Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a teralow 4:1 np231 kit off one of my buddies for dirt cheap. Installed and but it keeps popping out of 4LO. Checked everything. Pads on both forks are in good condition. It seems that the range fork and mode fork bind in the range sector. I put it back in the stock front half and everything shifts smooth. Would a teraflex 2LO kit fix this problem. Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
check the main shaft for play back and forth. Mine did that many years ago, I think it ended up being a C-clip?? Memories a little fuzzy that was a long time ago.

·
Mayor of Flat Rock
696 Posts
If you think you have TC shifting problems now, put in a 2Lo kit and it will only get worse. I took mine out and gave it away.

I had the 4Lo kit for several years. It’s a pretty good option as long as you keep the rpms down and don’t burn the little needle bearings/spot welds up. Read The Instructions. Mine shifted fine.

I assume you have the OEM TC shifting hardware. If you also have a lift, its easy for the hardware to get misaligned between the tranny tunnel and the TC. I spent a lot of time getting the hardware lined back up after my lift.

Also, you may need to adjust the length of the little shifting rods to make sure the TC is being shifted to be fully engaged. Pull the rods off the TC shifter arms, shift the TC by hand and see if the rod ends still line up with the holes in the shifter arms.

Are you sure the shifter handle can move to fully engage the TC. Seems like I had to file on mine a little to make it work correctly. I have an atlas in there now.

Are you sure you got the right 4Lo kit? Terra Flex makes several versions.

Its been a long time since I had mine; my brain is also fuzzy on some of the details.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought a TeraLow 4:1 gear set from a friend and had a similar issue with it popping out of low range. I ended up having to get a new shifter rail kit with deeper detent pockets from Novak; it also came with new springs and shims for the spring pockets. 2 years later and I haven't had it pop out since. Dana 300 twin-sticked.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well my buddy came over and we gutted the tcase. Had a busted snap ring on the input shaft. So the planetary pushed back causing it to not engage in gear right. Thanks for all of the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts