Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I did the #4 wire straight to the + battery post.So far so good.Before running the stereo or not starting it right on the first turn of the key causes my 2wd 22re 91 Toyota not to start.Many times had to kick start it.
The starting relay is located on the driver panel and it says "starter relay".Finding the wire is tricky but I matched up the male diagram and went ahead by cutting and soldering the #4 wire to the battery.
I changed the key ignition,battery,checked starter contacts looked fine.
Thanks for the tech modification.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Under the hood. Mine was on the passenger fender ('89 V6 4Runner), but I guess other year & engines must of had them on the driverside.

Ern, PM me your mailing address and I will send you a couple Collector Edition Pirate4x4.com Stickers.
Done. Thanks Steve:beer:

What do the collectors edition stickers look like?:confused: Any chance of a Toy forum p4x4 sticker?? Those are pimp.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
I fixed the pic by uploading through pirate with my redstar so it won't disapear if my webspace disapears

(I gots a speel checker so I can sleep guder now too :D)

Did this as a trail fix on a friend's 4runner (22re) the otherday when her starter died in the middle of the trail.

·
Registered
19 Posts
my truck is a 1990 with the 22re. I searched the pass. fender again, nothing other than the large fuse block.
I just put new contacts in my starter today, so i'm hoping to do this mod as well to make them last.
1990 4Runner, 22RE same problem. Did you ever find it? There is the fuse box (don't think so, but its in the right place), and then a near the airbox (driver's side fender) 2"x2" black box that is marked with + sign so it looks like this [+] with two bigger wires coming out of it. Gonna try to trace the wire from the starter itself.

I linked this thread to yotatech. http://www.yotatech.com/f116/tech-tip-free-starter-fix-160948/

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
3rd gen's are most likely different. The relay might be in a different place or they might not have it. You'd have to check an FSM for your truck to see if the wiring diagram for the starter system is similar.

Trace the small solenoid wire bac from the starter to see where it goes if you can. This will goto the relay (if there is one).

Can you edit your post to include a link to this post? I'm not on yotatech, so the guys could post their questions here instead. Tell them to ask their questions here too and I'll do my best to answer them :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
3rd gen's are most likely different. The relay might be in a different place or they might not have it. You'd have to check an FSM for your truck to see if the wiring diagram for the starter system is similar.

Trace the small solenoid wire bac from the starter to see where it goes if you can. This will goto the relay (if there is one).

Can you edit your post to include a link to this post? I'm not on yotatech, so the guys could post their questions here instead. Tell them to ask their questions here too and I'll do my best to answer them :)
Oh hey, you're in Langley? I'm in N. Van. Cool.

I thought I did link it back, but I see I forgot, fixed it now. Great writeup by the way. The 1990 4Runner FSM says "The [starter] relay is located in the No. 1 junction box on the drivers side." That really isn't all that helpful. I went out and had a look in the engine bay (the write up says you used 2 feet of wire, I inferred the relay is near the battery). There is the fuse box (don't think so, but its in the right place), and then a near the airbox (driver's side fender) 2"x2" black box that is marked with + sign so it looks like this [+] with two bigger wires coming out of it, its black plastic an does not look like any relay I've ever seen. Today I took apart the glove box thinking it might be back there, there is only a 5 pin EFI or ECU relay (pulled it but the engine started up and ran badly like when you pull the EFI fuse). I looked in by the drivers' footwell fusebox and didn't see anything that looked big enough to be a starter relay..

I think i'm going to find Jimmy Hoffa in my truck before I find the relay. I haven't traced the wires off the starter yet as I have a York compressor obstructing any real view (changing the oil filter is a major pain now). I will pull the starter access cover in the p-side wheel well to see what I can later, but any info on the 1990 relay location would be appreciated.

·
Registered
14,711 Posts
as far as the female / male connector goes, which is female and which is male? the plastic body has male terminals inside the female body, and vice versa. i want to make sure i cut the right wire. nice thread btw, it will save me some $ and grief.:smokin:

here's what my question pertains to from post #1.
Female:
___
---------
| 1 | 2 |
---------
| 3 | 4 |
---------

Male:
___
---------
| 2 | 1 |
---------
| 4 | 3 |
---------
nevermind, i found the right wire. the "male plug" is the male connector plug, not the terminals. just wanted to make sure. now that that is done and working, i found that i need some new contacts for the solenoid. anyone have a good source? thanx.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
as far as the female / male connector goes, which is female and which is male? the plastic body has male terminals inside the female body, and vice versa. i want to make sure i cut the right wire. nice thread btw, it will save me some $ and grief.:smokin:

here's what my question pertains to from post #1.
Female:
___
---------
| 1 | 2 |
---------
| 3 | 4 |
---------

Male:
___
---------
| 2 | 1 |
---------
| 4 | 3 |
---------
nevermind, i found the right wire. the "male plug" is the male connector plug, not the terminals. just wanted to make sure. now that that is done and working, i found that i need some new contacts for the solenoid. anyone have a good source? thanx.
How about a spare starter?? Give me a call. I've got one for you if you need one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just did this today and so far it's started right up every time. After replacing three starters and contacts, battery cables, and grounds, hopefully this is it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Oh hey, you're in Langley? I'm in N. Van. Cool.

I thought I did link it back, but I see I forgot, fixed it now. Great writeup by the way. The 1990 4Runner FSM says "The [starter] relay is located in the No. 1 junction box on the drivers side." That really isn't all that helpful. I went out and had a look in the engine bay (the write up says you used 2 feet of wire, I inferred the relay is near the battery). There is the fuse box (don't think so, but its in the right place), and then a near the airbox (driver's side fender) 2"x2" black box that is marked with + sign so it looks like this [+] with two bigger wires coming out of it, its black plastic an does not look like any relay I've ever seen. Today I took apart the glove box thinking it might be back there, there is only a 5 pin EFI or ECU relay (pulled it but the engine started up and ran badly like when you pull the EFI fuse). I looked in by the drivers' footwell fusebox and didn't see anything that looked big enough to be a starter relay..

I think i'm going to find Jimmy Hoffa in my truck before I find the relay. I haven't traced the wires off the starter yet as I have a York compressor obstructing any real view (changing the oil filter is a major pain now). I will pull the starter access cover in the p-side wheel well to see what I can later, but any info on the 1990 relay location would be appreciated.
Yup, I'm in Langley. You on any of the local boards too? Sign up on Crawlin'BC if you haven't already and are looking for some good local wheeling:smokin:

that black box you found doesn't sound like it. Mine was clearly labeled with "Starter relay" right on it. kill your battery enough that it gets the the point that its makes the *click* but doesn't start and see if you can tell where the *click* is coming from.

Yup. Thats what I meant by male & female. The plug itself, not the wires inside.

Contacts are only a few bucks from toyota. I think they were only about $10 each back when I was hassling with mine before I did this mod.

I just did this today and so far it's started right up every time. After replacing three starters and contacts, battery cables, and grounds, hopefully this is it. Thanks
I did the sme to my old 4runner before I figured out this relay fix which solved the problem forever - I never had to touch the starter again as long as I owned it:)

is this it???
That doesn't look like it. Mine was a metal cased relay kinda gold/yellow color with "Starter Relay" labeled on it.

How many wires does it have going out of it? Get out your test light and see if it matches up with what the diagram says it should be doing when you try to start it (pull your coil wire or something so it doesn't actually start when you test it)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Big Ern, thanks a whole bunch for posting this, i was having the same issues, rebuilt the starter had a shop take a looksie, they couldnt figure it out then i tried what you did here...works perfect every time now thanks a bunch

·
Vendor
2,380 Posts
In my 1990 the relay is at the drivers feet, about a 1" cube, green relay marked starter relay. I have no clue how I'm going to get to it, its in a very nasty spot. Couldn't be more wedged into the kickpanel if it tried.

·
Registered
328 Posts
In my 1990 the relay is at the drivers feet, about a 1" cube, green relay marked starter relay. I have no clue how I'm going to get to it, its in a very nasty spot. Couldn't be more wedged into the kickpanel if it tried.
Did you ever figure this out for the third gen? It'd be nice if there was a solution since more and more 3rd gens are built over the oldies. I only post because I have a friend trying to figure out the same thing and I'm not doing the work to figure it out :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great! I will have to give this a shot. I'm glad this was bumped up. Just last night I was thinking how my truck was starting good then this morning I got the click click click again. I love this forum :D

41 - 60 of 79 Posts