Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hooking up my Art Carr and got to thinking about the kickdown cable. I have installed a transgo shift kit in the 727 that will hold or shift up/down to 1st and 2nd at any rpm, but will shift automatically in drive. My rig will be driven 90/10 in favor of the trail.

Do I really need the kickdown cable?

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
BigHG said:
But I don't get the pressure part.
Why not sit down and read your shop manual?

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Hayraker said:
Hey OldScout, I don't have a manual. Would it be possible for you to take pictures of the remaining pages and post them for me?

:flipoff2: :flipoff2:
noyoucheapsuck:flipoff2:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why not sit down and read your shop manual?
Thanks Old Scoot for that fine read :flipoff2: but it really doesn't tell me much about the pressure other than it can be adjusted.

Being the slush box neophyte that I am, I am trying to uderstand the correlation of the throttle to the transmission. It would seem that with a full manual throttle body ( mine is almost) that I could shift this thing manually and it should not matter what the throttle is doing. If the engine is lugging when I hit the gas, I would downshift it just like a manual. Isn't that what the cable triggers , a downshift under load at lower rpms? Or is there more to it that I am missing. :confused:

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
BigHG said:

Thanks Old Scoot for that fine read :flipoff2: but it really doesn't tell me much about the pressure other than it can be adjusted.

Being the slush box neophyte that I am, I am trying to uderstand the correlation of the throttle to the transmission. It would seem that with a full manual throttle body ( mine is almost) that I could shift this thing manually and it should not matter what the throttle is doing. If the engine is lugging when I hit the gas, I would downshift it just like a manual. Isn't that what the cable triggers , a downshift under load at lower rpms? Or is there more to it that I am missing. :confused:
Are you really that cluesless? It tells you that the pressure valve works off of the movement of the kickdown lever! :rolleyes:

A full manual valve body is a racing mod and will ware out stock clutches 2x as fast. They run at full pressure all the time.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
it controls line presure, difrent gear difrent clutches, bands applyed all requre presure

to little and you smoke the clutches/bands to hig and you blow seals.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Old Scout said:

A full manual valve body is a racing mod and will ware out stock clutches 2x as fast. They run at full pressure all the time.
please explane :confused: why do shift kits extend life then

quicker the sift less the actual rubbing betwen clutches = less wear

I can see a full manual valve body blowing hard parts cuz it such a hard shock blow when it shifts at WOT

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Chief yelling alot said:

please explane :confused: why do shift kits extend life then

quicker the sift less the actual rubbing betwen clutches = less wear

I can see a full manual valve body blowing hard parts cuz it such a hard shock blow when it shifts at WOT
its not only a hard shift at WOT, but all the time. ;)

get a np435 :beer:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.