats clutch material. A little is fine. But allot is bad news. Unhook the transmission cooler lines from the trans and use an air compressor *Yer lungs will work as well :) * and blow through one side. If you apply pressure and no fluid or very little fluid is coming out the other end, then your transmission cooler is clogged. Replace it.
Dont bother with a store bought gasket on the pan. Clean and degrease the pan *a can of carburetor cleaner works great for this* and apply some Black RTV gasket. *silicone* A decent bead of the stuff all the way around. Spread it with your finger and wait for it to get tacky. About 5 minutes. This starts the curing process. Otherwise, the stuff never hardens. Then bolt up your pan. Torque the bolts in a star pattern. Left front, Right back, Right front, Left back, center left, center right and so on. Even torque is the key to not warping the pan and getting a leak.
Pick up 5 quarts of good, high quality trans fluid. Dont get the cheap crap. You want this trans to work for you for along time, give it good fluids. Put 4 quarts of fluid in there. Then fire up the jeep. Shift through all the gears and let them engage. Then shut it down and let it sit for afew minutes. This lets all the air bubbles settle. Fire it up, put it in park and check your fluid level while the rig is running. Good chance you will need that extra quart in there for the trans cooler.
Once the level is good, take it for a spin and report back. :grinpimp:

You don Not need the VSS sensor. Thats only for 4l60e and 4l80e transmissions. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
will do on that.. i had the pan draining yesterday. fluid was dark and burnt smelling but i could start the truck and pull it off the trailer and part it in my garage..buddy of mine says the Po must of put the wrong dipstick in it and filled it up to much maby? .this dosnt have a trans cooler i order one and should be here in mail today got one for gvw 12000... It did have the stock radiator cooler for the trans ill check that too..

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Ahh. Thats your issue right there. If your radiator is overheating, then that makes your transmission overheat as well. Always run a dedicated transmission cooler other than the one thats in the radiator.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts