Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

I installed my 2.5" OME Lift this weekend and here are some lame driveway shots.

The ride is MUCH MUCH improved and i thank Christo for making a good suggestion to which kit to get.

The install was VERY easy (i am a 1-2 banana guy and did this SOLO) and i didnt run into any hitches. Hardest part of the whole entire thing was getting the bolts that hold the rear upper shock mount plates back in. On a side note, however designed those upper stud mounts as a shock mounting system is a moron :D

All the springs went in very easy without any problems or special tools. The front shocks went in easy (Upper Drivers Side Mount is Kinda a Bear, But Not Too Bad, see below handy note for my trick). Steering damper was a breeze and very noticeable improvement (easily removed with hand pickle fork and BFH). Front spacers were real easy to install too!

I havent installed the Caster Bushings yet and need to wait to find someone with a press who has done this before. It still drives MUCH nicer then stock!

HANDY NOTES:

-Spray all bolts with PB Blaster the night before

-Remove all shocks first before anything else

-See Slees Writeup on his site

-Make sure you got GOOD jackstands! Not The Ghetto Ones!

-Be VERY Careful Of Front Brake Line from frame to axle, i didnt bother unbolting it, but probably should have. I was careful, so no damage was done!

-Mr. Gasket spacers are only about 1/2" lift, not 1" as advertised. Once the rig is lowered and the weight is on the rubber, they squish quite a bit. They are worth the $10 though!

-Once i figure out exactly the height and such i want, if i like the extra 1/2"-1" up front, i will take out the spacers and use J springs.

-When tightening up the shocks, instead of trying to crank the 17mm wrench into the area for the upper mounts. Hold the wrench still and rotate the shock (Caution, This Doesnt Work If You Have Girly Hands). If you got a good grip, this saves much time and knuckle bashing, especially on the upper stud on the drivers side!

-Double Check Everything you removed and loosended before you go on a test ride

Here are some pics:

More info on my site too: http://www.yankeetoys.org/mangler/ome.htm

Next up, tires and sliders!

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Installing an OME on an 80, is not gonna get this contest won, I've changed headlights in some cars that is more difficult than this.......... :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
texican said:
Installing an OME on an 80, is not gonna get this contest won, I've changed headlights in some cars that is more difficult than this.......... :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
I agree with ya 100%

I was asked to move it by a moderator

So, :flipoff2: To You Too!

:D

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Boston Mangler said:
I agree with ya 100%

I was asked to move it by a moderator

So, :flipoff2: To You Too!

Where did he want to move it?
Newbie tech or Chit chat? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
texican said:
Where did he want to move it?
Newbie tech or Chit chat? :flipoff2:
Told me to enter it in this thing. I dunno why!

I am about to add some fluid to my windshield washer bottle too, i am going to enter that too! :D

·
Premium Member
8,609 Posts
Boston Mangler said:
Told me to enter it in this thing. I dunno why!

Its somthing for the good of the order and would fit. I figgured if you did it, wrote it, may as well post it in the tech contest. No one said it had to be a difficult project or task to enter it. Quit being so sensitive :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Ok, if i had know about this contest, i woulda done many more pics and instructions. Oh well. Its pretty straight forward anyway.

Justin, you going to be in SD anytime soon?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts