Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I was going to do a search for this since I know it has probably been answered already...But the search is dissabled..

I want to do a TBI swap on my truck.
I got a 388 stroker and have an oportunity to score a complete set up from a running 1988 big block dually.
there are a few differences that I noticed such as the distributor is different (non HEI) and it has an EGR. If I strip out the loom for this swap, does anyone know what I have to remove or add to my truck to make it work?
or does someone have a link to a write up on what to do or where to go for info??
Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Try:
www.customefis.com Be careful about buying from this guy, but read.
www.chevythunder.com Mainly TPI, but some TBI and both are very similar.

You will need a custom chip, but starting with the 454 unit is a great step up. You might try Affordable fuel injection for pieces and parts, or www.tbichips.com

Keep all the sensors you can. If your heads are capable of EGR? I suggest you run it. It will operate better, and get better mileage. Also, you must run VSS (vehicle speed sensor). Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't have a rig that runs right.
Keep reading....

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
WOW,
that's alot of reading...
I figured that by using a big block system I would have the right size injectors to start with for feeding my engine.
I printed it all up so I have copies of it.
Also I have dual exauhst with no Cat's is this a problem with an O2 sensor? or am I going to need 2 of them?
If I get a wiring harness from another truck that is a couple of years older and use it for the 88 hardware that I have will that work? or are they year specific?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I would just buy a harness from painless. If you choose to use a junkyard harness. You can get the schematic off the ChevyThunder site. I would think it wouldn't matter what harness or ecm you used, but I would talk to someone with more TBI experience than myself.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
odgreen said:
I have diagrams on my site, http://www.efitune.com/manuals

Make sure you get the drac module, some are little grey/white boxes, some are different. Also get the aldl connecter/wiring for the ecm.
Curious why you mention a DRAC?

Being an 88 donor I would think it should be a 1227747 or possibly the 8747.

Using a VSS for street driving is simple with the JTR VSS.

If it's off road only I don't see the VSS even coming into play.

If it's the 7747 then all tuning/monitoring software is avail free on the web.
Helps cut the cost of the conversion.

Hardware from Moates will run about $100 to burn your own chips.

Some of the best tuning references I have read are in the DIY-PROM forum on the thirdgen site!!

I hesitate to post it but most of my installation information is listed HERE. Start at the top in the FAQ!!!

I don't discuss specific tuning (and in your case with the 383 and cam...you will need it!) and most is for non GM conversion to GM TBI.
But the information applies.

HTH

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh boy, this is getting involved.. my head is starting to hurt....LOL
Thanks for the link Bill great reading and info that I can use..

The cam I am running does not have a ton of lift on the intake side...
it does have more lift and duration on the exhaust so I get more torque at lower rpm's.
I do have a question about a distributor..... Right now I have HEI and like it.(less wiring to worry about)
Is there an HEI for the set up I am doing? or do I just get one with the seperate coil? like the truck I am getting the stuff from??
I will be driving it on the steet so I will get a vss unit for it.
Again guys thanks for the wealth of information.. I am enjoying learning something new and using it to make my hobby that much more enjoyable...

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think the 454 will be too big for your setup and you'll end up running too rich overall, the larger throttle body will be a plus tho. HEI is generally better but a non HEI from a camero/firebird has alot better aftermarket coil selection and alot of corvette guys actually switch over because of that. You will need to burn a chip regardless or it will never run correctly, good swap to do just pay attention and follow the diagrams,etc.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
the reason I was looking at the bigger set up is I have a stroker.
The cam is not so big that it lopes much but it has considerable power.
compression is about 9.7 to 1 with flat top pistons and everything is balanced ported and polished.
I have to run the big Q-jet on it to feed it, the stock 400 carb I had would not run right.
I am going to run the distributor you mentioned, (non hei) I got to thinking about space and stuff, and I think I would like a little smaller unit back there, plus tune-ups would be easier.
I plan on getting a tbi intake, got an aluminium one lined up with the 2" bore all ready to go for free... whoo hoo..
I want to do this right, no half assed.. so I want all the sensors and such working right so it will run at it's best and perform it's best.
I am getting everything in order and printing alot of diagrams so I will be ready to do it right the first time..

What info do I need to supply someone to burn a chip for me?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is this the chip burner that I will need it I want to do it myself?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Go here www.smokeemup.net. Talk to Josh Salley. He has a built 383 in his 4WD suburban, and he is running the large throttle body, cam, and heads along with a carb intake. He built the motor and did the tuning himself. He would be a great guy to talk to.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The requirement for vss Depends on what year the doner stuff is atleast in big blocks... My 89 C3500 and my 90 V3500 didn't have it new as both run a speedo cable.

·
Registered
254 Posts
That burner looks like it would work (if moates uses it or sells it then it's correct), if it has a speedo cable then the VSS part is at the back of the speedo most likely. Plenty have run the 747 ecm without vss but If you can't seem to calm your erratic idle that's the reason why. I havn't done one of these in a couple years. 454 injectors can dump alot of fuel :)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I use the 454 tbi for the extra CFM then can I change the injectors in it from the smaller 350 tbi unit so it does'nt dump so much fuel?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Home Built said:
If I use the 454 tbi for the extra CFM then can I change the injectors in it from the smaller 350 tbi unit so it does'nt dump so much fuel?
Yes, but still using the stock memcal from a 454 would then make it run really lean :) Personally I would start with 350 injectors and a 350 memcal (chip), wiring, ecm, etc should all be the same but nothing will be hurt to try the 454 inj/memcal just don't run it if its really rich for long. Will run great once tuned in just at first don't expect much till you figure out what it really needs.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok I think I am getting lost here..

Sorry.. What's a memcal?
If I am reading you right it would be easier to start with the 350 stuff and go up from there rather then the other way around??

·
Web Wheeler For Hire
1,888 Posts
Or you could just buy a harness and chip?
http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/tbi-wiring-harness.htm

Depending on cam specs we would use the 454 TBI unit on this size motor. VSS is not needed for a TBI system.

The small cap external coil distributor in the 454 would be the way to go. It is controlled by the ECM for spark curve.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK sold, that is the way I will go.. I thought it was the right choice to begin with..
Thanks..
I am going to use the small cap distributor too....
Thanks everyone for your info..
I can't wait to get started...
It'll be nice to see the difference this year on the Con with the new set up..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts