Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to swap over from a tbi unit to carb for now. I aquired a really healthy tbi enigne, but I want to just install it and run it for now, so I figured I would pull the tbi intake and bolt on a 4 barrel intake and car setup, no deal though. the center bolts are not right for the heads. Long story short, I want to run a carb and intake on a newer (93) motor until I can gather up a wiring harness and ecu for the tbi unit. So what do I need to make this work? is there a tbi to carb adapter anynone knows about so I could just run the stock tbi intake with a 4 barrel carb? I know the 454 used a quadrajunk pattern with an adapter for the tbi 3 bolt pattern. Thanks.
Ryan

·
Registered
42 Posts
93 Up motor intake

Ryan,

I am guessing that you are talking about a 350 chevy motor. You need to get an intake for a Vortec head or I think you can drill your existing intake to match the necessary holes. Just use the correct intake gasket for the heads and drill the holes. The bolts will not sit flat since the vortec intake bolts are at an angle, but it works.

Kent

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and a vortec intake would accept a 4 barrel then? I think I'll just try and re-drill my intake, a have a couple extras, just didn't want to if I didn't have to. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
I'm thinking for the cost of a proper intake vs jury rigging something up I'd go with the new intake. You have a good tbi engine, why risk it? Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The '93 Chevy 350 is not a Vortec engine. Starting in '86, the 350 heads/intake manifold have the two center intake manifold bolts angled. The Vortec manifold/intake doesnt use center bolts. I've read that the manifold off an earlier 350 can be modified to work--but as previously stated, the bolts wont be square to the manifold, unless you mill the manifold or use tapered washers. You'll also have to use a different distributor, since the '93 engine uses the computer to control advance & retard.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
The Rockslut said:
By the time you screw around with the intake and adapting you could have spent the money on the cheap wiring harness and ECU and have injection.
X2.

If you have the time and energy to do it twice, then you can just do it right in the first place.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
The Rockslut said:
By the time you screw around with the intake and adapting you could have spent the money on the cheap wiring harness and ECU and have injection.
definately agree

·
Registered
21,812 Posts
just to illustrate my redneck ness... i have done what you want to do... i drilled the TBI intake for a 2 barrel Mr Gasket adapter... and you have to run a small diamter (like points) distributor if you cannot stand points (wimp :) ) then you can use the points to trigger a MSD 6a box... that way they never burn up..
be careful marking and drilling the intake, you WILL hit water, so seal the threads up good.

my motor craft 2 bbl on the burban works a HELL of a lot better than whatever computer failure was keeping that thing so pig rich.
and I am GM factory trained and certified, so dont think i just gave up, you ahve to for out big money for tools if you want to fix an EFI motor
and if you are gonna run EFI, then someday you will have to FIX it...

peace, Dave

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
rustywagoneersdotcom said:
my motor craft 2 bbl on the burban works a HELL of a lot better than whatever computer failure was keeping that thing so pig rich.
and I am GM factory trained and certified, so dont think i just gave up, you ahve to for out big money for tools if you want to fix an EFI motor
and if you are gonna run EFI, then someday you will have to FIX it...

peace, Dave
you may be factory trained and "certified" but if you cant fix a gm tbi setup you need to find another profession gm tbi is dirt simple and can be diagnosed by a tech with a dvom in most cases,
what special high dollar tools do you need for a tbi motor ?

·
Registered
963 Posts
x2.......
Man it should be dirt cheap to find a factory harness and make it work......:shaking:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I modified the two center bolts to the correct angle, and it bolted right on, and sealed well! So now I have a 4 barrel on a tbi engine, and it does run good, Now I will try and find a tbi harness and computer to make it tbi again when time permits, but for now it runs and drives. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
21,812 Posts
sorry fellas, but tps and map can both show fine on a dvm and have ghosts on an oscilloscope pattern
i know all the magazines sy that tbi is simple, and in many ways it is
EFI = Economy For Idiots

but if the thing lays down on you in the middle of the night, you cant fake it into the next town
sorry, i guess it is the survivalist in me, but i aint waitin to see what happens, i am gonna beat on a carb with a hammer, and sand some frickin points, and get my ass to civiilization

or maybe it is just my paranoia against EMP :)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
or maybe you just dont know as much as you would like everybody to think

i understand the odd ghosts as you call them and have only encountered 1 gm tbi that i needed a scope to diagnose and it was a bad module in a new dist

·
Registered
21,812 Posts
wow, gosh i think that was supposed to hurt?
like any of this is personal....
and you proved my point for me?
thanks, and have a nice night!
in a thread like no one else will see...

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
rustywagoneersdotcom said:
wow, gosh i think that was supposed to hurt?
like any of this is personal....
and you proved my point for me?
thanks, and have a nice night!
in a thread like no one else will see...
Let me guess... you don't own a color tv either, because they haven't been "perfected" yet. If you got problems working with TBI you're definitely gonna have problems working with a carb.... :flipoff2:

·
Registered
21,812 Posts
oh, ok
so this guy asks about putting a carb on a TBI motor
6 magazine readers tell him how awful that is, which i find hilarious
i tell him what i did, and what he might look out for
i defend him, just a little, with a few facts
and I am the dumb one

ok... now i remember why i have avoided lame web wheelers for so long

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
wow lame web wheelers? search under my user name

just because your scared of efi doesnt mean it is evil or hard to work on

·
Registered
21,812 Posts
just because i have put a carb on where efi was, or told a guy who asked how i did it does not indicate being scared of it or not being able to work on it...
most of this site is about doing sick twisted things which make people ask 'why would you do that?' funny thing is, if you break the code, you get the same treatment from people here... a guy asks about running a tbi engine on a carb for a while, i tell him what i did and to be careful of hitting water,
i also make the point that efi is not fool proof, like anything else,
i dont take it personal, and i dont think you do, i even have a little fun with the flame wars once in a while, but wow, this was just silly
peace, Dave

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am trying to swap over from a tbi unit to carb for now. I aquired a really healthy tbi enigne, but I want to just install it and run it for now, so I figured I would pull the tbi intake and bolt on a 4 barrel intake and car setup, no deal though. the center bolts are not right for the heads. Long story short, I want to run a carb and intake on a newer (93) motor until I can gather up a wiring harness and ecu for the tbi unit. So what do I need to make this work? is there a tbi to carb mr gasket adapter anynone knows about so I could just run the stock tbi intake with a 4 barrel carb? I know the 454 used a quadrajunk pattern with an adapter for the tbi 3 bolt pattern. Thanks.
Ryan
Yeah. My uncle is also planning which has something to do with the trick battery. I am also looking for some pictures as well.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts