is rattling... really bad at high speed/RPM. I still get good
contact with the case and everything shifts fine... but is there a
way to adjust the linkage to tighten it up? And could this be
indicative of a larger problem... such as a bad motor mount of trans
mount?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Try lubricating and tightening up the pivot points. If that doesn't work, check to see if they are worn out and need replacing.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Is it actually the linkage, or could it be the shifter rattling? I've quieted the shifter rattle by slipping a length of appropriate-diameter heater hose over the shifter shaft, and then put on a velcro camo cover from Specter. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It probably is the pivot points... the rattle comes in through the shifter but even when I hold it, I still hear the rattle. Would I have to drop the trans and tcase to replace the pivot points or can it be done while they're still in... it seems kind tight.

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
If you can get a wrench onto the hex at the base of the main pivot that screws into the side of the tranny, you can unscrew the shaft out of the tranny and drop the lever assembly out that way. Shouldn't need to pull the trans cover. Definitely don't need to drop the trans. Hth

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, wheeled the 40 a few weekends ago and the tcase is pretty much shot. I tightened up the pivot points and eleminated the rattle in the linkage... but still heard lots of noise. Got home and changed the gear oil and found lots of metal shavings. I guess I'm looking at a rebuild... I won't be wheelin' for a while. :(

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Pull the front output shift fork first and see if it is worn out. They tend to wear out if the oil level drops below the output shaft.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts