Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 97 std cab Tacoma today with a missing P/S pump, bracket, and pulley. I'm looking for any info on using the TC style pump with the stock rack/pinion. Haven't been able to come up with anything from searching. Is it as easy as adapting the return hose and high pressure line from the truck to the new pump?

TC kits are around $400 and replacement stock parts are going to run me about the same...

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Im intrested in this as well, my main concern is exploding the rack and pinion, who knows it may be fine!! There were some guys on TTORA that were going to try it, im trying to find out if they ever did.

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
Picked up a 97 std cab Tacoma today with a missing P/S pump, bracket, and pulley. I'm looking for any info on using the TC style pump with the stock rack/pinion. Haven't been able to come up with anything from searching. Is it as easy as adapting the return hose and high pressure line from the truck to the new pump?

TC kits are around $400 and replacement stock parts are going to run me about the same...
got a stock setup off my 96 (bracket, pump, pulley) if youre interested. went to a tc when i went sas

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
got a stock setup off my 96 (bracket, pump, pulley) if youre interested. went to a tc when i went sas
Fortunately I was able to find one at the 'yard today for $65. Thank you for your offer sir, I appreciate it. The only thing it didn't have was the cap, so I'm trying to find a resource for that at the moment. Picked up a universal at Oreilly today and it doesn't work, will have to see if they have one where the "tongs" on it are deeper. My ALLDATA doesn't show it individually.

Hopefully someone can chime in if they indeed used the TC pump kit and/or the Chilkat (or other) bracket so that this thread isn't a waste of space.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You can buy the PS pump cap for around 15 or 20 bucks at the dealer. Separate from the whole pump.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thought I should chime in here since I make the TC pump conversion brackets. All of my experience with the Tc pumps are with corssover, hydro assist and full hydro steering. Various setups have required custom lines or an adapter to reuse factory Toyota ps lines. Adapting to correct fittings or making lines for rack and pinion steering should be similar. We haven't used any Tc pumps with rack and Pinion steering, so I can not say whether or not they will work together, but I don't see why not. My experience is mainly offroad with TC pumps and they get the job done!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts