Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mostly i just want to know whats up with this split t-case i keep hearing about is it more rugged? beter lowrange?just another name for a fourspeed case?doese it have diferent gearing?

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
3 spd = 75 down I think and is a lower gear than 4 spd. both use a 1 piece cast aluminum housing.

split case is found on late model cruisers and is a 2 piece aluminum housing that is stronger than the 1 piece fousings.

·
Registered
287 Posts
early, 3spd case, whatever else you call it: 2.313:1 low gear (weaker case)
later, 4spd case: 1.9ish:1 gear
split-case; 85?-later; same gearing as 4spd, but case is stronger

the cases are named after the transmission they were placed behind, not due to the xfer actually having 3 or 4 speeds.

malphrus

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Wrong..
Split case ratio is usually the same as the 3spd case.. Or very close..
2.276 thus my 2.28 gear shift lever.

Super strong, biggest idler shaft is the FJ62 case which is 38mm.. Gussetted all over. easy to rebuild compared to 3 and 4 spd cases.. Came in wagons and super late FJ40's..

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
3 & 4 speed xfer cases are identical except for their internal width. The 4-spd gears are thicker. That's how some guys install (lower) 3-spd xfer gears in a 4-spd xfer case, using thicker idler gear shims.

·
Registered
287 Posts
what was the first year for the split-case?

(and i apologize for the wrong answer...ha ha)

malphrus

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
FJ60 for sure.. Now I'm not positive but I think maybe.. 81 FJ40.. But again.. Don't quote me on that.. I'm in the midwest and we don't get those round here cause they're all rusted away if they ever were even here..
there are 3 different split cases also.. FJ60 short, FJ60 long and FJ62..
Short didn't always have provision for the H55 oil cup and no need to plug a hole if putting in an H55.. FJ60 long came off the longer tranny FJ60 which had an h42 with a spacer on the back.. then the Fj62 case vacuum shifted and strongest of all..

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Well, Yes an no.. I've personally had in my truck a 16 spline h41 and a 19spline h41..
and seen 10 spline h41's.

YOur Probalby using a 16 spline output h41 tho.. Which you'll need to change output shafts to the 10 spline one offered by Marlin when doing a toybox. I have a shaft(the actual Marlin 10 spline replacement toybox one) at home and can show you what it looks like if you want..
Clear as mud yet? That's why I always recommend a 19 spline output h42 when going to a toybox.. Just cut the shaft down and go! Use Marlin's h55 input gear and your done..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts