Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so how do I go about seeing if the ECM is really working nd how would I know if the EGR is stuck open?

It's a '93 K1500 w/ 305TBI, it's not getting any fuel, has plenty of spark. The fuel pump does not 'hum' when I turn the key. No trouble codes being displayed.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
How long did you crank it over for? If the fuel pump relay is bad, there is a failsafe, when you build up oil pressure from cranking, the pump will get power, and it will start (at least on all the TBIs I've worked with). If you haven't tried it yet, try cranking for 20-30 seconds.

IIRC, there is a test terminal on the plug for the fuel pump relay, but I don't recall how its used. You could disconnect the fuel pump wire near the tank (should be a 2-prong weather pac), and see if one of them has power for the first two seconds after the key is turned to "on". If yes, then the pump (or the wire from the connector to the tank) is toast.

Pete

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
erikrs301 said:
The fuel pump does not 'hum' when I turn the key. No trouble codes being displayed.
Have you checked the fuel pump? If you've got lots of spark, everything SEEMS to be working normal, just no fuel, get a pump.

No hum, usually means no pump.

KP

·
Registered
83 Posts
The egr probly would not cause a no start on a tbi engine. you can test it by removing it turring it upside down,add water, and watch if the water leaks past the pintal valve its bad. Once you get the rig runing you can test it by lifting up on the diaphram with your fingers and the engine should bog or stall. As for the no fule pump hum. turn the key on, the pump sholud run for 3 seconds. If it dose not test the bypass as stated above or test for power at the pump but it will only show power for 3 seconds after each key cycle. you should have a ground, a 3 sec power , and a constant low amp power for your sending unit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.