Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya know, someone needs to make a template for trimmin fenders. Anyone made some? Seems to me there might be a market for something like that....

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i could pattern some off of the trimming done on the white 88, or i could just point to the link in my sig where there are nice pics of each fenderwell :D

plus i dunno if you want to trim as much as i.

and BTW, its not that hard to come up with a good cutting line.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I have a diagram of the trimming I did to fit 34's I can post later tonight. I went with the subtle approach, if that is what you are after.

-Jeff

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JSBriggs said:
I have a diagram of the trimming I did to fit 34's I can post later tonight. I went with the subtle approach, if that is what you are after.

-Jeff
yes, subtle is good. There is afterall a starbucks just a block from my house, and I wouldn't want to ruin my image there

:flipoff2:
j

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
9V said:
i could pattern some off of the trimming done on the white 88, or i could just point to the link in my sig where there are nice pics of each fenderwell :D

plus i dunno if you want to trim as much as i.

and BTW, its not that hard to come up with a good cutting line.
You miss the point my young padawan learner. I am thinking money. You know what you pay a mortgage (or two) with.... :flipoff2:

Seriously, think about it. A wooden or metal clamp on guide for specific tire sizes. Just add dremel and go.... Not everyone has a real steady hand (I am thinking bolt on types) so it would be a true leap for them to cut free hand.

I thought you might jump at that after your little article, which by the way was very enterprising of you. (not slamming, actually complimenting)

j

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
A piece of string held at the hub with a overhead market works well to draw an arc:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
whats a padawan? :flipoff2:

thanks for the complements on the article, will roeder said it sounded like john lee wrote it :eek: :D

i understand what youre saying now, initially i thought you were asking about for your own personal use so i had to rag on you for not being "man enough" to make an original cut :D

·
Registered
1,774 Posts

I started by measuring in 1" on each of the panels and then created an arc with masking tape to flow into the wheel arch. Masking tape works well as it stays put while you cut. After cutting, I reformed the lip by bending a further 1/2" of the fender. This was done to give strength back to the panel, as well as giving it a cleaner look (very important if you wife is to ever drive the truck again) I used a sazall, but if I were to do it over I wouild use an air saw, as they offer more control.

-Jeff

·
Registered
422 Posts
I just freehand drew the lines to cutout by resting my hand on the existing fender edge and moving along it. It produced very good results. I removed 2" or so along the whole radius and it was good enough for some 35" MTRs. Maybe Big Green will tell you how it all worked out.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If I sold my pattern and method I would be bankrupt from refunds within a week:D

Air hacksaw and a hammer to fold the cut edge over! At which point the previous owners repaint and bog job kinda fell off:rolleyes:

Its all covered up by flares - and by the time you get close enough to see it - a whole range of other bodge jobs are there to distract the eye....:D

The tyres don't foul on the panels though......

The instructions would go something like:

"1. Estimate where you think the panel should be cut by standing back and closing one eye [note make sure you have the hacksaw all ready revved up in your hand so you don't lose momentum].
2. Mark the point with a permanent marker and draw and approximation of a curve - this way if you have to change your mind half way - all your friends can see where you were gonna cut!
3. Cut.
4. Bodge LTD take no responsibility for anything they tell you to do....."

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I think I basically cut 2" above the flared portion of the stock fenders. The front and back got a little more. Particularly in the rear tire wells. Then go ramp slowly and mark what might be still hitting.

BTW the cutting guide idea is a pretty good one judging the amount of RRC that are getting 35's lately.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts