Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone has a good resource as a step by step guide on this? This will be my first tear down..

D44 front
AMC 20 rear.

Thanks Pete

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thanks, I pretty much figured that out on my own. Can anyone give a fawkin newbie a hand...

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
A basic manual like Chilton's should give you most of what you need. Get one for a '80 - '86 Grand Waggy. They have that axle combo.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks CJ.. I have a manual. But have not had the time to open it I guess. My bad. I'll look at it this weekend.. Pete

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
You have the book, need to to do the work, and instead you are here posting this trying to find the info you need? :rolleyes: Anyone else see a problem with this?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Keith Strong said:
You have the book, need to to do the work, and instead you are here posting this trying to find the info you need? :rolleyes: Anyone else see a problem with this?
Yep, ... :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:

Here's a good tip ... gear oil smells funny.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Just start...when you get to a part you can't figure out, then ask.

That's what I did...what I am doing for Dana 30.

It's pretty fun.
Ball joint's are a pain! So are inner spindle bearings.

Ball joints you'll need a puller of some sort and some imagination.

Inner seals, you'll three options...
1) the right tool an internal puller (no shops in my area have one)
2) Hit the bearing from the back side with a punch (good luck)
3) After you broke the edge of the bearing with a punch, cut the bearing with a dremel tool and a cutting wheel. :D I think heat helps too.

Pulling the carrier, try putting a rag on the ring gear and turning in to the pinion gear. Somebody here told me that trick and it worked great.

The inner seals came out easy with a seal tool and the axle to push on the tool. Getting them back in was a pain.

That's all I know, because that is all I have done so far. ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Mellow and Boulder. Sorry if my lack of knowledge offends you MR. STRONG. But we all have to start somewhere. Plan english is easier to understand than the fawkin crap that is written in the manuals...

So :flipoff2: if you don't want to help a fella out..

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
DDGETHS said:
Thanks Mellow and Boulder. Sorry if my lack of knowledge offends you MR. STRONG. But we all have to start somewhere. Plan english is easier to understand than the fawkin crap that is written in the manuals...

Kieth was saying that you HAVE the book that tells you how to do it yet you posted here asking how to do it. Why don't you get off your lazy ass and open it.

If you can't read the manuals....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
DDGETHS said:

I dunno.. last time I read chiltons. it was pretty much step by step w/ a break out diagram to assist you.

If the english in the manuals is a problem.. the english in here isn't going to be much better.

Tearing down a 44 or 20 and rebuilding is not hard. Hardest part is making sure the gears are setup properly.

·
Registered
840 Posts
i never pulled an axle apart till last weekend when i pulled the shafts on my 44. i always thought there was much more to it than what there actually is... all i had to do was go and buy a tool to get the inner hub locknuts off. the 9 rear wass even easier but i havent done anything inside the diff except change gear oil

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
SeaBass44 said:
Doh! I gots ta tear mine apoart tomorrow too:mad: I'll let ya know how it goes, yup guys, got my 1st JEEP, no more toys or zuks, full width and V8's from now on:D
Welcome to the dark side SeaBass:flipoff2:

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Robert said:

Welcome to the dark side SeaBass:flipoff2:
He he..LOL...thx:D Well I tore it down, much easier then a toy mini p/u axle, so much cleaner! The stud on the inner spindle nut had broke, letting both spindle nuts back offf and wasted both bearing/races, lucky no hub or spindle damage, new bearing/races and locking hubs and it's done.....need to tear it down one more time cause I need spindle nuts and couldn't find them on a SUNDAY:rolleyes:

·
Registered
54,554 Posts
heres a time saver for axle work find the page(s) you need in the manual and xerox them and then laminate them(trust me) now when you need to look at the blueprint you have a flat copy and if it gets greasy(and it will) just wipe it off:D

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
SeaBass44 said:
Doh! I gots ta tear mine apoart tomorrow too:mad: I'll let ya know how it goes, yup guys, got my 1st JEEP, no more toys or zuks, full width and V8's from now on:D

traitor!!:flipoff2:

I'm surprised, I didn't know you had any lawn left for new ornaments!!:D

Hef

1 - 20 of 21 Posts