Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done or gone through this: a tracker TBI 8 valve swap into my sammy with TBI computer and harness. Install is complete, new ECM and all, when I start it it runs rough and dies after 2 seconds. I know I have to adjust ignition timing because I swapped the distributor, too. But if it fires up it should keep running. Is this a low fuel pressure thing? I've got 2 fuel pumps, the first is low pressure and right near the fuel cell and pull fuel out for the high pressure pump. I'm pretty certain all wires are correct, the ECM and all it's wires and connectors are all stock. everythings hooked to power and ground like it should. only 4 wires not connected, pwr strg switch, A/C wire, check engine light, and VSS. when I did this install 5 years ago I hooked it up exactly the same and it worked. I'm thinking fuel pressure, would low pressure cause it to run for 2 seconds and die? James.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds like a low fuel pressure. Its letting enough pressure build up before you start the engine then once it starts the fuel pump cant keep up with the engine. A friend of mine had same problem with a van he was working on.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Try taking out the low pressure pump. Or wiring the high pressure pump direct to see if the computer isnt sending signal to keep the pump on after its running.

Paul

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, I guess I'll have to have the fuel pressure checked then, if it can do that. both pumps are wired to the stock sammy fuse box on switched fuses. so it's not the ECM telling it to shut off. But in order to adapt a small fuel line to fit the universal high pressue pump, it was necessary to go to a rather large diameter hose, like 3/4"I.D. or something. it's about 6-8" long and clear so I can see a bit of air up in it. You know, it would just figure that I'd have to machine a custom adapter just for a stinking fuel line. I was kinda suspecting maybe it was having trouble priming. If you check the thread-"home brew link setup" you'll see a picture of my jeep down there with the fuel cell tied in back. the first pump is next to the bottom of the cell and has to suck the juice from down at the bottom all the way up out the top. I remember reading once with a universal type pump that it couldn't be mounted in such a way as to make it pull the fuel up too high. I wonder if I've gone over that. jd

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No adjustable fuel pressure regulator either. Just stock sidekick. Oh, well, at least I did all the other work on it myself. Spending a bit on a proffessional has it's rewards sometimes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts