Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im no desert racer or have ever even wheeled in the desert but will be back next year for sure. Im going to start by stating what Team Nasty had to work with. We had no race radio, no gps, one spare tire, no spare axle or drive shafts, we had one pit crew that jumped from main pit to masters pit, and pretty much just wanted to race the lcq just to see if we could make the main race.

Lets start with the lcq on wednesday. With the rain the night before we were planning on winching backdoor even though we made it in one shot in practice but with the rain we had no chance. Im gonna say one thing my junk is way out of control at speed, its a handfull to drive at speed but we were pushing hard before backdoor to make up time. Well as we nosed up to the wall and miles aka bad ass said to hit it which it seemed to want to make so we hit it to more times but to no avail had to winch. Not a big deal didnt take that long until we caught on fire at the top because the alternator wire was to small and combined with the winch fest just didnt want to preform anymore. Still wasnt a big deal though we jumped out wraped a glove around it and continued on until on the back side of sand hill it caught fire again. I unbuckled taped another glove to the throttle cable which was on fire this time ( I have no idea how it caught fire) buckled back in and was hauling ass to make up time. Went down trapdoor in high side rolled on my nose and roof but somehow drove out of it ran around 70 or 80mph the whole back side of the course and finshed in 25 minutes. (20th spot)

Race Day

Started 75th and the plan was to just take it easy and follow people, because of the lack of gps we had no idea where we were going. I really cant tell you much about the race and where stuff happened because I had no idea where I was the whole race all I knew I was on track and making progress. Between the bfg pit and main pit we land the driveshaft on a rock blowing the end of the cap out but welded a washer to in at main. We trucke along to mile 60 before landing on the rear dshaft again but this time blowing the whole cap out and the shaft falling on the ground. Ended up duct taping the dshaft to the cage and making I think check 9 before calling it quits because it wasnt worth the winch fest it would have took to get back to the bfg pit where we had no one there to assist us or spare parts.

All in all I had an awesome time, will be comming back next year to race but will be a little more prepared and looking to have a great time again. I want to thank a few people that helped me out because Im a one man race team with no sponsors. Agr with all your advise and pumps, Mac from superior for the rear shafts that got me into the lcq, Ron from ten factory for the front stubs, and to all the Triple Nickle guys who came all the way from Kansas and Houston just to help out without your help I wouldnt have been able to race.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Triple Nickel pitted for 4 cars on race day and we were very happy to pit for you Matt. ANYTIME!!!! And we always want to help the good guys!!!

On Matts behalf I'd like to thank BFG for swapping tires on the 4424 on Monday, and to Creighton King for running by Superior Axle on Rancho Cucamonga on Tuesday and bringing axles back.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Too bad you couldn't get Keylite to sponsor you. You may know an asian hooker who can airbrush the mountains on yer skins:flipoff2: I honestly think you did great and with a little fine tuning and some upgraded equipment you could be a contender next year. You lunatics just have a never say die attitude which greatly helps and I look forward to coming out and wheeling in your stomping grounds. Maybe I'll bring Christopher and we'll see if we can find a bar you are allowed in and cause ruckus

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
good job making it into the race.

now I want the story on they abortion you called a spare tire carrier :laughing:

the rest of the rig looked like it had real race fab and was pretty sweet....then you found a drunk blind redneck on the farm to make the spare mount. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah the tire mount. It was so bad in the whoops that we were doing everything we could to make the rear end settle down. That was built on the lake bed and it still didnt help the rear end any better so the spare was ditched and just didnt get it cut back out. Im from texas something has to be a little off.:flipoff2:

·
Vertical Limits
5,037 Posts
Still need to change some stuff in the driver compartment to make people over 5' tall fit:flipoff2:
That was a seriously fun 60 miles to ride. As some of you saw, a true "bad ass" rode in the lcq, that would be miles. Then I rode the main race as I'm a little more savvy on the creativity in a pinch and mechanical ability end. Notables were moving from 75th to 38th (we were told, pirate had us at 42 at one point but who knows.) We passed lots of broken folks, so that doesn't count, but we also picked off a few rigs in honest fashion.
At the sand hill at mile 30 or so, we were about the 5th ones there with Holder broken in the middle. Everyone else was just sitting there watching. I took off my helmet and neck roll and went up there. I helped push him out of the way so others could get by, wasting about 10 minutes. When I walked back down about 20 people had showed up and were waiting. Matt was at the rig and pointed at the link bolt. It was about 75% out. As he took it from drive to reverse with the rear disco'd and a rock chalking us, I beat on the bolt with a rock. Finally he remembered the 2x4 that was our parking brake and we pried it in place and vise gripped it in. We (after that 10 minutes) went on into camp and welded the bolt in and the ujoint cap in the shaft. In hindsight we should have had my ready welder in the rig after that. That's why its 20/20.
Aftershock was awesome. The high left line through the crowd looked good as we rolled up. Lil's rig went for it and we were on his ass. He dumped it in between 2 rocks and pulled cable, and we went above him. When I pulled line I snapped our hook into the same choker rope that he was in, courtesy of the Master Pull guys. He was like, "wtf man, that's my winch point, and you'll pull the rock over" I said something about its racing, I don't know exactly. We went past and made about a 7 car pass there. That was a great feeling.
Blasting around through all the trails on the way to Masters was a great time too cat and mousing with a couple other drivers.
It really was going smooth until the rear shaft popped out again at 60.
Oh well, we'll get them next year with better equipment, a rig shaken down with several TORR (Texas Off Road Racing) desert racing events under its belt, and a better game plan for pitting and spares.
We will probably have the same slide in campers on the front of goosenecks with no heat all redneck style though. Poor people= poor ways:p
Like Matt said, Mac and Ron for the shafts or that shit plain wouldn't have happened. Wyatt and his new chase truck or we would have been out of gas and luck. Miles for his constant positive marketing (showing his tatoo'd ass and throwing one liners) and Ben and John for being driven and smart, although I'm not sure which is which:flipoff2: You also can't forget Matt's Asian Hooker! for her support :eek:
See you all next year if not sooner and Matt, thanks for the opportunity to race with you. I'll race your ass in Disney:mr-t:

·
Premium Member
4,718 Posts
CH 9 it was... ya'll were good folks to talk with. next time ya'll should hang out and have a beer or 2 instead of the gatorade... hope to ride with ya'll at morris mountain...

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Good to see ya again Matt....you too Wyatt and Kelly!! Like I said in my thread, sorry about backing up and forcing you to take the bypass on Crowbar, but since you burned my rear brake lines (fawking, dirty nickle!!:flipoff2:), I had no brakes and the tune on the computer was for the other engine so it would not idle AT ALL. No Brakes + no idle + 5 spd + steep down hill = Roll on lid.

When we saw you guys with no helmets on, going slow flipping us off, we laughed and thought you clowns had missed a checkpoint.

Your and Lil's line at Aftershock was pretty bad ass. You guys looked good, but I thought Lil was going to roll back down onto the trail.

PM me your address for the sweatshirt.

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Still need to change some stuff in the driver compartment to make people over 5' tall fit:flipoff2:
That was a seriously fun 60 miles to ride. As some of you saw, a true "bad ass" rode in the lcq, that would be miles. Then I rode the main race as I'm a little more savvy on the creativity in a pinch and mechanical ability end. Notables were moving from 75th to 38th (we were told, pirate had us at 42 at one point but who knows.) We passed lots of broken folks, so that doesn't count, but we also picked off a few rigs in honest fashion.
At the sand hill at mile 30 or so, we were about the 5th ones there with Holder broken in the middle. Everyone else was just sitting there watching. I took off my helmet and neck roll and went up there. I helped push him out of the way so others could get by, wasting about 10 minutes. When I walked back down about 20 people had showed up and were waiting. Matt was at the rig and pointed at the link bolt. It was about 75% out. As he took it from drive to reverse with the rear disco'd and a rock chalking us, I beat on the bolt with a rock. Finally he remembered the 2x4 that was our parking brake and we pried it in place and vise gripped it in. We (after that 10 minutes) went on into camp and welded the bolt in and the ujoint cap in the shaft. In hindsight we should have had my ready welder in the rig after that. That's why its 20/20.
Aftershock was awesome. The high left line through the crowd looked good as we rolled up. Lil's rig went for it and we were on his ass. He dumped it in between 2 rocks and pulled cable, and we went above him. When I pulled line I snapped our hook into the same choker rope that he was in, courtesy of the Master Pull guys. He was like, "wtf man, that's my winch point, and you'll pull the rock over" I said something about its racing, I don't know exactly. We went past and made about a 7 car pass there. That was a great feeling.
Blasting around through all the trails on the way to Masters was a great time too cat and mousing with a couple other drivers.
It really was going smooth until the rear shaft popped out again at 60.
Oh well, we'll get them next year with better equipment, a rig shaken down with several TORR (Texas Off Road Racing) desert racing events under its belt, and a better game plan for pitting and spares.
We will probably have the same slide in campers on the front of goosenecks with no heat all redneck style though. Poor people= poor ways:p
Like Matt said, Mac and Ron for the shafts or that shit plain wouldn't have happened. Wyatt and his new chase truck or we would have been out of gas and luck. Miles for his constant positive marketing (showing his tatoo'd ass and throwing one liners) and Ben and John for being driven and smart, although I'm not sure which is which:flipoff2: You also can't forget Matt's Asian Hooker! for her support :eek:
See you all next year if not sooner and Matt, thanks for the opportunity to race with you. I'll race your ass in Disney:mr-t:
Too bad we have to drive 1500 miles to see each other, when we live in the same state, great job guy's!!! Hope you guy's could hear my generator at nite:flipoff2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts