Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was dumping some SeaFoam cleaner in the throttle body and when I dumped the Seafoam in the right (pass side) of the throttle body it made a loud sucking sound. When I dumped it in the left side of the throttle body there was no noise.

There is two butterflys in the TBI. Does one butterfly feed fuel into half the cylnders and the other butterfly feed the other half ?
The motor was idling when I dumped it in.

Could the gasket under the TBI be the problem? I had the TBI off but didn't replace the gasket at that time.
Or could the problem be in the TBI?
It seams to be lacking some power.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
The right hand side of the throttle body is where the IAC is located and where the majority of the air cycles thru when at idle. That is probably why you heard the sound you describe. However that is the same location that is prone to the throttle body gasket developing a leak. If you spray some carb cleaner to the rear of the IAC and you hear a leak then it is time for a gasket.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wounder if there could be other things wrong with the TBI?
Sometimes the motor will not rev up at cold startup. The motor will almost die but revs up to keep it from killing.
Other times, when the motor is warm,it seams that the idle is too high. I need to hook up the tach to see what rpm its at.

Could these problems be from the IAC?
If so, it would be strange as the IAC on my LandCruiser is having a problem with its IAC. Or could it be something like the O2 sensor?
I get a check engine light but it doesn't store a code so I can't tell what the reason was for the light.

·
Web Wheeler For Hire
1,888 Posts
Could be a worn IAC causing that. TBI units do wear like a carburator on the throttle shaft causing a vacum leak. It's just like anything else and needs some TLC once every 100,000 miles or so. :D

I don't understand the check engine light coming on and NOT storing a code?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need to add that the check engine light came on for a while then turned off.

I drove it after replacing the gasket under the TBI. It starts fine and runs good.
I also replace the wires with Autolite Pro Wires and NGK Platium plugs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts