Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Push the damn thing outside and get a carport.... then you can fully utilize your garage.:grinpimp:

That's what I have been doing for years... besides, mine wont fit through the garage door anymore.:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really wouldn't mind doing this outside, but I have a cranky neighbor across the street. You know, the kind who is retired and has nothing better to do than to stir up trouble. He stood in his driveway and watched me move the scout into the garage, and the trailer back into the driveway.

I was going to run a 4.3, but fuck it, I like the sound of a v-8. Besides, if there is the possibility of moving up to a small block, why not do it the first time?

Hopefully this won't take forever.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Push the damn thing outside and get a carport.... then you can fully utilize your garage.:grinpimp:

That's what I have been doing for years... besides, mine wont fit through the garage door anymore.:flipoff2:
I'm renting a 1400sq ft shop.....for $300 a month :flipoff2:

Fully insulated :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I tried to rent some space in the old IH plant. There was 50 amp service, 220, and a gantry crane I could have used. I think it was 310 or something like that. They turned me down. :(

Days two and three
I got the motor out and the frame cleaned up, then I yanked the dash and all the wiring. I want to build a new dash and rewire the whole thing.

The guy who gives me guitar lessons is in a band, so I went to see them play Saturday night. There are some videos of them on youtube, but the vids suck compared to the live show. link

Towed it to a carwash and hosed it out. Cleaned the garage, moved stuff around.

Got my wire harness.

Took it easy in the afternoon, looking for TPI stuff on the web.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
When I tbi'd my SII it wasn't bad, I had an AFI harness and everything was labeled. That mess pictured above is from an '87 Firebird. It looks like I have an engine harness, a front end harness (headlights, turn signals, etc) and maybe a dash harness. I'll probably use some of the front end harness since I yanked all the stock wiring.

Found chevythunder.com, seems pretty good so far for info on the motor.

I may have some issues with the intake plumbing, since this is set up originally with MAF, and I guess it is tuned to the intake hose.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Finally got my motor to the house.

Good thing there are anchor points built in.

The next couple days I'm going to make a bit more room in the garage, get a new jack for the hoist, and get the trans out of storage so I can bolt everything together and mock it up this weekend.

I'm happy to be back working on it.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Couldn't wait.

Just the motor.

It can sit a lot lower, 4 or 5 inches, but I have to cut the front body mount out. I have been thinking of cutting out the inner fenders and adding some tube to hang the sheet metal and radiator from. It needs tube anyway, the frame flexes enough to let the doors flop open.

I'm also thinking about headers, I'm going to need some xtra room on the sides and I don't want to cut the firewall if I don't have to.

·
Registered
740 Posts
you got more room in there than I do in mine, but I have a Traveler stuffed in there at the moment.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I had to cut the fire wall in my 800 to get the 350 to fit but not by much. Looks good nice motor choice btw......

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you center the motor and trans in the frame? I could do it without cutting if I offset everything to the passenger side, but I don't want to do that.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Avoid headers if you can.
I can give you a P/N for a cross over pipe we use on FJ40's if you want.

keep up the good work....

john

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Did you center the motor and trans in the frame? I could do it without cutting if I offset everything to the passenger side, but I don't want to do that.
Mine is center with the frame down 4'' and back 2'' from the 304 IH. I have pix somewhere that I'll dig up if you want.........

1 - 20 of 62 Posts