Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like everyones got an opinion on Lower 2, some say its super hard-core, some say its a walk. So, with a SAS'ed rig, locked front & rear, on 35" MTR's, is lower 2 worth trying, or would it be a strap-fest?

Yeah, I know anyone can try anything :flipoff2: But some trails actually REQUIRE a certian amount of rubber to make, you know what I mean. Just curious on ya'lls thoughs on lower 2 right now-PhattieD

·
Registered
320 Posts
what kind of wheelbase?

-Rob

·
Registered
332 Posts
I say do able. Depends on how muddy it is though. I've never been there but i know some guys that went and i remember them saying they did upper and lower 2. The guy that i know did it has a Wrangler locked front and rear with 35" BFG MT's. Goodluck

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I tried Lower 2 on 33x9.50's locked both ends with a TJ
Back in 98. But the trail has changed since then.

too many 42's and 48's running it and rippin big fawking holes.

But as long as you hit it... youll be fine.

·
Registered
591 Posts
We ran it a week before Thanksgiving, and it isn't like it used to be. Way easier now, the big rock is moved to the side. I ran it twice :flipoff2: within 10-15 minutes. It took longer to drive down the trail to get back to the beginning :D .
Some in our group did it on 35's with little effort. If it's wet and greasy, you may have a tough time.
[/done bragging]
Ricky...seeya...

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The whole trail is a 35 inch tire trail except the big rock, but its moved now so? I geuss people with smaller tires were whining about not being able to do it so somebody "fixed" it. I done it 2 dixie runs ago in the pouring rain. Me and a buddy, both 39 tsl's. Our winches got a good work out at the top. The good ole days :flipoff2:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Saw a guy in a Comache walk it no problem, except 1ft of winching at a the big rock. This was September a year ago and he was locked with stock axles and 35" boggers.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sweet, sounds like I'll git'er done, no problem. Just didn't want to be the total @$$ who's clearly on the wrong trail being winched over everything. :D

Seems like when we wheel around here, someone with open diffs always shows up for the hard trail :rolleyes:

·
KY Mtn Crawler
2,916 Posts
Doable

I did it on 35" boggers twice this year....
once at ecbr very wet.....some rocks had to be stacked....
I made the big rock without the least bit of trouble though...
I also did it at fall crawl this past October.... and crawled up every bit of it without any trouble.... The first place that water usually is at was completely dry....
I'd say it is doable .....of course this time of year could even have ICE....I also did slick rock on 35's too...it was gooey this past Oct.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Saw a guy in a Comache walk it no problem, except 1ft of winching at a the big rock. This was September a year ago and he was locked with stock axles and 35" boggers.
witnessed that too... here's the only spot he winched, just enough to get the rear tires up.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I did it 2 years ago on 35s without pulling the cable....had to use some excessive force on the go-go peddle though

·
Registered
555 Posts
Just one question, why did they move the rock? I know they need to maintain the trails but if they keep fixing everything I can quit working on the Jeep and take my wifes Passport.

James

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Did it in a Scout on 33's and a spring-over back in '98 at the Smokey Mtn Venture. Looks like it has gotten a little worse, though.

·
Registered
351 Posts
2 factors, driver and weather. i have seen 33's make it dry. i have seen the biggest tires denyed in the wet. i have also seen 35's make it up in damp conditions, that guy was on a mission only backed up once. but then again i have seen guys on 38's geting hung up when it was as dusty as that last video posted. the trail has changed alot in the past 4 years, but i can't see another big change coming except for the inside line at the U turn. when those rocks come loose, it'll be a highway. this time next year upper 2 is going to be THE tellico trail, put that in your book

1 - 20 of 28 Posts