Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, im trying to decide what to do. My 4.0 and 999 are still going for now, but eventually they will go out. I want to throw a d300 on and clock it flat so i can use a flat skid...the problem is, whenever my engine and tranny go out, im going to swap something else in. i cant decide if i want to go 5.2 or 5.9 chrysler or 5.0, 350 chevy, etc...or what tranny i want to use for each. that can be decided later except that i will probably have to cut some of my floor out to clock the d300 up....if i do that, and then do an engine/tranny swap, the new ones probably wont be the same length, so the 300 wont fit in the same pocket. is this understandable? anyone have any ideas what to do? i dont want to wait until my engine swap for the 300, b/c i have the axles and other stuff and it might be a while before the 4.0 dies....idea???? thanks

- Jake

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Sure, I'm a mind reader, I get it.

You are going from driver drop to passenger drop axles on a YJ. You want more motor, but can't afford the coin just yet.

I don't know spit about automatics or putting a D300 in a YJ, but...

Have you considered waiting to clock the 300 until you swap the rest of the drivetrain?

On a CJ, you can clock the D300 with a 1" body lift and no cutting, which is what I'm doing right now. Well actually, as soon as I finish helicoiling the stupid stripped threads in the bellhousing...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Personally I'd keep the 4.0 and 999. Both should last close to forever if you maintain them well. Both will work just fine for everything but full throttle thrashings. Why spend the $$$ and deal with all the headaches that come with a swap. I'd spend my $$$ and time on axles, suspention, and xfercase. With the $$$ you save by keeping the current engine and tranny, you could easily upgrade to an ATLAS. The reliability of the stock 4.0 and 999 should not be messed with. Just my opinion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts