Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is my story and I not sure what to do now. Well I have spend the money for the TG steering pump kit, TG steering box(tapped), TG steering ram and TG high steer kit. I have installed it. My problem is at idle the box is very loud like there is air in the system when you first bleed it. I have check all my connection and gone over everything many time for leaks and the fluid is not foamy. Also TG has send me a new pump and I installed that to but that didnt help. The only thing I can think of next is putting a new box on. I was wounding if anyone has had this problem or have any ideas. Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm not using their pump or box...just their ram and high steer kit. I did fill the reservoir up with top off. Jacked the front of the truck off the ground...and slowly turned the wheel right to left about 40 times engine off/ lock to lock. Added more fluid and repeated it with engine on and cap on. Worked for me. I do have a cooler from a Chevy I got from P-N-P. Other then that I never had a problem with their ram. I use ATF not power steering fluid.
Mike

I have a modified reservoir...I cut the top off of one and the bottom off another one...welded them together and it works for me.
here is their web cite. http://www.trail-gear.com/index.html
you can join for free and ask them on their forum.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
I have the same set up from TG. Id bet you still have air it in.. I had to keep turning mine lock to lock for what seemed forever and Id get a bubble every now and then. My pump whines a tiny bit, and gets louder as the heat rises. Not much help, I know. I suppose I should have said you arent alone....

·
Registered
44 Posts
yep, mine did it for a while. I thought I lunched the pump, fill the reservoir up and keep checking it. It doesnt have to be foamy to have air in it. I turned it from lock to lock about 1 billion times, it finally quieted down.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,738 Posts
Did you bleed the steering box?

You have to bleed the box, some have a bleeder like a brake bleeder, you crack it open and let it flow until all that comes out of it is fluid. For the ones that do not, loosen the jam nut on the adjuster three to four turns holding the adjusting screw with a screwdriver, lift the washer off the housing (it is a washer with a built in O ring). Let it flow until no more air comes out. Tighten jam nut holding the adjuster screw.

Did you bleed the ram?

I always have the ram disconnected and hanging by the hoses with the fittings straight up to get all the air out of the ram, cycle it from lock to lock 4-5 times.

Is your reservoir the highest thing in the system?

The out line on the reservoir (the one going to the pump) needs to be higher then the pump (air travels up).

The last time I bled mine it was all done by gravity. I was working on the truck and I kept topping of the reservoir over two days. When I started it up to bleed it there was no air in the system and very little in the box.

·
Registered
439 Posts
a buddy of mine had issues with that pump. the problem was with the press fit pulley and the steel shaft on the pump drive. the first one he had the pulley came off after 5 minutes on the trail. the pump shaft did not have threads or any type of woodruff key or splines. the second one they sent lasted about 10 min and did the same thing. this time the pump had a threaded shaft on the inside that we were able to find a bolt to fit into to hold the pulley on. we actually wheeled it all that day and the next day with no problems but it was still a bit of a hassle and the fact we had the bolt was pure luck because it is a std course thread. from what he says they are supposed to send another pump. im sure there was a logical explanation and im all about testing products but damnit man thats alot of money for a steering pump that required jimmy rigging to work how it should. im sure they will figure out , if they havent already, that that press fit aint worth a fuck.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,738 Posts
The PSC pump I got was a press fit but it also had a woodruff key and a threaded hole in the center of the shaft that I put a bolt in. I have never had a problem with the PSC pump. I would not trust a press fit if it had a key or not.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Well here is my story and I not sure what to do now. Well I have spend the money for the TG steering pump kit, TG steering box(tapped), TG steering ram and TG high steer kit. I have installed it. My problem is at idle the box is very loud like there is air in the system when you first bleed it. I have check all my connection and gone over everything many time for leaks and the fluid is not foamy. Also TG has send me a new pump and I installed that to but that didnt help. The only thing I can think of next is putting a new box on. I was wounding if anyone has had this problem or have any ideas. Thanks
The first thing that I would like to mention is that the t/c style pump is going to make more noise than the Toyota pump due to the higher pressure and volume of fluid that the pump is moving. It should not be annoyingly loud.

You have most likely already checked and double checked all of the fitting for leaks, but even a very small leak means that you will be sucking air into the system. You will not always see the leaks on the low pressure side of the system. Please check every connection closely to make sure they are tight. Check the push-lok connections to make sure that the hoses are all the way to the stops.

Run the system lock to lock for a awhile on jack stands and then drive it around the block a few times then let it cool overnight. You may have to do this a couple of times. Giving the system a chance to cool works pretty good.

Please give us a call on Monday at the shop if you cannot get the system to bleed out.

