Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, this one can't get much less low tech, but its something I had been planning on doing for a long time now, and I haven't seen anyone else do it. I think this only applies to early FJ40 series rides. 55 and up series won't benefit, but now you have another excuse to get an early series 40.

I've always wondered why Toyota didn't put door locks on both doors of early FJ40's. I know the FJ40 series is a minimalist ride, but come awn.. So, here's a low tech creature comfort mod- Installing a keyed door lock on the passenger door. Theres very little to the mod. Basically just acquire a lock with the clip, drill a hole for it, and install. You do need to take the window frame out to get the retaining clip onto the lock, but that is the hardest part. Install time was less than an hour.

Acquiring a lock:
You can get new locks from companies like SOR, or direct from the dealer. Used locks are also plentiful, but having a matched set of locks is obviously most desirable. Looking at the lock, it seems that a locksmith could take the lock apart and "rekey" it. I am also wondering if my hard tops lock would work from my rig, but havent looked. I actually got my lock from an ambulance door's lock. I had thought I needed a whole mbulance door lock and latch assembly to do this conversion, but it turned out I only needed the keyed lock part. An ambulance door lock latch is the same as a passenger door latch.

The door latch:
The inside door lock mechanism is the same for both the passenger and drivers side door. Infact, the entire door latch from an ambulance door can also be used for the passenger side- door handle, latch, key lock and all. The keyed lock has a square piece that simply fits into the inside (facing the door) of the lock latch. The passenger side latch is already set up to accept the keyed lock mechanism. Of course, as everything else old skool LandCruiser, its a really simple design.

Tools required:
* 13/16 or 7/8" drill bit & drill
* pilot drill (1/4), and others to step up to the large bit
* center punch
* phillips screw driver
* very small triangle file, or fine tooth jig saw blade

Installing the lock:
Step 1:
Remove the door from the rig.
You dont have to do this, but it may make things easier toward the end of the install when you put the retaining clip on the lock. It was also easier to make sure I had the drill lined up for a square hole.

Step 2:
Remove the window frame from the door.
There are 8 screws holding the window frame on. Two on the side of the door, closes to the dash, 6 on the inside of the door. You need to turn the wing window about 45* to 90* to get the window frame off. You will need to remove the access panel so that you can feed the window off the window regulator.

Step 3:
Remove the door latch from the door.
Remove the outside handle first, then the four screws holding the door latch on. You dont need to disassemble any more of the door latch.

Step 4:
Drill the hole for the lock.
Carefully align a center punch in the lock hole for the pilot hole. I happened to have a drill bit that fit nicely in the that I used to set my pilot hole, and then used a square to make sure the drill was centered. Mark you hole, and then drill a pilot hole from the side of the door that faces inside the cab. Then turn the door over and continue drilling until you finish with a 7/8" drill. The hole is actually closer to 13/16 than 7/8, but 7/8 worked for me. You only want to drill the outside hole to 7/8. You don't need to drill the inside hole bigger.

Step 5:
Cut a "key" for the lock mechanism.
Use the file to cut a "key" for the lock to prevent it from spinning in the hole.
I used a small triangle file, but a fine tooth jig saw blade would also work. be careful to not cut too much.

Step 6:
Install the retaining clip on the lock.
This is the tricky part. Put the lock in the hole, and now you need to put the retaining clip on the lock to prevent it from falling out. If you haven't removed the window frame yet, you will need to do this step now so that you can get your hands close to the lock to put the clip on. You will probably also want to take the door off the rig since dropping the clip will most likely happen atleast once, and fishing it out from the bottom of the door will be a pain.

Step 7:
Install the door latch.
Once the clip is on the lock, spin the square "key" on the backside of the lock into the unlocked position. You may want to have the key in the lock when you do this so you are sure of its position. Line the door latch's lock into the unlock position, and then put the latch back on. Test the lock with the key and the hand lock latch to be sure everything is lined up right. Put the 4 screws back in the door latch, put the outside door handle back on.

Step 8:
Complete installation.
Install the window frame and window, access panel, then put the door back on the rig. Youre done.

cheers-
Dustin

Attachments

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Starting from this 1971 FJ 40 door:

Picture of the passenger side door latch:

Remove the door from the rig, and the window frame from the door:

Pic of the backside of the door latch. I know this is a bad picture, but note it has a square hole in it to accept the keyed lock mechanism:

Picture of the keyed lock mechanism and its retaining clip:

How the latch and lock fit together:

Drilled hole with the key filed to prevent the lock from spinning in the hole:

Pic of the lock installed on the passenger door:

Attachments

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
So, let's say theoritically I were to to through the effort to drag the passenger door of my 45 all the way to Mud Lake in lets say 6 or 7 weeks from now, along with a lock cylinder and a cordless DeWalt, would you be willing to provide a demonstration that this was not just a one time fluke? :D

I'd be willing to put in a good word for you with the judges!;)

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mark, you got it. :D
I guess an even simpler mod would be to get a right hand drive Cruiser door, but this really is a simple mod. :)

-Dustin

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
choreboy2 said:
Mark, you got it. :D
I guess an even simpler mod would be to get a right hand drive Cruiser door, but this really is a simple mod. :)

-Dustin
What makes you think I've got any spare parts? :grinpimp:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts