Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I haven t seen any big fights about hei and tfi. whats the diff? How bout a new msd or aft. mkt. ignition?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I don't know much about the HEI setup other than it is a neat and clean way to go. Few components often means less things break. I have the TFI setup on my Bronco and am pretty familiar with it. I have read the writeups for the swap. It seems like the cheapest way to go if you find the parts second hand. It is a good setup. I run an MSD 6AL through a stock distributor and a Pertronix Ignitor II to eliminate the points. It has run very well for a number of years that way on a 304 and now my 360. I am considering the TFI swap though. The stock distributor is the weak link if there is one. I am considering a number of upgrades, to include an MSD distributor or add the TFI swap. On my bronco, I also run the 6AL piggybacked to the TFI. I really like this setup. It runs really well and can be removed in two minutes incase of a failure of the MSD box. There have been a number of recent threads concerning MSD failures that have caught my eye. I have never had one go bad......... One thing to keep in mind is that if you plan to go FI at some time later, the ignition may be included, or a certain type may be required to get all the control of the system. It would suck to pony up for a high dollar ignition and then find out it wasn't compatible with the FI.

·
Registered
21,239 Posts
Depends what motor you're talking.

IIRC, The HEI is by far the easiest way to go on the I-6.

TFI is the easiest and cheapest on the AMC V8.

HEI might not necessarily be more "dependable," because although there are fewer items to go bad, that one item is relatively expensive. TFI spreads out the possible oops, but also replacement costs; most are easy junkyard finds.

As for performance comparison, it's pretty much a wash.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
258-I need cheap, easy, better MPG,some perf. gain would be great. Looking for reliability. I nave no intentions of going FI. The MC 2100 still isn't what I call smooth, but its a hell of a sight better than the carter. I really want to see the diff. with a better ignition.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I have had stock electronic, DUI hei and now MSD with stock distributor on my CJ with a 304

The Stock ignition sucked.

The DUI HEI is a hugh difference but the cap is BIG and would always hit the PS pump

The MSD is equal to if not better then the HEI on my v8, I have more power on the low end then the HEI, but overall its equal to the hei.

If I was todo it again I would go MSD.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I;ve been lookink at jnk yd hei's, thats why I'd never heard of that as a name brand. Thanks. I bought a new mc2100 convinced it was worth the x-tra $$ How about the HEI, new or used? With new rotor of course. :smokin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts