Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
the TF999 was a stock trans used in jeeps. I swapped out the junk sr-4 and put a TF904 (basically the same thing as a TF999) in my 1981 CJ-7 and had no problems using the stock front drive shaft. I think you would just need to make sure that the CV doesnt hit the skid plate. The drive shaft should go along side the tranny pan and be below the pan. The transfer case (if not clocked) should be at an angle with the front output shaft lower than the tranny.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put my non drive shaft up to it and it was about 1/2 a inch away from the Tranny pan.

If my CV shaft won't work I'll turn the knuckles and make my LP D44 a HP D44.

I'm not using the stock Skid. I'll be making a custom cross member and skid.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Wow apparently you don't know what a LP and HP D44 are... By rotating your knuckles you change your pinion angle, it doesn't make it a "HP D44". LP means the pinion is below the center line of the ring gear and HP means the pinion is above the center line of the ring gear...

You also need to reasearch your drive shaft situation more because if you run double cardan shafts the pinion is supposed to point at the t-case out put, and if you run single cardan shafts it is supposed to have parallel out put shafts and pinion.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heepjeep, Thanks , I didn't know about the HP and LP diffrence. I thought it was just the pinion angle.

The info on the CV was also good.

From your post I take it you don't have a front CV shaft?..

Anyone here with a CVfront drive shaft with a TF999 /D300 combo? I don't want to buy the CV yoke for the D300 if it's not going to fit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not sure why you would need a CV shaft in the front. I thought a CV shaft was used when there were length issues with the drive shaft being to short or at an extreme angle. The front drive shaft on my CJ is a lot longer than the rear so the angle is not as steep in the front.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My front drive shaft is at a very bad angle. My CJ5 has CV DS front and rear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts