Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From all the writeups I've read, a dana 300 will bolt to a 727 with no mods. This is what I decided to go with in my 79 cj5. So I get a 727 from a 81' wagoneer, and a dana 300 from a cj 7, and when i go to put them together, the bolt pattern is the same and all, but the output shaft on the 727 is too small in diameter for the input on the dana 300. It just wallows around inside of the dana 300's input. I didnt read anywhere you needed a new output shaft for the 727. Anyone done this combo, or have any info on replacing the tailshaft on a 727? thanks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mine bolted right up-

guess I'm no help.:smokin:

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Check the spline count on your D300 and the 727. Both should be 23 spline. If your D300 is not 23, I may be interested in taking it off your hands.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It wasnt actually my dana 300, I just borrowed it to see if it would bolt up to my 727. It was being used by a cj 7 with a 350 and a 465 4 speed tranny. I dont think he had to change the 300 to fit the 465, just an adapter. Ill have to go back to the shop to count the splines for sure.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Scout 300 is a short shaft version. It has a different bolt pattern, and uses a bull gear that attaches to the transmission, as opposed to CJ D300s that have an input shaft with retainer.

Im guessing the D300 he used to test fit had a different input shaft

·
Registered
119 Posts
d 300 bolts right up to 727 but watch the size of your drive shaft it may hit the pan. but if you have enough lift it will clear. I already know this my pan has a dent from the shaft tube was hitting.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
cbassmnm said:
It wasnt actually my dana 300, I just borrowed it to see if it would bolt up to my 727. It was being used by a cj 7 with a 350 and a 465 4 speed tranny. I dont think he had to change the 300 to fit the 465, just an adapter. Ill have to go back to the shop to count the splines for sure.
Could have a 32 spline input on the D300.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
i bolted up a '80 CJ d300 to an amc 727. good short package, but i had to grind the piss out of the corner of the tranny pan to clear a cv shaft. it is on, it works, no issues, just lots of grinding.

this is running SOA waggy springs pushed up to the frame edge, 2" lift shackles and a dodge D60.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm just finishing my 727/300 swap on my 79 Cj7. I have to make a new skid as ours with the t150 doesn't align with the raise in the skid. That is, the mount on the 727 is much further back than the t150 mount. Besides, you'll have to cut the stock skid to have the front driveshaft pass through. As I'm sure you already know you'll need atleast 4" of lift to clear the tran pan mentioned before. But for you (unless the rear axle is pushed back) you'll have some serious driveshaft problems to address with a cj5. I know my rear shaft has to be shortened atleast 6" and I'll need a CV.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
JEEPRZ said:
Scout 300 is a short shaft version. It has a different bolt pattern, and uses a bull gear that attaches to the transmission, as opposed to CJ D300s that have an input shaft with retainer.

Im guessing the D300 he used to test fit had a different input shaft
The scout D300 is a texas pattern just like a Jeep D20

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
If hes running a 465 the input is different. he 465 is the same as my sm420 and is much larger then the standard input.

If he still has his orginal input I might be intereted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts