Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a step towards trying to reverse the BS I propose we copy the LC section and have a tech week next week. All posts should be real tech. Let's all try and bring something useful to the BB and I will personally donate something cool to the best tech post.

This is the 109 about 30 minutes after the engine gave up. Maiden run, siezed up a Delco alternator which threw the fanbelt and overheated the engine. The idiot driving the thing (me) was looking at the temp gauge and it kept rising but he figured because I was towing some weight it was just working a little hard. Idiot. Damage was a belt, lots of cooked gaskets, and my pride.

Dragged it home behind a borrowed Rangie and tore half the engine apart, only to try and reinvent the wheel. Started thinking about changing the rad and started on the engine cage, plus reworked the intake system for a cleaner install. Still working on it, have only put about 300 miles on it since. Plus it still needs paint bad.

The mudflaps are an Ontario thing. It is still way too tall, waiting for the spring to settle due to wheeling. I also am re-centering some disco steel wheels for the 325/85R16 XMLs which will be replacing the 900R16s. That's 39" dia. Still running a coiler front axle with a home made high steer arm which I don't like. Working on the Eaton front as well, slowly coming together, will be cut down Eaton shafts with 30 spline longfields, Aisin hubs and Timm's disc brake kit.

I'm going to try and put together a post combining my eaton information, with some pics. I've learned a lot about them and I think that they are the cheapest and best mod for the average coiler or leafer guy that wants meat in the back. I may also document the engine cage and underhood, although it's kind of a mess but I am working on it.

What are you going to do?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Hey Handbuilt,

Tried to PM you but your box is full.

You're in Nova Scotia, no? I'm heading that way next weekend for a few days and will be coming back through the first week in August heading back home. Newfoundland and Labrador in the weeks between. Will the truck be up and running by then? I'd like to see it. I'm taking the Series up there to have a look around. Feel like getting together for a beer or two?

Drop me a pm when you get a chance.

jim

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
HEI Update

I chucked up the brand new HEI distributor and started turning it down to fit the sleeve I made. Hope to have it to my TIG welding neighbor by tomorrow afternoon and in the truck shortly thereafter. Updates and pics to come.

Also, as a result of my success in the mud last week, I'll be posting up my ignition/distributor waterproofing process. It isn't a practical business propostion so I'll publicly disclose my findings.

Peace,
PT

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I made a front bumper air tank for the OBA system a few weeks ago...Is that tech enough? The compressor was a freebie from a Cadillac Catera we towed in a while back. It's plumbed through a limit switch that cuts in at 80lbs and out at 100lbs.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
PTSchram said:
Last one for now.

Off to the welder!
That distributor looks like an adult toy sticking that high up from the engine. Tuck your pride boy.

JP

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Thanks for the tech guys! :rolleyes: I don't really care what it looks like if it works, keeps my truck from dying when it gets wet and doesn't cost $700.

Just for that, I won't post my solution for the damned starter mounting bolts :flipoff2:

You try to improve the tech content by posting a real project nearing completion (and we all know how rare that is for me) and all you get is this...

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
PTSchram said:
No, it's an aerial bomb.
How about a closer shot?

Are there holes in the body just ahead of the fins?

It sure looks an awfull like either a 122mm or 155mm russian mortar round.

Bombs look more like this

Or this:

Pete

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
As it came from the 122nd tactical fighter wing, I feel pretty confident it is an aerial bomb :flipoff2:

There used to be a real pretty chromed 4.2" mortar round in the basement, it had no fins at all. It got sold in the Old Man's auction along with the rest of my childhood treasures.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
PTSchram said:
As it came from the 122nd tactical fighter wing, I feel pretty confident it is an aerial bomb :flipoff2:
Ok, ok :D

Just thats the smallest bomb I have ever seen.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
DooDoo Brown said:
Get a closer shot of it... what it is not, an 81 US or 82 russian mortor...
Agreed, the Russian 82 has 5 pairs of fins, for 10 total. They are not that long either.

This is an 82mm that had a bad fuze. Landed nose down on a 4" thick concrete pad. Went throught it no problem.

The big clue will be if there are holes in the base just ahead of the fins, you can just see them here.
The charges go around the base of the round, between fin and body. The holes are how the flash from the ignitor get to the cheese charges.

This one broke up on impact. Closer view of the flash holes. Also the leatherman gives you an idea of the size.

Pete

·
Registered
278 Posts
handbuilt, can you do a write up w/ some MORE PICS on your 5.9 swap...some of the problems, fixes, things you would change. I know there are some other post/threads on it...it would be nice to hi-light everything now that it is done. Thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts