Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did you modify your adapter to clock the 203 upside down on the back of your Th-400? Did you make a whole new adapter?

I priced a 1" thick piece of alum to make a new adapter from. Not a pretty picture. I need about 1.375" thick alum to make the adapter from one piece, but was thinking of just bolting on the additional .375"

Im switching from a TH-350 to a TH-400 right now, and since the 400 has an asymetrical bolt pattern it doesn't just rotate up like the 350 adapter did.

Any help?

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
A while ago there was a fawker selling odd shaped pieces of aluminum on Ebay pretty cheaply. Thick shit too. I ended up going steel, but the price of the aluminum was right

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No pics? Dimensions? no other details? I know Im not the only other guy doing this.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
the stock adapter will fit one of 2 waws "stock"and "180*from stock"how much are you looking to spend on an adapter plate I have a stock one in great shape PM if interested

·
Registered
900 Posts
This is a little off topice but how did you clock your 203 behind your TH350? I would love to get that thing up some. thanks

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jstarnes said:
the stock adapter will fit one of 2 waws "stock"and "180*from stock"how much are you looking to spend on an adapter plate I have a stock one in great shape PM if interested
A th-400 adapter will not rotate 180 or anyother way for that matter. It will only fit the way it came from the factory. All 6 holes have to be relocated. I have two nice stock Th-400 to 203 adapters. One is going to be modified to fit my upside down 203, or I will make a new adapter.

What I want to know is details on how people have modified their stock adapters. Im sure there are people here that have done it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
i think i talked to stephen at ord about this and he might have mentioned just redrilling and tapping the 203 case in the front to the desired clocking.......but i'm not sure......just go look:rolleyes:

hope it works out for ya........

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im going to have it done before anyone with some information replys to this thread :D

Got any input on this?....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dobsogj said:
I had WMS modify mine to run upside down. They welded the holes up, and re-drilled them
Do you have any pics? It should take a bit more than just welding up the holes.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Seems like I'm seeing more and more of these flipped range boxes lately. I'm particularly interested since I'm accumulating parts to start a doubler. I've given up on finding reasonable parts for a TH400/203 doubler setup (plus the worry of finding more if something breaks), so I've decided to go with the common TH350/203. With the 4 bolt adapter on the TH350, clocking is cake. I’m already planning to have the 205 clocked up 2” or so, and I’m wondering, should I flip the range box? I’ve got less sheet metal remaining than the Freak so it’s not an issue of fitting it in.

Are there any other down sides to flipping it? Maintenance issues, oil fill levels, etc...

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I havent had any problems with mine being clocked up behind my TH-350. It makes making shifters easier too. The gain in clearance is more than noticable. I just wish I had not clocked my 205. Id rather have better drivshaft angles than the clearance. It made routing my 3" exhaust a real PITA. I wouldnt have been able to fit it if I didnt have a 3" bodylift.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
So, would you not clock the 205 at all, or just not as much? 2" seems pretty good from what I've seen, and I use a single 3" exhaust down the driver's side, so that's not a problem. Only thing is getting the cross over to clear the shaft, but with the 205 moved back 10" or so, it shouldn't be too bad I think. With only 4" of lift, angles on the shafts also should be reasonable. So, what do you say on the 205 clocking? None at all, or is 2" about right???

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Go for it. I prolly have 2" more lift than you do, so you should be fine.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Brook,

Definately call Casey, he can hook you up with the machine work on the adaptor.

I have to agree on the Clocking of the NP205 box, it actually hurt me in my installation because the NP205 hit the body around the same time the NP203 box did. So, I have to cut a hole under the passenger seat mount and refab it.

One thing that is nice about it, I will be able to have a flat belly pan in any future buggy projects I might build!

Russ,

Clocking the NP203 upside down is not an issue at all with the TH350, I am filling mine up to the filler hole on the WMS provided cover plate. This will bring the level up above the Idler shaft centerline. Im plumbing all of the vent lines to a Dry Sump Oil System vent canister. So, if it pukes a little fluid, it shouldnt cause problems. If I were you, I would go with the 2" up clocking on the NP205 and upside down on the NP203 box. Should give you a nice combination of the right angles for driveshafts vs. clearance. I HAD to install a 2" body lift or completely gut my floor - and for time constraints, I needed to keep the floor as is.

Should have mine on the road this week - then Testing Begins!!:D

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MudzerK5 said:
Brook,

Definately call Casey, he can hook you up with the machine work on the adaptor.

Even though I really like the work that WMS does, I will not be having them modify my adapter. Several Reasons. One is the from ALaska the shipping would be completely retarded. Turnaround time is another, I need it done yesterday, if you know what I mean. Cost is another issue. I don't want to pay someone for services I can render myself.

Lastly, I want to do it. I believe that is the whole reason behind this board.

I have already finished the adapter mods. Im just waiting to go back to work so I can grab the dimensions and some drawings before I do a write up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts