Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i need to get an aftermarket temp gauge for my sammy since my stock one has gone haywire. i searched around and found that you can tap the hole in the intake but im not sure what size. ive heard 1/4" npt and 1/8" npt. so which one is it? and what does the thing look like on an aftermarket temp guage, is it similar to the stock one that goes into the intake? thanks a bunch

·
Registered
353 Posts
when I bought my most recent sammy it had an aftermarket temp gauge installed on it. The sensor for it was installed in a different spot than the stock temp sensor so both could be used. The thing is that for some reason the aftermarket one never worked even though it appeared to be installed correctly. I don't know what kind of threads it used though but it was only a little bit bigger than the stock one. Sorry if this isn't much help. It doesn't look hard to do though, I think mine uses an adapter of some sort to mate from the smaller size hole to the larder size senor for the gauge, so on that note I'm not sure that its totally necessary to even tap the manifold. If I had a red star I would just post a picture.

hopefully you can take something from this

·
turd-polish-a-go-go
1,073 Posts
1/4 npt is the minimum with most aftermarket gauges. you can thread a tee into the water jacket at any plug port if you need to add one. i just got a real cheap temp/analog oil pressure/ammeter combo at harbor freight that came with a slew of adapters for ten bucks on sale...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts