Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well...its finally started. 5000 sq ft total space. 2500 sq ft will be for my apartment and shop. The apartment is 750 sq ft. The shop will be heated and cooled. There will be 2 twin post lifts. I'm still tweaking the layout of the apartment/mancave. The layout of the shop is still up in the air. I'm still trying to finalize placement of the doors and lifts. Any advice is more than welcome!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would like to post up the plans for the shop and the apartment. ANy advice on how to post adobe acrobat files???

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,940 Posts
Host them somewhere and post a link, or open the .pdf and take a screenshot and attach the screenshot.

Sounds cool :smokin:

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I would put the shitters/kitchen, etc, closer to the shop.
2 reasons,
1) would keep all the "utilities" closer and easier to work with, ie, water, electric, hvac stuff. You could have all hvac stuff in the "shop space" to save home space, and all that would be closer and not need to make "runs" as far.
2) you (and others) will not be stomping thru the whole house with dirty/greasy shoes, to take a shit.
Quick question, are you planning on small office at both shop entry doors?
I have something similar and love it!
The thing I like about yours is it appears all single level, my "apartment" is 2 story, I'm 51 and I'm going to start hating the stairs.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's another shot of just the shop and apartment itself. There is a dedicated bathroom for the shop, and a mudroom as an entry to the apartment. Ky scrambled....how about some suggestions on where to put the beer fridge:flipoff2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only changes I know of right now are:
1)water heater is moving upstairs
2)rollup door is going to either 14wx12h or even 16wx12h
3)a 7 ft door is going to be added in the back wall, probably at the bottom of the stairs, for access to gravel storage behind the shop.
4)adding a shop wash basin
5)possibly measuring for a stackable washer and dryer and shrinking the laundry room to fit

I'm going to start off with one lift about 13 feet from the back wall inline with the rollup door, and possible put another beside it later.

Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick question, are you planning on small office at both shop entry doors?
I have something similar and love it!
We are building to accomodate offices at the other 2 doors, but they won't be put in yet. The 2 other units are freestanding with their own water and electrical panels.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Prevailing winds?

Here, Central Texas, winds are 95% of the time North (cold air) or from the South (warm air). Two 10' x 12' high roll up doors on the sides let that wind come down through through the shop.

Apartment.... I'd flip the bed/closet around. Make the area up front more of a living room, the back the kitchen & bedroom. Actually living area/kitchen/then bedroom in the back. There will be a day when your wife/girlfriend will be pissed if you open the door and she doesn't have makeup on. :flipoff2: Hence bed out of sight. In the kitchen area... bacon grease, yech. My days of small apartments/studio are long gone, but you do not want anyone at the front door seeing the bedroom.

·
Registered
247 Posts
My days of small apartments/studio are long gone, but you do not want anyone at the front door seeing the bedroom.
agreed, take this from a guy currently living in a studio with a wife. The bed needs to remain hidden. One way or another it will get that way. :p

·
Premium Member
14,731 Posts
My first thought was all that room and that TINY STUDIO apartment, that is going to get OLD FAST.

The smallest apartment I lived in was 600sqft and it was not bad at all. The kitchen, bedroom, and living room were all separate... hell I had full-size washer and dryer in the unit too, walk in closet, coat closet, and a closet with shelves. The bathroom was smaller than I would have liked but other than that I had my office setup in back of living room even, and it was manageable and no complaints the 1 year I lived there. We moved to get a dog, that was it, and then we bought a place.

I would seriously expand the apartment, change the layout and make 'rooms'. Since yo have offices separate you really only need the bedroom private, and the dining area and living can be one big great room.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Two things I should have mentioned and made clear.

1)Ignore the fact that the shop is 5000sq ft. The actual available work space is only 2500 and 750 of that is what I mistakenly called the apartment.......the correct term shall be mancave:D
2)For those that have mentioned the girlfriend's makeup.....try to think of the place from a man's perspective, if you can:flipoff2: Imagine what would be the best layout for the weekends with your buddies around, grilling burgers out front and welding cages in the shop.

I will try to get some pics before Christmas.....the forms for the concrete are laid out with the plumbing roughed in. The actual pour has been moved to Monday due to the possiblility of rain.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Prevailing winds?

Here, Central Texas, winds are 95% of the time North (cold air) or from the South (warm air). Two 10' x 12' high roll up doors on the sides let that wind come down through through the shop.

Apartment.... I'd flip the bed/closet around. Make the area up front more of a living room, the back the kitchen & bedroom. Actually living area/kitchen/then bedroom in the back. There will be a day when your wife/girlfriend will be pissed if you open the door and she doesn't have makeup on. :flipoff2: Hence bed out of sight. In the kitchen area... bacon grease, yech. My days of small apartments/studio are long gone, but you do not want anyone at the front door seeing the bedroom.

Not sure if you are aware of housing/residential vs comercial laws in Texas, but if you have a comercial building in a comercial zone you can not "live there"...but its semantics....you CAN have a living space there, it just can't be considered "permanent residence". So I am also suggesting you can not see the bedroom from the front door. I know there are plenty of people that manage storage places and live onsight so it usually isn't a problem for the "local" public...but just in case you want to minimize your visual clues. Just some of my usual unwanted opinions. I actually lived out of my Motorcycle shop in Houston for a few years so I am definitely on your side. I am building a similar arrangement but it is in the county outside of city limits, and it is not going to be used for a business, just my play toys. Good luck with your venture! :smokin:

Oh yeah one more thing, if you can afford two rollup doors I would go with two 12 foot wide doors rather than one wide door, because of two reasons: #1 the smaller width doors will be easier to roll up and down and if one comes off track it is easier to fix. #2 it is a bitch to move around once you are inside unless you have wheel dollies to move shit. So basically if you have two doors you line up your lifts with the doors at the back wall leaving enough space for workbenches and walking space. space the doors out about 5' between them so you have working space between doors if you decide to put auto garage door openers later on. I wish I had gone with 14' tall doors, you may not ever have to worry about this but I bought a toy hauler to be able to haul my 4-wheeler and everything when I go wheeling...wife/girlfriend always wants to take the 4-wheeler to the shower or bathroom...I went with 12x12 rollup doors and my toyhauler is 13' tall...sux cuz when I am not using the space or the toyhauler I like to keep it out of the weather and now I have to build an addition to the back of my shop to accomodate the trailer. Anyway I have rambled on way too long...have fun.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts