Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Big_Ern said:
I bought the contacts from Toyota when I first tore mine down, but I ended up just cleaning it and putting it all back together since it looked in good shape. So I ended up returning the contacts -- I wanted my $50 back!! Toyota parts Canada is a rip off :mad3:
Who the hell did you piss off at the Toyota dealership? The last time I bought a set from the dealer they were under $15 for both. Wilson 45-29-6521 is the part # for 4 cyl contacts (Same as Toyota PN 28226-72010 & 28226-72080), $3.00 for both at Napa. Early 6 cylinder should use these contacts as well.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
jasonmt said:
Who the hell did you piss off at the Toyota dealership? The last time I bought a set from the dealer they were under $15 for both. Wilson 45-29-6521 is the part # for 4 cyl contacts (Same as Toyota PN 28226-72010 & 28226-72080), $3.00 for both at Napa. Early 6 cylinder should use these contacts as well.
I bought both sets, and they were $23 each. Maybe its just my local dealer that a rip off -- I'll have to try a different one next time.

·
Premium Member
4,215 Posts
Bet this would help my sometimes "Hot" start problem when driving in hot weather and stopping for a short time like to fill up the gas tank coming off the highway on a hot day. I agree that the stock Toyota starters are best. I can't tell you how many miles I have cranked my truck on the starter motor of my trail rig. Sometimes smoke is coming off the starter and/or wiring and the starter will stop cranking but they cool down and are fine!--heck just the other day I cranked my way off the freeway, off the off ramp and all the way to the gas station in my 4 Runner! Was not sure it would work but it did! Did you know you can shift up into 5th gear with the stock gear reduction style Toyota starter! Of course my wiring was burning hot and it would not start after I finished pumping the gas but 5 minutes later it started and is fine to this day! Oh yeah and don't let off on the starter motor when you shift gears or it will grind real bad:)

Jason :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Brutpwr said:
Bet this would help my sometimes "Hot" start problem when driving in hot weather and stopping for a short time like to fill up the gas tank coming off the highway on a hot day. I agree that the stock Toyota starters are best. I can't tell you how many miles I have cranked my truck on the starter motor of my trail rig. Sometimes smoke is coming off the starter and/or wiring and the starter will stop cranking but they cool down and are fine!--heck just the other day I cranked my way off the freeway, off the off ramp and all the way to the gas station in my 4 Runner! Was not sure it would work but it did! Did you know you can shift up into 5th gear with the stock gear reduction style Toyota starter! Of course my wiring was burning hot and it would not start after I finished pumping the gas but 5 minutes later it started and is fine to this day! Oh yeah and don't let off on the starter motor when you shift gears or it will grind real bad:)

Jason :)
All I can say is :eek:
your not supposed to crank with your starter for more than 3- 5 seconds at a time. bet the brushes are burnt up and the commutator is too
but as long as it works it got you home right. I just wonder what all damage it did to the flywheel teeth, the starter teeth, the bushings in the starter, the relays, the ignition switch, the starter solinoid, and of coarse the wiring in the armature, the brushes and commutator and the ignition wiring.
you might want to buy a rebuild set and have em ready :D

·
Premium Member
4,215 Posts
You would have thought my starter on my trail rig would have died years ago but it has not. There is a spare at the trailer for sure. Add to the heat abuse it gets everytime out and add constant mud (the mud pit this summer after
Top Truck has been unusually deep!) use and many months of use out in the dunes I'm amazed this thing works at all. Actually my starter in my daily driven trail rig seems to work better after having been excersized on the freeway than before. I really have not had the "hot" start problem since I last used it on the freeway! Also the starter was used to gather up speed (shift up thru the gears) then I coasted as far as I could... Since there was little resistance (level ground) the starter did heat up but nothing like the full on starter stall out in low range truck rolled over on its side climbing out of a gully while trying to get a carbed rig restarted stuff my trail starter sees every time out!

Jason

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I started to notice that my 85 i just bought several months ago does the same thing.
The only problem is that when it does start cranking it wont wanna fire up or when it does fire up it runs like crap. BTW when it does start cranking i can smell gas which tells me the injectors are cycling, but no spark.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine does the same thing, I think that when you get the click click and no cranking the injectors or the cold start injector at least are being activated and cause some flooding. That would explain the gas smell, hard start and the running like crap. After a few revs it runs fine. I have yet to try this starter fix, but am very hopeful it will resolve the problem.

If it's not already there, this thread should be in the FAQ!

·
Registered
14,555 Posts
My 88 4runner was in a flood up to the steering wheel and would intermittently not start. I just did this mod and it starts every time. Thanks! DMG

·
Registered
17 Posts
anyone have a pic of where the starter relay is, or a better description than "passenger fender" i've looked at my truck and in haynes, but no luck.

thanks, Andrew

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
What year is your truck?

On my '89 3.0L 4runner it was in the middle of the fender, bolted to the outter wall (not laying down on the fender)

I don't have that truck to take a better look or a pic, and my current Toy is a first gen without the relay.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
On my '89 3.0L 4runner it was in the middle of the fender, bolted to the outter wall (not laying down on the fender)
My '86 22re was the same too. Metal capped relay all by itself. I believe it even says "starter relay" right on it. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
my truck is a 1990 with the 22re. I searched the pass. fender again, nothing other than the large fuse block.
I just put new contacts in my starter today, so i'm hoping to do this mod as well to make them last.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
My '86 22re was the same too. Metal capped relay all by itself. I believe it even says "starter relay" right on it. :D
Yup, it does say "Starter Relay" on it. Can't be much simpler than that:cool:

Andrew, try to follow the small wire up from the starter and see where it goes. Maybe Toyota relocated the relay on 3rd gens:confused:

·
Cranky Moderator
7,366 Posts
Big, your a fawking Genius!!!!! I was about ready to pull the starter on my 88 V6, and saw this pop back up. Hmmmmmm,,,,, lets check this out.

Ran a few jumpers to see if it was indeed a lack of current via the stock wiring, and sure enough, it was!! Your fix was all that is needed to quit having to park on a hill like a Volkswagen .....

Took about 15 minutes from start to finish!

Thanks dOOd!!!!!

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Glad to see people are still reading this and it helping fix their starting issues.

Maybe it should be added or linked in the FAQ??

Now what special rights do I get for helping a cranky mod?:D

·
Cranky Moderator
7,366 Posts
Now what special rights do I get for helping a cranky mod?:D
Ern, PM me your mailing address and I will send you a couple Collector Edition Pirate4x4.com Stickers.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts