Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 285 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
How much do you expect it to weigh when it's complete?
1500lb is kinda heavy for the size I'm building, but not unheard of. The axle and brakes are rated 3500lb so even if I go nuts, it should be under a ton. The wifes minivan is rated tow is 3500lb ::smokin: I'm not really going for lite weight on this one, she's a fatty. I plan on 15" wheels with a fatish tire.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I get it for people that basically live on the road, but I will never understand the people that drive a 50' class A motor home from their garage to the woods, then promptly go inside and watch satellite TV all weekend. Just use it in your yard at that point.

I like the teardrops because you're actually still camping, you just get to skip the setting up part, particularly hauling out bins of kitchen stuff, and if you have to pack up and leave in the rain it doesn't suck.
Friend of mine has a Class C and wants to get rid of it and build a teardrop. The main sticking point is his wife saying she doesn't want to have to go outside to go to the bathroom.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
You plan on running a shower? There are some really nice on demand LP water heaters that are made for " pool house" use that are much cheaper and better than RV ones

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Friend of mine has a Class C and wants to get rid of it and build a teardrop. The main sticking point is his wife saying she doesn't want to have to go outside to go to the bathroom.
Show her the homer bucket in the first photo. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Did a little work today tighting up the exterior and layout of the kitchen and cabinets. It's made for a queen size mattress, and I'm guessing it has to go in before the kitchen :confused: That pretty much means the complete interior needs to be done, mattress installed, then build kitchen. Fucknuts.
Sketch out your kitchen. The kitchen can stay in place, just have bottom 18" with a screwed in panel. At some point you will want to get mattress out of there.

Other thought is an Ikea foam mattress. It is possible to put in, and pull back out (make a "U" channel around the door opening, as you will rip out any trim that is loose).

·
Premium Member
69,483 Posts
You plan on running a shower? There are some really nice on demand LP water heaters that are made for " pool house" use that are much cheaper and better than RV ones
Huh. I just got offered a 7.5 gallon Natural Gas Hater heater that's only about 4 years old.

Shipping to Colorado might not be worth it though, and you'd need a new orifice.

If you want it Mike, let me know, before it gets thrown away.

Maybe I'll grab it anyway, and add to the collection in the yard.:laughing:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Look at getting a queen foam mattress. I've found they are generally more comfortable, and it was easy to get in.
The ones at wallmart seem to be the ones most people like, I did a bunch of searching when I was changing the mattress in my camper.

·
Premium Member
13,298 Posts
Look at getting a queen foam mattress. I've found they are generally more comfortable, and it was easy to get in.
The ones at wallmart seem to be the ones most people like, I did a bunch of searching when I was changing the mattress in my camper.
We have a walmart fake memory foam queen for camping. It's only about 4-5" thick and is reaaaally comfortable.

Badass build btw :smokin:

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I helped some friends build a home built tear drop that's not quite a true teardrop. We left the bottom flat for max space and built it 5x9. They found a fold up queen mattress that turns into a couch and is a comfortable bed. I think it was the single most expensive piece of the build though. Couple pics,

Fun fact, its extra tall because a measurement was taken to make sure there was reverse cowgirl head room for wifey on top. It weighs just over 1000 lbs empty so that it could be pulled behind a new Subaru.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Question for you. I'm a welder and not a 'wood guy' so please keep this at a third grade level. :homer:

I've been researching teardrops for a couple of years now, and want one that is car tow-able. Think Ford Taurus, Subaru outback, Ford Crown vic. Not smart car.

I've been thinking 4x8, both for economy and for ease of build, since one standard sheet will basically do every panel. How much harder has it been going bigger and dealing with seams? 5x10 shouldn't be much harder to pull than a 4x8, but it seems like the build would be a fair amount harder and more expensive.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Question for you. I'm a welder and not a 'wood guy' so please keep this at a third grade level. :homer:

I've been researching teardrops for a couple of years now, and want one that is car tow-able. Think Ford Taurus, Subaru outback, Ford Crown vic. Not smart car.

I've been thinking 4x8, both for economy and for ease of build, since one standard sheet will basically do every panel. How much harder has it been going bigger and dealing with seams? 5x10 shouldn't be much harder to pull than a 4x8, but it seems like the build would be a fair amount harder and more expensive.
4x8 is definitely easier and cheaper, you could build one off a $300 harbor freight utility trailer and 6 sheets of plywood. From what I've seen though, they just tend to be too small inside for two people, and most go bigger shortly after getting them. If you camp by yourself with a dog it would probably be fine, but I don't think you'd be happy with a lady in there unless you're both pint-sized. 54" seems to be the smallest popular width, which is a full size bed with walls pushed up against each side.

The seams shouldn't really matter, as you need to skin it with something anyway if you want durability. It would probably last ok if you just sealed it and used an oil-based paint as long as you live in a dry climate and store it indoors though.

I can tell you from experience that a scarf joint with Titebond 3 is waterproof enough to build a boat from. :flipoff2:

If you're really worried about splicing panels, 5'x10' plywood is available, and may not cost a ton more when you factor in the extra sheets of 4'x8' you need due to waste.

https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/panel-products/construction-panels/sanded-plywood/roseburg-3-4-23-32-x-5-x-10-acx-fir-plywood/building-materials/panel-products/construction-panels/sanded-plywood/roseburg-3-4-23-32-x-5-x-10-acx-fir-plywood/p-1444452505105.htm;jsessionid=03F9CBFD08776A1E9B136BE812D11736.tndm-prodapp1-external-mcom

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
My wife was jealous in the middle of the night when we were tent camping a couple weeks ago and I just unzipped the bottom of the door about a foot, rolled on my side and took a leak from my sleeping pad. I do the same in my hammock : :flipoff2:

I can understand the "no bathroom" being an issue for some, but if you're in a campground there are facilities, and if you're in the middle of nowhere who the hell cares. For stuff like the beach where other people are around, I'd use one of those folding spring steel pop-up tents and a homer bucket with a toilet seat lid. A vestibule tunnel could probably even be fabricated to one of the side doors so you don't have to get dressed to use it.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I want a shower, but am of the KISS mindset for campers and boats. Shit always seems to be broken on them. I don't want a bunch of plumbing, valves, etc, to have leaks and go bad.

12 Volt Sprayer - 12 Volt, 15 Gallon Tank Garden Sprayer

Something like that looks ideal for an onboard water system. Put a different spray nozzle on it and use it to fill water bottles, sink, wash hands, or even rinse off at the beach. Throw a couple of the Aqua Tainer jugs in the truck when you need more capacity, allows you to play with the weight distribution also.

A Coleman stove with the 1lb propane bottles works for cooking. No propane lines or worry about running out of fuel. For a hot shower, throw an 8qt pot on the stove, add some water, and warm it up to the temp you want. Drop one on these in it, plug it into a 12v outlet in the kitchen, and enjoy.

Amazon.com : Portable 12V DC Powered Water Pump & Shower Unit : Portable Camping Shower Gear : Sports & Outdoors

Not the coolest way to do everything by a long shot, but it is simple, cheap, functional, and problem-free. Would be perfect for 3-7 day trips, I might want something more refined if I were living out of it long term.

81 - 100 of 285 Posts