Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
just to illustrate my redneck ness... i have done what you want to do... i drilled the TBI intake for a 2 barrel Mr Gasket adapter... and you have to run a small diamter (like points) distributor if you cannot stand points (wimp :) ) then you can use the points to trigger a MSD 6a box... that way they never burn up..
be careful marking and drilling the intake, you WILL hit water, so seal the threads up good.

my motor craft 2 bbl on the burban works a HELL of a lot better than whatever computer failure was keeping that thing so pig rich.
and I am GM factory trained and certified, so dont think i just gave up, you ahve to for out big money for tools if you want to fix an EFI motor
and if you are gonna run EFI, then someday you will have to FIX it...

peace, Dave
OK, I know I'm four years late with this but here's what I'm up to. I race Outlaw Sportsman in New England. I have a SBC TBI engine I want to put a 2 barrel Holley on. After a few days of Internet research, it looks as though Holly is the only place to get an adapter manifold. Their price isn't too far out but I'd prefer to just get an adapter plate. Anyone know if such an animal exists?

Regards,
Another Dave

·
Registered
21,812 Posts
OK, I know I'm four years late with this but here's what I'm up to. I race Outlaw Sportsman in New England. I have a SBC TBI engine I want to put a 2 barrel Holley on. After a few days of Internet research, it looks as though Holly is the only place to get an adapter manifold. Their price isn't too far out but I'd prefer to just get an adapter plate. Anyone know if such an animal exists?

Regards,
Another Dave
Awwwww man, you had to quote me at my worst regarding grammar, spelling, and... pretty much everything...

As I said, you can drill the TBI manifold for a 2-barrel adapter.

You will hit water, so be careful of sealing - or - since you are in a racing situation, you might want to eliminate the hot water around the plenum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Awwwww man, you had to quote me at my worst regarding grammar, spelling, and... pretty much everything...

As I said, you can drill the TBI manifold for a 2-barrel adapter.

You will hit water, so be careful of sealing - or - since you are in a racing situation, you might want to eliminate the hot water around the plenum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for answering so quickly. Not to worry about your spelling or grammar. Just so long as I understand what you're getting at it's no problem.

Regarding drilling and tapping the existing manifold [something I hadn't even considered until I read your post from 5 years ago], the TBI bores don't quite match the Holly bores. Is that going to be an issue. Are you recommending that I line them up as best I can and just go for it?

·
Registered
21,812 Posts
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for answering so quickly. Not to worry about your spelling or grammar. Just so long as I understand what you're getting at it's no problem.

Regarding drilling and tapping the existing manifold [something I hadn't even considered until I read your post from 5 years ago], the TBI bores don't quite match the Holly bores. Is that going to be an issue. Are you recommending that I line them up as best I can and just go for it?
I would prefer that this thread never see the light of day again.

BUT. I am NOT recommending that you do anything but buy a good intake manifold, since you are in a racing situation. I think it would be a better plan to weld/mill (or grind) as needed to put a good intake on your motor.

I am assuming you have the normal SBC bolt pattern at the ends, and the angled bolt pattern in the center holes? As in, iron head TBI and the last of the carb engines?

If you had to run a TBI engine with a TBI manifold, but you had to run it with a carburetor - you CAN do it by drilling and tapping the manifold for the 2-barrel adapter. And if you made your mind up to do that, then yes - line the bores up as best you can, and then blend them afterward.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-2204/?rtype=10
This is opposite of what I think you're looking for and I don't think it'll work.
This one
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-2211/
is for a 4 barrel manifold. I think it could be modified to work but I don't know that for sure. With some basic skills you could make the adapter you're looking for.
I made one to go from a MC2100 to a TBI intake out of two pieces of 1/4 steel. Kinda ghetto but it works just fine. I would have liked to use a chunk of 1/2 aluminum- but I used what I had.

·
Registered
9 Posts
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-2204/?rtype=10
This is opposite of what I think you're looking for and I don't think it'll work.
This one
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-2211/
is for a 4 barrel manifold. I think it could be modified to work but I don't know that for sure. With some basic skills you could make the adapter you're looking for.
Yup, I think I can modify that Trans-Dapt adapter to do what I want by drilling and countersinking the tapped holes and putting Heli-Coils in the c'bored holes. What do you think. Is that a workable plan?

·
Registered
9 Posts
...I am assuming you have the normal SBC bolt pattern at the ends, and the angled bolt pattern in the center holes? As in, iron head TBI and the last of the carb engines?

If you had to run a TBI engine with a TBI manifold, but you had to run it with a carburetor - you CAN do it by drilling and tapping the manifold for the 2-barrel adapter. And if you made your mind up to do that, then yes - line the bores up as best you can, and then blend them afterward.
Here's the deal. NE Outlaw rules are 2 barrel carburetor, minimum weight and 355 CID. Although we can run the modern, good flowing TBI heads, no one has tried it yet [that I know of]. I have two TBI 350 truck engines with vertical intake mounting screws and center hole valve covers. I'll rebuild the heads and the bottom half with a good oval track cam if I can find a way to mount the 2-bbl Holly to the TBI manifold. If I need to go buy a Holly manifold, I will but I'd rather use an adapter so it won't look too radical. Most of those guys don't think outside the box so we'll have an advantage for a while anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Someone [here I think] asked me if the TBI block still had provision for the mechanical fuel pump. I check both of mine and not only do they have full provisions for the mechanical fuel pump including the push rod hole, they STILL have the tapped holes for the mid 50's motor mount. Amazing....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am trying to swap over from a tbi unit to carb for now. I aquired a really healthy tbi enigne, but I want to just install it and run it for now, so I figured I would pull the tbi intake and bolt on a 4 barrel intake and car setup, no deal though. the center bolts are not right for the heads. Long story short, I want to run a carb and intake on a newer (93) motor until I can gather up a wiring harness and ecu for the tbi unit. So what do I need to make this work? is there a tbi to carb adapter anynone knows about so I could just run the stock tbi intake with a 4 barrel carb? I know the 454 used a quadrajunk pattern with an adapter for the tbi 3 bolt pattern. Thanks.
Ryan
Ryan just get a manifold from a 1977/1978 caprice class
ic 305

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
Hey, Dumbshit, you just answered a post from 2006.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my motor craft 2 bbl on the burban works a HELL of a lot better than whatever computer failure was keeping that thing so pig rich.
and I am GM factory trained and certified, so dont think i just gave up, you ahve to for out big money for tools if you want to fix an EFI motor
and if you are gonna run EFI, then someday you will have to FIX it...

peace, Dave
[/QUOTE]
or maybe you put more cam than the tbi likes, as i did'
25+ years experience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
you may be factory trained and "certified" but if you cant fix a gm tbi setup you need to find another profession gm tbi is dirt simple and can be diagnosed by a tech with a dvom in most cases,
what special high dollar tools do you need for a tbi motor ?
i like tbi, but it is a bottle neck, my g2500 has vortec heads, headers and a marine cam, hei and carb made a world of difference. i can light the tires for a block in my 5500lb Beast.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts