Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hooking up my Art Carr and got to thinking about the kickdown cable. I have installed a transgo shift kit in the 727 that will hold or shift up/down to 1st and 2nd at any rpm, but will shift automatically in drive. My rig will be driven 90/10 in favor of the trail.

Do I really need the kickdown cable?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it adjusts the pressure as well as the kick down.
I guess I really don't understand its purpose then. I thought it was to trigger a downshift in a load condition. But I don't get the pressure part.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Hey OldScout, I don't have a manual. Would it be possible for you to take pictures of the remaining pages and post them for me?

:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Hayraker said:
Hey OldScout, I don't have a manual. Would it be possible for you to take pictures of the remaining pages and post them for me?

:flipoff2: :flipoff2:
noyoucheapsuck:flipoff2:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why not sit down and read your shop manual?
Thanks Old Scoot for that fine read :flipoff2: but it really doesn't tell me much about the pressure other than it can be adjusted.

Being the slush box neophyte that I am, I am trying to uderstand the correlation of the throttle to the transmission. It would seem that with a full manual throttle body ( mine is almost) that I could shift this thing manually and it should not matter what the throttle is doing. If the engine is lugging when I hit the gas, I would downshift it just like a manual. Isn't that what the cable triggers , a downshift under load at lower rpms? Or is there more to it that I am missing. :confused:

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
BigHG said:

Thanks Old Scoot for that fine read :flipoff2: but it really doesn't tell me much about the pressure other than it can be adjusted.

Being the slush box neophyte that I am, I am trying to uderstand the correlation of the throttle to the transmission. It would seem that with a full manual throttle body ( mine is almost) that I could shift this thing manually and it should not matter what the throttle is doing. If the engine is lugging when I hit the gas, I would downshift it just like a manual. Isn't that what the cable triggers , a downshift under load at lower rpms? Or is there more to it that I am missing. :confused:
Are you really that cluesless? It tells you that the pressure valve works off of the movement of the kickdown lever! :rolleyes:

A full manual valve body is a racing mod and will ware out stock clutches 2x as fast. They run at full pressure all the time.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
it controls line presure, difrent gear difrent clutches, bands applyed all requre presure

to little and you smoke the clutches/bands to hig and you blow seals.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Old Scout said:

A full manual valve body is a racing mod and will ware out stock clutches 2x as fast. They run at full pressure all the time.
please explane :confused: why do shift kits extend life then

quicker the sift less the actual rubbing betwen clutches = less wear

I can see a full manual valve body blowing hard parts cuz it such a hard shock blow when it shifts at WOT

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Chief yelling alot said:

please explane :confused: why do shift kits extend life then

quicker the sift less the actual rubbing betwen clutches = less wear

I can see a full manual valve body blowing hard parts cuz it such a hard shock blow when it shifts at WOT
its not only a hard shift at WOT, but all the time. ;)

get a np435 :beer:

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Just as an FYI, i ran my 727 without a kick down for 200 miles. Now i have first gear left, and it slips bad. Yeah, it will burn up a 727 THAT fast. DO NOT MOVE the truck without the kickdown. I believe the lokar kickdown cable makes a real easy hookup.

Garrett

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
BTW, as a recap for you, the kickdown cable effects how much pressure is applied on the clutch packs. basically with it off, you will be running idle pressure at WOT. slips like hell, burns up clutch packs.

Garrett

1 - 14 of 14 Posts