Matt

·
Registered
439 Posts
yea i couldnt believe that there was nothing to hold it on the pump. i mean they expect us to buy their products but when they charge so much for a part you expect it will work. im not bashing trail gear but if it were me i would have thought about engineering a part that will last, maybe it would cost a little more to manufacture it with a woodruff key and a bolt to hold the pulley on but it couldnt be much more and you wouldnt have to send a customer 3 pumps and have them pissed of at you. granted they stepped up and made it right as they always do but i guess thats just part of the whole research and development and innovation that most of the venders (marlin, trail gear, all pro, fror, skys..ect) they depend on customer feedback as a part of their r &d and personally thats fine with me but id like to be the one getting rich!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
yea i couldnt believe that there was nothing to hold it on the pump. i mean they expect us to buy their products but when they charge so much for a part you expect it will work. im not bashing trail gear but if it were me i would have thought about engineering a part that will last, maybe it would cost a little more to manufacture it with a woodruff key and a bolt to hold the pulley on but it couldnt be much more and you wouldnt have to send a customer 3 pumps and have them pissed of at you. granted they stepped up and made it right as they always do but i guess thats just part of the whole research and development and innovation that most of the venders (marlin, trail gear, all pro, fror, skys..ect) they depend on customer feedback as a part of their r &d and personally thats fine with me but id like to be the one getting rich!
We did our best in the testing phase of this product. The pumps and pulleys were ran for over a year on 3 different vehicles. Numerous revisions were made to the pumps before coming to the final design. It never fails though, as soon as you think the design is ready for the consumer and a pulley falls off.

In regard to the pricing, the kit is priced well under the competition for what you actually get. You will have to buy the mounts, reservoir and cooler individually. I think that if you shop around you will see that the TG price is very good.

Anyway....back on topic. How does the steering feel? Is it working properly, but just loud?

Matt

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
Anybody ever seen a pump and pulley other than a Toyota? Lots of OEM cars and trucks have the same type of press on pulley. My high dollar high zuit pumps from Station at POS and Tommy Lee at Lee Mfg. use a press fit pulley. P style and N style pumps use it, too.

After removing a pulley a few times, it looses its tollerance for an acceptable press fit and will spin off when the pump lugs down under load. It can usually be kept on by threading a bolt into the end of the shaft as mentioned. Since I couldn't find a replacement pulley, that is what I did. No problem.

As for the noise, if it's really loud, just keep bleeding it as mentioned. Sometimes it helps to park at an angle to put the reservoir much higher than the rest of the system. Sometimes you just need a cooler and a bigger reservoir.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Funny, because you or another TG staff said they had it installed on a buggy and maybe a DD and said it was quieter than stock... not that its a big deal, but still. NOT knocking the stuff. I got a 2nd pump and it is holding strong!!

I cant seem to keep air out, its the only logical explaination. I love the set up, just noisey. Cant wait to see what is next.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The pump

I would say that box works correctly but it feels like it has air in it and no power at idle and at high rpm it works fine. I i dont know if I need to keep bleeding it. Im about ready to give up on it. Im out of ideas

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I would say that box works correctly but it feels like it has air in it and no power at idle and at high rpm it works fine. I i dont know if I need to keep bleeding it. Im about ready to give up on it. Im out of ideas
Please give us a call on Monday so that we can talk instead of all this typing.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Like I said, my power steering is ALL TG, hysteer is AP, anyway, mine is plenty strong at idel too. Still have lots of play, but thats not a TG issue.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am the guy Subliminal is referring to. First off, I have bought MANY products from TG. out of all the stuff I got I have had only one problem. TG has always stepped up and worked hard to resolve this problem. I have personally talked with Matt and he has gone out of his way to try and keep me happy with my purchase from TG. there aren't many companies out there that would take the time to do that sort of thing. I look at it this way, TG and the other companies out there are trying to offer us products that work, and save us time and money. I'm sure I could have gotten all the parts myself and did all the research and fab work, but I work 11 hour days... I just don't have the time for all that. these guys are spending there time trying to develope better stronger and less expensive products! I'm going to buy from companies like TG as long as they offer good customer service.. and as long as they are still making efforts to improve there products and this "sport".
Thank you

Scott "Screwball" Planz
President of Florida Association of Toyota Trucks
www.FATTshack.com

·
Banned
115 Posts
I am the guy Subliminal is referring to. First off, I have bought MANY products from TG. out of all the stuff I got I have had only one problem. TG has always stepped up and worked hard to resolve this problem. I have personally talked with Matt and he has gone out of his way to try and keep me happy with my purchase from TG. there aren't many companies out there that would take the time to do that sort of thing. I look at it this way, TG and the other companies out there are trying to offer us products that work, and save us time and money. I'm sure I could have gotten all the parts myself and did all the research and fab work, but I work 11 hour days... I just don't have the time for all that. these guys are spending there time trying to develope better stronger and less expensive products! I'm going to buy from companies like TG as long as they offer good customer service.. and as long as they are still making efforts to improve there products and this "sport".
Thank you

X2

1 - 20 of 33 Posts