Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have any info on putting the tbi on to a 304 engine? I'm also looking for info on swapping the distributor for the hei.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
If money is not much of a problem I would suggest the Howell kit. Uses GM parts so it is easy to get replacements anywhere in the country. I pewrsonally use the Holley kit and have not had any problems with it and have had it for about 7 years. I am crossing my fingers though because the replacement parts have to come from Holley!! big $$ for everything:mad: As far as the dist. what are you using now, the points? If so I was running points and switched to an MSD 6AL and Blaster coil and wired it to an AMC hei. The better way I think is the GM style one wire hook up. This is also a bit expensive but I am going to try it. I hear they are more reliable. Hope some of this helps. :D

·
Registered
921 Posts
do you have a part #? and is this the one for a 2 barrel to tbi adapter? I've only found one made by holley and they want 80 bones for it (summit and jegs pt # 510-17-47)

·
Registered
415 Posts
I got my TBI setup from John at http://www.customefis.com. I got my HEI from Glenn at http://www.driveajeep.com (Cape Conversions). They don't list the v-8 HEI on their site but they do have them. They sell them exclusively thru Hoak's 4WD in PA.

I had a somewhat lengthy post on this a while back which you can read here:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51190

John and Glenn both offer quality products and are a pleasure to deal with. I recommend both of them.

I switched to a Delco alternator at the same time as well. The combination of the HEI and the internally regulated alternator really cleaned up the engine bay.

And ditch the 304 while you're at it. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Thanks ER. I had the EFI site bookmarked on another 'puter no longer connected to the net.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The Flem said:
do you have a part #? and is this the one for a 2 barrel to tbi adapter? I've only found one made by holley and they want 80 bones for it (summit and jegs pt # 510-17-47)
it is a holley TBI to spreadbore 4 barrel carb intake. They normally go for $50+ but when they said $12 I couldn't say no. The only bad thing is that its thick. 1" I think and it has the larger 2" bore insted of the stock 350/305's 1-11/16"

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys I'm trying to go the low buck route for my buddie. I'm trying to go with mostly salvaged parts from the junkyards. I believe both of the amc engined jeeps are running the dura spark stuff. I was wondering if there was a shadetree way to put the hei in the engines that works some way to wire the tbi around the distribator which I really don't want to do. I have talked to John Wilson about some things on this subject.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts