Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 201 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
maybe this is a dumb question, but what exactly do we do for the rally to help?
Not a dumb question at all. You do what most of us do everyday. Just visit here on May 7th between 4-9 Eastern Standard Time. There will be a thread set up specifically for the Tellico Rally. Click on the thread and post pictures, stories and positive thoughts about the Tellico OHV and why you want to prevent any closure to the area.

It can be as simple as a picture of you and your family in the rig riding on trail 4 with a short "My family loves Tellico and we want our children to have the opportunity to ride in the future. Please keep Tellico open."

That's all it takes.

·
16,230 Posts
maybe this is a dumb question, but what exactly do we do for the rally to help?
another thing you can do....that I BEG you to do:

Is get the word out to as many people as possible. E-mail all your friends, post on bulletin boards, talk to people...

Once we get the press release done it will be easier becuase you will have something to post, until then, just get the word out.

STRESS to people that the time has come for the ENTIRE OHV community to all come together to fight for our trails. Most people ONLY fight for thier backyards. We cannot do that anymore. Comments from people who have NEVER been to Tellico (me included) weigh just as much as a regular on those trails.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Im not quite sure exactly what you are after, but here goes anyhow.

I started going to Tellico in the mid 90s although I had know about it as early as back around 75 or 76 when I first began driving. I knew people who were 4 wheeling at Tellico back then, but I never had a rig back then so I didnt go. I have been there many times, and have done the annual cleanups and the SFWDA workdays several times over the years, and have noticed how each time there were more 4X4 folks and fewer trout folks volunteering. Also, the trash on the trails has diminished tremendously.

I have seen the hard work put into Tellico by the SFWDA guys, especially Gunnar Byrd and his construction company.

I believe that closing or restricting the Tellico OHV area is an effort thats going to backfire on those who want it to happen. The people who go to Tellico to wheel are gonna wheel somewhere, and I think we are going to have some serious land conflicts as a result of closure of the OHV area.

Its my National Forest, too, and I should have a say in how its used. The National Forests are not supposed to be a wilderness, they are supposed to be an agricultural asset to be used by the Nation. That why the USFS is under the Dept of Agriculture, instead of the Dept of Interior like the Park Service. The USFS website states "The Forest Service manages public lands in national forests ..." Note that it said PUBLIC LANDS, not private, limited access, restricted to certain groups etc.

Its my national forest, too.

·
Premium Member
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

I started going to Tellico in the mid 90s although I had know about it as early as back around 75 or 76 when I first began driving. I knew people who were 4 wheeling at Tellico back then, but I never had a rig back then so I didnt go. I have been there many times, and have done the annual cleanups and the SFWDA workdays several times over the years, and have noticed how each time there were more 4X4 folks and fewer trout folks volunteering. Also, the trash on the trails has diminished tremendously.

I have seen the hard work put into Tellico by the SFWDA guys, especially Gunnar Byrd and his construction company.

I believe that closing or restricting the Tellico OHV area is an effort thats going to backfire on those who want it to happen. The people who go to Tellico to wheel are gonna wheel somewhere, and I think we are going to have some serious land conflicts as a result of closure of the OHV area.

Its my National Forest, too, and I should have a say in how its used. The National Forests are not supposed to be a wilderness, they are supposed to be an agricultural asset to be used by the Nation. That why the USFS is under the Dept of Agriculture, instead of the Dept of Interior like the Park Service. The USFS website states "The Forest Service manages public lands in national forests ..." Note that it said PUBLIC LANDS, not private, limited access, restricted to certain groups etc.

Its my national forest, too.

That's exactly what we're looking for. Please save this and post it on May 7th from 4-9 PM Eastern Standard Time... but I guess that would be more like 3-8 PM CST :D

·
Premium Member
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have some HUGE news but I'm going to sit on it for a little while and make you wait for it. I will give you a hint though...

The vendors on this board are stepping it up and fully gettin' it!!!

·
16,230 Posts

You can get an idea from the JV rally thread here:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=664629

We want pictures, stories, show how your FAMILY recreates in Tellico!

The goal is to show the powers that be how important Tellico is to the OHV community.

Remember that this thread will last for YEARS as a testament to how important the area is to us.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Tad. You have a message!
You are more than welcome Nick.

Is there a site that accepts funds?
I'd like to do something as a private party beyond what TT's can provide.

Used to be the saying that "as CA goes, so does the rest" for quite some time we have been fighting the same battles in different locations.
I think it's time to make a dent, a big one.

For the most part I am an FSJ specific vendor, although I love to dabble.

I encourage all vendors to step up and support the cause.
At my age I'll probably never see Tellico.
I hope your children do and I hope their children do also.

·
Premium Member
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Good work. I know I'll miss a few, so thank you for posting it up. Here's some more:

cumberlandoffroad.com - email
damnlocals.com
et4wd.org
rattlerock.org - email
rocksolid.itgo.com - email
sceniccity4wd.com - email
smokymtntrailriders.org - email
stlca.org - email
tlca.org - email
traxxinmotion.org - email
xtreme4x4.net

I've began to work with vedors/sponsors so if everyone could keep spreading the word I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Whats up McCracken?! Well done on this one. I posted up on ColoradoK5 and am about to on CarolinaK5... You have covered most of the other boards that I visit.
Gabe

And for good measure, The shelf at the top of slickrock, I miss it.

21 - 40 of 201 Posts