Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are guys on here, that will not agree with everything here........... :flipoff2:
I do know for a fact, the things here will work.
First fans
best option standard rotation (v belt driven)
This is found on 80's RWD Caddys with the 4.1 V8 18" 7 blades,
The clutch that comes with the fan is longer than many, for an extra 1" use a clutch from a 94 350 TBI Impala-Roadmaster.............

Attachments

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Reverse rotation, the best option I have found is from a late 80's 3.8 T bird or Cougar 7 blades 17"
THis will usually fit the factory shroud........

Attachments

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The larger fans, (over 17") will require either a custom shroud or altering the OEM, if you need to enlarge the opening this is the easiest to work with, it's an early FJ40........the later ones are almost impossible to do, not enough material.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Electric fans, IMHO only one option, Taurus 2 speed, moves tons of air, cheap fits like it was made to go on the 40 radiator........

Attachments

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now for the controversy, I know you can buy a Griffin or some other radiator for a lot less money.........however you must fab the mounting, and I have seen very few that did not look like they were "fabbed in"
I know I can bolt one of these in, 30 minutes, and never have to worry about it.
If you order one, get the auto trans option, even if you don't have an auto, and route the PS fluid thru it.
Be Cool
This is in my truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This one is in a 350 TBI conversion with Air Conditioning.......stayed at 190 in Dallas traffic......

Attachments

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this one is in the shop now, I have removed all the bracing in the front for the AC condensor.......

Attachments

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you cool a V8 with a stock radiator..........yes I ran a stock one for 4 yrs, however, it would climb on the highway up to around 220 if I did not slow down.......
Everything must be right in order to do it, unless you live in milder climates.......
Never use the push thru plastic things to fasten coolers or fans to the radiator...fab mounts......

Attachments

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've seen some advocate hi performance W pumps, my thinking......the coolant must stay in the radiator long enough for the heat transfer to happen, one reason you must run a thermostat or restictor so it will not flow thru too fast...most hi performance pumps are for cars that turn 6000-9000 RPM's and actually have fewer blades on the impellors.....
Here is a fixed-flex fan, these do not move the air that a 7 blade clutch will, but on some rigs the clearance will not be there so you must run these.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dexcool Antifreeze is good for a few degrees, over the green, Mobil one will lower it a few degrees also.
If the block is full of rust and crud nothing will cool it down, I recently had a 4.3 come into the shop with a leaking freeze plug, when I popped the old one out, it was a solid wall of rust and crud, usually you can see the cylinder wall thru the freeze plug hole, if you have one that will not cool you might pop the easiest freeze plug out and take a peek, run your finger down inside to check for it in the lower section of the block.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
nice looking shop.. what exhaust bender do you have? (mines bend-pac)

also, do you have a p/n on that radiator?

chris :cool2:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Is that BeCool rad for V8 conversions only? If for F/2Fs, is it as bolt in as the factory replacement rad?

BTW Butch, what do you think of the "drawback" with aluminum rads that not every rad repair shop can weld/braze aluminum but can always handle brass/copper rads?

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Great Tech and excellent pics to go with it. So many people seem to think cooling a v8 motor is really a PITA, when it really it is not if you know what you're doing.

·
Registered
338 Posts
quick question: are TBI motors reverse rotation? Or just the fancy Vortech/LT1/LS1 type motors.

dumb question: do they make reverse rotation fan clutch? or does the fan clutch not care which direction it spins?

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Answering several ?? at once,
If you havea 2F overheating, you got other problems........but yes the Be Cool or the Man a Fre version will bolt in and function like stock
The Be Cool does have a GM style 2" lower hose connection, so this would nave to be changed.....OEM is 1.75" I think..
We have a Ben Pearson bender that is due for replacement soon
If the fan belt drives the water pump with the back side of the belt, it is reverse rotation, and I am not sure about the fan clutch, whether they know the differenc. I doubt it.....
The early TBI's were standard rotation, 86-87
Butch

1 - 20 of 136 Posts