Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 80 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Which manifold/header are you running? Mine has a pacesetter long tube that is preventing a sweet spot for mounting a link on the inside. The Clayton 3 link that's on it works fine, but I'd like to lower the front and can't with the clayton kit.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Which manifold/header are you running? Mine has a pacesetter long tube that is preventing a sweet spot for mounting a link on the inside. The Clayton 3 link that's on it works fine, but I'd like to lower the front and can't with the clayton kit.
Stock manifold. There is no way I could fit an after market header and the upper link.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Stock manifold. There is no way I could fit an after market header and the upper link.
I'm noticing that as well. My 3rd link is on the outside of the frame and would hit everything if I went any lower. And the header is in the way of trying to run a 4 link, or moving it inside the frame. Thanks for the quick help. Any reason you decided not to run it on the passenger side?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I'm noticing that as well. My 3rd link is on the outside of the frame and would hit everything if I went any lower. And the header is in the way of trying to run a 4 link, or moving it inside the frame. Thanks for the quick help. Any reason you decided not to run it on the passenger side?
Driveline:beer:

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Also, I saw where you replaced the exhaust, but never mentioned with what. Mine has some ricer tip and is annoying after an hour or two on the trail. Would like something quieter, but have a decemt sound. Your videos don't seem annoying like mine is.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
Basically running a 2" long piece of flex pipe just after the stock manifold, then a few feet of 1 3/4"Ø pipe to a MagnaFlow muffler, and a short turn down, but angled more towards the side than down.

Mufler

Sound is ice and somewhat quiet. I get a bunch of people that comment on how quiet it is. This video is the old mufler, but the new one is just slightly louder. I may get some video of it this weekend.

Going throught the last section at Hollister Hills - YouTube

·
Registered
622 Posts
Nice buggy :smokin:

I see you are running the sami T-Case. How is it going, strenghwise ?

I'm planning a build and can make myself to the idea of running this tiny case with tons and 40"...

People keep saying me no problem, but, you know...

I absolutely hate breakage.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
Nice buggy :smokin:

I see you are running the sami T-Case. How is it going, strenghwise ?

I'm planning a build and can make myself to the idea of running this tiny case with tons and 40"...

People keep saying me no problem, but, you know...

I absolutely hate breakage.

Thanks
I don't know how anyone can make this case last behind anything other than a 1.3. I have broke 7 or 8 back half of the cases, 2 of the front of the cases, 4 front output shafts. That being said I get it in all kinds of situations. Most of those breaks were with the original high mile engine. I think if your easy on things it could work with more power, but not for me. There have been 2 things with this rig that have frustrated me one of them is breaking the t-case, and the other is the front r&p.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Toy axles were a no no to me as the R&P are so small...

So, no sami T-Case either... I'm leaning towards a Dana300 and a LoMax gearset but I'm affraid that even with 5,43 in the axles it won't be low enough... And Toy cases are rare were I live...

All I have to buy now is a 5.0 atlas, right ? Damn ! :grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Toy axles were a no no to me as the R&P are so small...

So, no sami T-Case either... I'm leaning towards a Dana300 and a LoMax gearset but I'm affraid that even with 5,43 in the axles it won't be low enough... And Toy cases are rare were I live...

All I have to buy now is a 5.0 atlas, right ? Damn ! :grinpimp:
Are you still running the Samurai engine? I'm not sure what kind of wheeling you do, but for crawling a Dana 300 with the 4:1 is not going to do it. I considered a 5:1 Atlas at one point.It would be nice for a little more wheel speed, but not low enough for real technical stuff. Plus it does not have any reduction in high range. A 4speed Atlas would work great, but they don't offer it in a divorced option like the standard 2 speed. I'm sure someone could make a adapter though. Here is a good calculator for playing with all the numbers. It allows you to change everything and see what it will look like. From my experience I think 100:1-130:1 is a good range for the stock engine.

Suzuki Samurai Gear Calculator

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have a 1.6 16v with its 4sp auto from a sidekick.

I saw this great write-up about fitting a mitsubishi gearbox (I can find that easiliy) to the 1.6 using the suzuki bell housing :

4sp OD MOD Replacement - Zukikrawlers

It allows to run a dana 300 (or atlas) directly. No divorced T-Case, I like that.

I ride mostly in woods, it can be dry in summer, but it's mostly freakin' wet/slipery all the time, so wheelspeed does matter. It's quite like the southern style riding in the US.

I also looked at a sidekick T-Case to dana 300 doubler (1.98 x 2.62 or 4.0) , but I don't know where I can find a such thing. It seems to me that the only people who have this setup did it themselves. I don't have the tools or know-how to make it.

Here is a gear calculator I like, it's really complete : Gear Ratio Calculator

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I have a 1.6 16v with its 4sp auto from a sidekick.

I saw this great write-up about fitting a mitsubishi gearbox (I can find that easiliy) to the 1.6 using the suzuki bell housing :

4sp OD MOD Replacement - Zukikrawlers

It allows to run a dana 300 (or atlas) directly. No divorced T-Case, I like that.

I ride mostly in woods, it can be dry in summer, but it's mostly freakin' wet/slipery all the time, so wheelspeed does matter. It's quite like the southern style riding in the US.

I also looked at a sidekick T-Case to dana 300 doubler (1.98 x 2.62 or 4.0) , but I don't know where I can find a such thing. It seems to me that the only people who have this setup did it themselves. I don't have the tools or know-how to make it.

Here is a gear calculator I like, it's really complete : Gear Ratio Calculator
Wow I like that calculator:beer:

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Update on the rig. I was planning on upgrading the engine, trans, and t-case to run the Nor-Cal Rock, but the rig is just too much fun to wheel as it is now. The lack of power for getting trail to trail can be annoying, but it more than makes up for it when it starts to get rough. With that said we plan on running the Idaho X-Rocks series, so it's time to start getting the rig ready for dodging some cones. First thing is replacing the rear R&P. After years of abuse it finally had enough at KOH. I'm throwing in a new set up Trail Gear 5:29 gears along with all new bearings that I bought through Frontier 4x4. Here are a few shots from KOH. These were taken on Full of Love. Then as a bonus there are a couple of the gears.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Picked up that muffler, and it's still loud. Oh well, maybe once the rear is floored in, it will soften it.

Looks like a fun trip, jealous for sure.

61 - 80 of 148 Posts