Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I foudn this thread: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35053&highlight=NP205+info

I don't know how old it is though. Has anyone successfully done the Ford 205 behind the Chevy TH350? I can make my own adapter, but the spud shaft would be the difficult part. I could make that also but would prefer not to have to. Other options are to buy both cases and swap out the parts that I need, but I would prefer not to have to buy 2 cases. And no, I don't want to do the doubler.

J. J.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I'm not sure there "IS" a 27 spline female 205 input gear. I used a TH400 to my Ford 205. I will check my gear book later tonite. if you would consider going to aTH400, I still have my sketch for the adapter I made, and you only have to change the input gear
~85$.

Plus you can use a CHEAP 2wd trans!

WEPS

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Problem is that I've already got this expensive rebuilt TH350 with vale body mods and heavy duty sprag ...

You're right in that there is no 27-spline female input though.

Is there a way to put a 32-spline shaft in my TH350? I have to take it apart soon anyway.

J. J.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
weps said:
I'm not sure there "IS" a 27 spline female 205 input gear. I used a TH400 to my Ford 205. I will check my gear book later tonite. if you would consider going to aTH400, I still have my sketch for the adapter I made, and you only have to change the input gear
~85$.

WEPS

would you mind posting the sketch?????

Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
patooyee said:
Problem is that I've already got this expensive rebuilt TH350 with vale body mods and heavy duty sprag ...

You're right in that there is no 27-spline female input though.

Is there a way to put a 32-spline shaft in my TH350? I have to take it apart soon anyway.

J. J.
I think it is possible to put a 32 spline shaft in it.. A good buddy of mine from Missouri who builds trannys told me he put a 32 spline shaft in a 700r-4 for a customer and told me he could do it for a th350 as well...I will see if I can get you some information tonight.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Sapper said:
Why not run a doubler?

I have a TH350 with a 203 reduction box mated to a 205 Ford.

The would be the easiest route to go and you get better reduction gears at the same time.
thats the same combo I am running too...but he already has been running a 203/atlas doubler...why are you going to just a 205, is it for mog axles low gearing?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
would you mind posting the sketch?????
It will be a day or so,:( it is at the other shop, and I need to clean it up. it is on lined notebook paper:rolleyes: I'll try to post a pic of the adapter tonite.

WEPS

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
weps said:
~85$.

WEPS

Is the 32 spline input you used in the ford 205 included in that $85?? If so, where'd you find it so cheap, or did you already have a th400 version 205?

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Supergper said:

thats the same combo I am running too...but he already has been running a 203/atlas doubler...why are you going to just a 205, is it for mog axles low gearing?
Yes. I found that I very rarely needed the extra 2:1 and to get the ratio that I liked in the old doubler setup using just the Atlas, a 2:1 is all I need for the buggy with mog axles. I am building a much shorter wheelbase in the buggy than I had before also, so getting rid of the doubler helps there, too. (I had a lot of fun with that doubler, I'll be sad to see it go. It truly was awesome. I just don't foresee needing 200:1 in any comp.)

J. J.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Bigger Valves- I re-read my post, and it seems as if I have mislead you:( I made the adapter, it only cost me "time"....
The new gear was 85$ I dont know if anybody makes this adapter. It sure is slick for guys wanting to run a Chevy engine with a Ford drop Tcase though. My apologies if you were ready to get one.
Here is a pic:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Patooey- sorry for hijacking your thread... I am also curious about the 32 spline Summit shaft. anyone got a page or P/N handy?

WEPS

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
weps said:
Bigger Valves- I re-read my post, and it seems as if I have mislead you:( I made the adapter, it only cost me "time"....
The new gear was 85$ I dont know if anybody makes this adapter. It sure is slick for guys wanting to run a Chevy engine with a Ford drop Tcase though. My apologies if you were ready to get one.
Here is a pic:
Not a problem man.. I'm just curious about the 32 spline short female input I assume you put in the Ford np205.. Where did you get that for $85?? That'd be the best price I know of for one unless you just got lucky at a junkyard or something.. I'm going to need just that gear and a doubler adapter when I'm ready to put my duals in so that's why I ask. The only place I know to get that input gear is Offroad Design and they charge about $200.. I've yet to find a th400 np205 in the junkyards or for sale ads.. So basically I want to know if you know of a source for these gears or if you just got lucky. :D

·
Vendor
1,011 Posts
I'd like to know too, that's a smokin price. Benny, keep in mind the input conversion is $200, not just the gear. You get the bearing and a seal and gasket set for that price.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Stephen said:
I'd like to know too, that's a smokin price. Benny, keep in mind the input conversion is $200, not just the gear. You get the bearing and a seal and gasket set for that price.
Right on, Brother.. :D

I emailed you.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Patooyee,
I talked to my friend and I had things backwards. He had put smaller shafts into the th400 for customers.:( He said you couldn't put the th400 shaft into the th350. You might double check with someone like Art Carr to see what they say regarding an aftermarket 32 spline tailshaft. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does anyone have a pic of a TH350 tailshaft out of the tranny? , I might could machine a 31-spliner ...

J. J.

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just for future searches, AA makes a kit to put a Ford 205 on a TH350. It is stock rotation however. So for me to clock it up flat I would have to make my own adapter. The kit utilizes a spud shaft with a 27-spline female and 31 spline male end. The kit runs $580 and the spud shaft runs $280, if I recall correctly. The kit number is 50-6904. I will attach a pdf file later tonight when I am on a computer that can handle them.

J. J.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.